twin
xxdarkxx

new york sports teams have more storied and overall better franchises than other cities/states

Started: 4/6/2010 Category: Sports

twin

Pro

the sports teams of new york have far more superior and storied franchises than other cities/states, for example the heavily favored colts lost superbowl three to the jets after joe namoth garunteed a victory the thursday before the game. the win itself is one of the most memorable and iconic moments in sports history. the other two football teams, the giants and bills, have accounted for several other great moments and records, such as buffalo's four strait apperances and losses in the superbowl, and the giants incredible run to defeat the previously unbeaten patriots in superbowl 42. they also set a record twelve strait road game victories before finally losing in week 6 to the cleavland browns after their superbowl season.

on to baseball, the yankees alone have won 27 world series championships and are one of the oldest franchises in baseball history. they also have numerous hall of famers such as babe ruth, yogi berra, and joe dimaggio.

in hockey, the rangers are one of the most storied and oldest franchies in existance: The New York Rangers are a professional ice hockey team based in New York, New York, United States. They are members of the Atlantic Division of the Eastern Conference of the National Hockey League (NHL). Playing their home games at Madison Square Garden, the Rangers are one of the oldest teams in the NHL, having joined in 1926 as an expansion franchise, and are part of the group of teams referred to as the Original Six. The Rangers were the first NHL franchise in the United States to win the Stanley Cup, which they have done four times (most recently in 1994). [new york rangers - wikipedia]

and these are the teams i believe put new york at the top of the charts in american sports, thank you and good luck (you'll need it) to anyone daring enough to challange this debate.
xxdarkxx

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate and wish them the best of luck.

Through my arguments I will look to show not only how New York does not have more storied and better overall franchises, but also how the state of Michigan has far better sports franchises.

----------
Rebuttal
----------

My opponent states,"buffalo's four strait appearances and losses in the super bowl", However this point directly shows that buffalo has a poor franchise history. Despite the fact that the bills had made it to four straight super bowl appearances does not bring to light the point that these are the only super bowl appearances they have ever had[1]. Thus although they have won 2 AFL championships, these were done before the merger and should be disregarded. Also only 9 players from the bills have been inducted into the hall of fame.[2]

Now everyone knows that the Detroit Lions are one of the current worst NFL teams, however they were not always like this. Not only have the lions won 4 NFL championships (1935, 1952, 1953, 1957) but they have also had 16 players inducted into the pro football hall of fame[3]. This seems to say that the lions have been more successful as a franchise.

I can not deny that the Yankee's are indeed one of the most prominent teams in baseball. But I can bring to point that the Detroit Tigers also have quite the history. Having 23 players inducted into the hall of fame, and one of the most famous announcer of all time (Ernie Harwell), they have quite the cast of famous players/staff.[4]

My opponent states, "in hockey, the rangers are one of the most storied and oldest franchise in existence", however PRO only provides the points that the Rangers were part of the original six, and that they have won the Stanley Cup 4 times. However they are definitely not the oldest franchise in existence when it comes to hockey. That title belongs to the Montreal Canadians, who were founded in 1909[5]. Also it is far easier to believe that the Detroit Red Wings are the most storied and one of the most successful franchises in the NHL. First off, the Detroit Red Wings have won the Presidents Trophy 6 times since its introduction, the Rangers have only won it twice[6]. The Red Wings have also won the Stanley Cup 11 times, including 4 times over the past 11 years[7]. A statistic that the Rangers do not even come close to meeting. Also the Red Wings currently boast the record for the most years in a row of making the playoffs. Including this season the Red Wings will have made the playoffs for 19 consecutive season's[8](This is overlooking the year in which nobody made the playoffs during the 04-05 lockout). Also as many people know hockey is a declining sport. However the Red Wings have been able to, despite Detroit, and Michigan's economic failure, continue to rise in popularity. Many traditions are held by the fans of the Red Wings, there are...
1) The Chant "Let's Go Red Wings", which you can hear during almost every power play and during the late stages of the game.
2) When the song Don't Stop Believing by Journey is played the crowd sings along even after the music is stopped playing which is always before the line "Born and raised in South Detroit".
3) The renowned octopus through which takes place not only primarily during the playoffs but has become common place for crucial games against rivals.
Finally the Red Wings have been apart of some of the biggest rivalries in professional sports:
1) Detroit Red Wings vs Chicago Blackhawks
2) Detroit Red Wings vs Anaheim Ducks
3) Detroit Red Wings vs Colorado Avalanche
The third of these is known to be one of the most brutal and fierce rivalries that has ever existed in professional sports. For example one of the most vicious fights that has ever occurred in the NHL.[9] Watch the whole video through you'll be amazed.

In conclusion these points seem enough to prove that Michigan actually has the most storied and overall best franchises.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[5] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[6] http://tinyurl.com...
[7] http://tinyurl.com...
[8] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[9]
twin

Pro

Well thank you for taking this debate, I've been looking for my second win...now onto the problems at hand...

"My opponent states,"buffalo's four strait appearances and losses in the super bowl", However this point directly shows that buffalo has a poor franchise history. Despite the fact that the bills had made it to four straight super bowl appearances does not bring to light the point that these are the only super bowl appearances they have ever had."
They may have had only four superbowl apperance, but that still tops the number the Detroit Lions have had, which stands at an awe enspiring zero. As for the Afl championships, the Bills have won 2. True, but they have won four strait AFC championships, this is considered the successor to the AFL championship post merger, and can be accounted for. The Lion's four NFL championships were also pre merger, and should be discarded. I will also let the fact that you ignored my mention of the Jets and Giants be a failure on your part to produce a refutaion for them, and will extend the arguments for the Jets and Giants.

"But I can bring to point that the Detroit Tigers also have quite the history. Having 23 players inducted into the hall of fame, and one of the most famous announcer of all time (Ernie Harwell), they have quite the cast of famous players/staff." Indeed, they do. In fact, they have the exact same number of hall of fame players as the New York Yankees do. And you've done nothing (most likely because you cannot) to disprove the dominance of the Yankees throughout the years of Major Leauge Baseball.

" Also it is far easier to believe that the Detroit Red Wings are the most storied and one of the most successful franchises in the NHL." Yeah, it is acctually. I really can't do much to refute this, because the Detroit Red Wings are just that good, so I concede that the Red Wings are better than the Rangers.

So, with the exception of hockey, in which I was crushed, I do believe I have made my points short sweet and to the point. Also, I understand that Detroit has only ONE football team, as well as one baseball team as opposed to New York's three football and two baseball teams. However, this only provides more proof that New York's franchises are better and offers me more choice of which teams to pick from for my debate, a fact of which I am willing to take full advantage of. So thanks, I continue to wish you good luck, and I still think you'll need it, and vote PRO...
xxdarkxx

Con

I thank my opponent for their response, now on to my argument.

Indeed there is nothing i can do to refute your point of the yankees just as you can do nothing to refute my point of the red wings, seems it's all tied up. As for your other points you have provided no citations to show that what you say is actually true. For all I, and the voters know you could be making all of your points up, so i urge the voters to disregard your points as you have provided no viable proof.

--------------
Arguments
--------------
I. Michigan Wolverines Football
Michigan (U of M) football is known to be the far greatest college football team ever. For many reasons.
1)U of M has the highest winning percentage in all of Division 1-A football, (.737)
2)U of M has the most all time wins in Division 1-A football, (877)
3)U of M has the most winning seasons in Division 1-A football, (110)
4)U of M has the most undefeated seasons in Division 1-A football, (25)
5)In 1901 U of M went undefeated, untied, unscored upon and also won the Rose Bowl unscored upon they are the only college football team to ever do this.
6)U of M has had over 100,000 fan's in attendance for 222 straight games, a record.
7)U of M has the largest crowd to ever attend a college football game (112,118)
8)U of M has amassed 11 national championships the first four of which were in successive years. Six of which were obtained under the coaching of Fielding Yost
9)U of M has had 25 heisman candidates three of which have won.
10)Finally U of M has what is said to be the most fierce rivalry in all of sports... U of M vs Ohio State.
[1]

II. Detroit Pistons Basketball
The Detroit Pistons may not be the best basketball team that has ever existed, but they have more history than you could ever imagine.
1)From 54-57 the Pistons won the Western Championship (3 seasons), when the NBA had just been merged a few years before in 1949
2)George Yardley became the first player to score 2,000 points in a season (57-58)
3)The Pistons won the first game they played in the NBA 107-84 over the Boston Celtics
4)Dave DeBusschere started coaching at 24 becoming the youngest coach in league history (1964)
5)Dave Bing won rookie of the year in 1966 with 20 points per game average
6)earl Lloyd became the first African American Assistant coach in 1968
7)Bob Lanier won the All star game MVP in 1974
8)Dick Vitale (Acclaimed college basketball analysts) coached the pistons in 77-78
9)Isiah Thomas won the All Star MVP with 21 points and 15 assist in 1984
10)The Pistons won back to back championships in the late 80's over the lakers and trailblazers
11)Chuck Daly was polled in the top 10 coaches of all time in the NBA
12)In 2000-2001 the Sportsmanship trophy was re-named the Joe Dumars Trophy, the year after Joe Dumars won Executive of the year
13)In 03-04 the Detroit Pistons held opponents under 70 points for 5 straight games a record for the shot clock era.
[2]
I look forward to my opponents response.

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2]Hareas, John. Blue Collar Champions. Solana Beach, CA: Canum, 2004. 14-19. Print.
twin

Pro

twin forfeited this round.
xxdarkxx

Con

That is unfortunate, I extend my arguments and would like to thank my opponent for a wonderful debate and strongly urge a CON vote.
Posted by xxdarkxx 6 years ago
xxdarkxx
sammyc96 would you please RFD because you obvious Vote Bombed
Posted by xxdarkxx 7 years ago
xxdarkxx
yeah but you had been gone
Posted by twin 7 years ago
twin
i'm back dude...
Posted by xxdarkxx 7 years ago
xxdarkxx
wow start a debate and then close your account whats up with that
Posted by twin 7 years ago
twin
check profile
Posted by sherlockmethod 7 years ago
sherlockmethod
change the response time to 72 hours and I will take it.
Vote Placed by Korashk 6 years ago
Korashk
twinxxdarkxxTied
Vote Placed by sammyc96 6 years ago
sammyc96
twinxxdarkxxTied
Vote Placed by xxdarkxx 7 years ago
xxdarkxx
twinxxdarkxxTied