JGriffin3
Saska

nature is the only thing that affects personality

Saska

JGriffin3

Pro

We can tell the personality of an unborn child in their mothers stomach area.

Often people will turn from their roots because it is not "who they are".
Saska

Con

I accept this debate challenge.

By making the statement "Nature is the only thing that affects personality," you are making that claim that nurture has no affect on personality. You have the BOP to prove that people are a certain way by nature, and that their nature is unchanged by people around them and experiences in their lives. I will accept the BOP as well, in so far as I must show that something other than nurture is capable of impacting personality.

I will argue that people are a product of their nature to some degree, but they are also the product of the people around them and their life experiences.

Here is one solid example of how experience can change the way a person acts and reacts in certain situations, change the way they interact with the people around them and change how they plan for their future: "It's no surprise, once you understand the distress that soldiers experience during war, that they find it hard to be the same, emotionally, ever again. Some may say that their inability to form close bonds with loved ones is due to the experience of near death and the fear that they will leave someone behind. The emotional effects of war on soldiers very often hinders their future achievements too as they find it impossible to imagine or plan. Veterans of war who experience PTSD without adequate counseling and care often do not marry or have children, perhaps because they have experienced near death and have severe difficulty letting go of the idea that they may die any day." [1]

I would argue that an experience like going to war would be enough to effect a person's personality. I believe that this is enough to fill my BOP, that personality can very much be affected by experiences.

[1] http://www.healthguidance.org...
JGriffin3

Pro

I understand were you are coming from. Soldier's witness horrible things and are often never the same. However, PTSD does not change one's personality. It is a terrible condition that affects the way one thinks and acts. It is not who you are.

Any experience or upbringing can affect the way that people act and plan for their future. This is a given. It is not, however, their personality. It is the way they are taught.
Saska

Con

It probably would have been best if we had established a definition of personality at the onset of this debate, but lets go ahead and do that now.

Personality -
: the set of emotional qualities, ways of behaving, etc., that makes a person different from other people
: attractive qualities (such as energy, friendliness, and humor) that make a person interesting or pleasant to be with
: attractive qualities that make something unusual or interesting [1]

"PTSD does not change one's personality. It is a terrible condition that affects the way one thinks and acts. It is not who you are."

The way we think and act is a part of our personality. It is part of what makes us who we are. What is personality if not what we think and how we act? I do not debate that nature does play some role in our personality, but I will argue strongly that life experiences can have an effect on our personality as well. The debate resolution, as you stated it, says that nature is the ONLY thing that affects personality. That is just completely incorrect unless you are basing this on a definition of personality that I have never heard before. But our personality is a combination of how we think and act, and you just admitted that PTSD completely affects the way one thinks and acts.

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
JGriffin3

Pro

JGriffin3 forfeited this round.
Saska

Con

I see no reason to further my arguments. Thank you for the debate.
Vote Placed by Ajabi 2 years ago
Ajabi
JGriffin3SaskaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture, also Pro had the BoP and never gave an argument while Con did show rebut the pseudo argument Pro gave. Conduct and Arguments to Con. Happy to clarify this RFD.
Vote Placed by TrasguTravieso 2 years ago
TrasguTravieso
JGriffin3SaskaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - FF Sp/Gr - The use of "Soldier's" to signify many warriors is irritating. Arguments - There aren't many arguments to speak of on Pro's side, Con demolished Pro's case from the get-go. Sources - Only Con bothered.