maddy_v_r
basils

musicals are better than normal movies

Started: 1/25/2015 Category: Movies

maddy_v_r

Pro

Musicals are better because they give you something to dance to while the movie is going. Also, the most successful disney movies are musicals.
basils

Con

Ok lets go! I think they take away from the serious moments of movies and make the audience much more aware they are watching a film
maddy_v_r

Pro

I disagree with that statement. I think musicals can enhance the scene rather than take away from it. For example, in les miserables, when Fantine sings I dreamed a dream, so much passion goes into that song that she makes the something terrible that happened to her and twists it into something beautiful and emotional. Sure you can say that non-musicals can make you emotional, but can they make something ugly into something beautiful?
basils

Con

That is my point. There are some scenes that need to be ugly and gut wrenching. With a musical it glosses over that aspect. In most cases I have seen the musical aspect takes away from the plot greatly. Also as I said it makes it all less serious. If someone tried to make a musical out of great movies like Fight Club or Pulp Fiction you wouldn't be able to take all of the darker aspects as serious as you would if it were not a musical.
maddy_v_r

Pro

That's probably because those action movies were not made to be musicals. I'm not saying that normal movies are bad. All I'm saying is that I'd prefer musicals over non musicals. If say frozen was turned into a non musical, it would be boring. Any musical turned into a normal movie would be boring. If les miserables was turned into a non musical, it would be terrible. The music in musicals enhances the scene, not takes away from it. It's like when in some movies the theme music is playing in the background, it enhances the scene. I think that the music in musicals portrays a message that can't be given in spoken word. You can't replace a good song in a musical. I mean, why do you think everybody wants to go to Broadway a one point in their lives? Is it because they want to see a violent action movie? No! They want to see the best kind of play. (A musical obviously)
basils

Con

basils forfeited this round.
maddy_v_r

Pro

maddy_v_r forfeited this round.
basils

Con

I see. By preference you prefer it, however that alone doesn't mean they are better. Yes frozen would be boring without the music because it is a boring movie. While it comes down to opinion, if we look at the top grossing films most, and critically claimed films most are non-musicals. Again you said it best yourself with Frozen, musicals use the music as a crutch for what would be a boring, bland film.
maddy_v_r

Pro

maddy_v_r forfeited this round.
basils

Con

I guess I will end it with this. You are seemingly basing your argument for the most part on your opinion. Going off of plain numbers it would seem as though non-musicals are better.
Posted by djones16 2 years ago
djones16
This is hilarious
Posted by Hud4 2 years ago
Hud4
Maddy are you on drugs
Posted by basils 2 years ago
basils
Sorry I missed it by 30 min...