r.jafet
Rahrahman

must tertiary education be free

r.jafet

Pro

YES tertiary education should be free in all states because education in all states is are basic human right.
Rahrahman

Con

Higher education is a magnificent thing, but to say that it is a right would be comparable to something such as everyone has the right to be wealthy. I would go as far as to saying that college should cost even more and be more competitive as I would say that there has been an "inflation" in a sense when it comes to the college system. University is not the only place where people learn and innovate, and the by-product of higher education does not always equate to being a productive member of society or the workplace of their selected field(s).

A vision that I have for the education system that we (as I would assume that you are a resident of The United States) as a nation could possible do would be as such;
1) Stop telling our youth that college is the way to go
-Not going to college does not automatically assume laziness or being unsuccessful as is the common misconception of our society, as there are alternatives such as trade schools or apprenticeships or even the military option that I had took
2) More focus/spending on the alternatives to higher education
-We need a workforce that knows how to do the jobs that are in demand. Trade schools and apprenticeships are not exactly an attractive option for the average high school student, but I firmly believe it would have a better impact on their careers than college (I cannot express in words the support I would have for you if you were advocating free trade schools and apprenticeship programs)
3) Change does not happen overnight.
-Years of the pursuit of college has transformed our entire job culture, to the point that is a requirement if wanting to succeed to life and the advocacy of free education is curious concept. If the points above are met, we can see a major shift in the future of our college-is-the-only-way-centric society.

Sources; None (I admit that this round I decided to be entirely opinionated and going sort of freehand)
r.jafet

Pro

In today's competitive world the only way to find a decent job is if you hold a degree. It is so strenuous to find a proper work that you would find a person with a degree working at a fast food restaurant. If that is the case imagine were someone with no qualification will work. Generally, university education does offer external benefits to society. Higher education leads to a more productive workforce.

*Equality. University education should be free to ensure equality of opportunity.
*Increased specialisation of work. the global economy has forced countries , such as the UK to specialise in higher tech and higher value added products and services. The UK's biggest export industries include pharmaceuticals, organic chemicals, optical and surgical instruments, and nuclear technology(see: What does the UK produce ?). Therefore the is a greater need for skilled graduates who can contribute to these high-tech industries.
And only tertiary education can equip you with such skills and qualities, therefore Paying tertiary education restraints some people from obtaining such skills and qualities.
Rahrahman

Con

Rahrahman forfeited this round.
r.jafet

Pro

It is a fundamental right of individuals to experience university and to have access to the knowledge it affords. University offers a huge opportunity. It is a treasure trove of knowledge to be gained and experiences to be had. University provides an opportunity that exists at no other time in an individual"s life.It is a time of personal, intellectual, and often spiritual, exploration. In secondary school and in professional life, no such opportunities exist, as they are about instruction and following orders, not about questioning norms and conventions in the same way university so often is.A state can only truly be considered legitimate when an educated electorate approves it. Without a proper education, individuals cannot be effective citizens. A university education in the modern world is essential to the development of such informed citizens. For this reason, free university is a great benefit to a citizen as an exploration for his own development on a personal level, and with his relation to society as a whole. http://www.keydegree.com....
Rahrahman

Con

Rahrahman forfeited this round.
Posted by r.jafet 4 months ago
r.jafet
You just post your argument.
Posted by GenericUser747 4 months ago
GenericUser747
I'd like to debate this topic with you, but I have one question. Is the first round acceptance or should I just start my argument right away in round one?