pas
JayConar

no violent video games don't cause violence

JayConar

pas

Con

if a kid plays a violent video game and then develops violent behaviors its not because of the video game. you need to look into that childs psyche instead of the video games. i personally think that video games give the person an excuse to take action towards the violent thoughts that their minds fabricated on their own. there is obviously something wrong with the person if they go and do these things just because they play a game that does it. take it from me I'm a teenager who has suffered abuse and bullying. i have been diagnosed with major depression, adhd, and ocd. i have been in programs and stuff to help myself. i have performed self mutilation. and i play cod black ops every night. i am more intuned to becoming violent than normal kids without these issues. but I'm not violent aim one of the sweetest people i know
JayConar

Pro

So, for clarity, I'm arguing that violent video games CAN lead to violence.

Here is an article for you to read http://liti4.wordpress.com... - in the article this 17 year old claims that he thought if he shot his parents they would respawn. Now if this guy is telling the truth, then that proves beyond doubt that the violent video game (Halo 3 in this case) was the cause of the violence, and even if he was lying, the reason that he shot his parents was because they WOULD NOT let him play Halo 3, so he killed them. This shows an addiction to the violent video game that allows for extraneous violence to occur, therefore proving that the violent video game caused violence, thus proving that violent video games CAN lead to violence. That is to say, violent video games do not ALWAYS cause violence, but CAN in some cases.

Now, your argument used the term 'psyche', which is defined as the human soul. You claimed that violence is not caused by playing a violent video game, but by the person's soul. Therefore, burden of proof is on you to prove that humans have souls. If you cannot prove that humans have souls, then, as you have not given any other reason that violence may occur, you are accepting that kids who have played violent video games and then become violent are violent due to those violent video games.

I look forward to your argument.
pas

Con

pas forfeited this round.
JayConar

Pro

Con forfeit, vote pro.
pas

Con

pas forfeited this round.
JayConar

Pro

Why has forfeiting become so popular? Points to me!
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
Unfortunately your personal experience is reflective of the reality of the situation. Here's an example:
http://www.cdc.gov...

The data only goes back 20 years, but I'm sure we can find older data as well. Were there metal detectors when you were in school? Were concealable pistols commonplace? That might answer your questions, depending on your age.

Your second paragraph implicitly makes a collection of assertions which we haven't even brought up yet. I also don't know if what you are saying there is true and you provide no data to support it.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
I have probably lived much longer than you have. And I have seen much increase in violence. Why do you suppose there are metal detectors in schools? Never heard of such a thing when I went to school. Never heard of any school shootings by other kids either.Maybe the news was much slower.But I do not think so.

There has to be a reason that just maybe 100 years ago kids could bring their rifles to school so they could hunt after school and there was never a problem.Now kids are expelled for just drawing a picture of their second amendment right to own one. That is what liberals do. They socially engineer society, and when it goes all wrong, they over compensate with stupid laws and regulation to try to stop the problems they caused.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
That's not what I meant. It's correct that you did connect it. What I meant when I said you didn't 'establish' a connection between them is that you haven't shown that the connection you are making is actually legitimate or true. It just looks like your opinion, as far as I can tell.

Is there an increase in violence among youth? I'm fairly certain that youth violence is much lower now than it was in almost any other period of history. The same is true with violence in general. I'm not currently debating the topic, so I'm not going to spend the time collecting research articles and statistics on it, but you can do your research and confirm or disconfirm this.

My point is that it isn't enough to just say there is a connection. You actually need to show this connection or provide some evidence. At least show some correlation or other statistics.

Why would it be wrong to hang 'you shall not kill'? I don't think it would change the number of murders at all, or have any useful effect, but why would it be wrong to put that up somewhere in a school?
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
I did connect it .You just missed seeing it.Video games are just 1 factor explaining the increase in violence among youth. You take away accountability and then throw in there that we are just mistakes of nature, and you have the recipe for columbine and sandy hook.

Of course it would be so wrong to hang " you shall not kill" in our schools.
Posted by JayConar 2 years ago
JayConar
There's more debating going on in the comments section than in the debating rounds xD
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
You haven't established a connection between any of the things you just mentioned and video games. You also haven't really responded to my previous point.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Why do you think cops have problems with sleeping. And those who come back from war. They are against the violence and yet have to deal with it.Why do you think we have metal detectors in our schools?Those violent video games show just violence for violence sake. It is not like a movie where bad guys do awful things. It also shows the bad guy gets it in the end. Which has a responsible for your actions theme.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
"hear only good" sounds like a call to ignore bad things, which I don't think helps.
Based on what you said, one would expect police officers and lawyers to be prone to violence, but I'm not sure that's true either.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
I know what Jesus had to say about it. He said take heed what you hear. What goes in your mind, for with what measure you put in there is the measure that will come out.

He also said, " out of the good deposit of a good man's heart, good things come to pass. And out of the evil deposit of an evil man's heart, evil comes to pass, for out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks." For life and death are in the power of the tongue.

I guess Jesus is my source for what I believe.If you want good things to come to pass, hear only good. Evil will bring evil to pass. That is why there is so much death all around us.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
@cheyennebodie That is one opinion. Another opinion is that there is a natural urge for violence that can be 'satisfied' through violent video games, leaving the individual less likely to commit violent acts in real life. The question is what does the evidence suggest.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
pasJayConarTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff