vi_spex
DJ-Gold

nothing is 0, information is nothing, and everything is 1

vi_spex

Pro

3 divided by 0 is 3

or, you cant show me 0 bananas. an imaginary man can never drink a real soda
DJ-Gold

Con

For my counter-argument, I'm going to go back to the really basic mathematics which I learned at the beginning of Primary School (I'm British - basically 1st grade, I think). Division is, in essence, how many times does this go into that. For example:

4/2 (Four divided by two)

How many times does two go into four?

Twice.

So, that wasn't so hard. When you get down to stuff like 0, it admittedly does get a little more tricky. Let's take your example:

3/0 (Three divided by zero)

How many times does zero go into three?

Well, it's most certainly not 3. 3/1 (three divided by one) is three. One goes into three three times. Simple maths.

When you divide anything by 0 you don't get a value. A calculator will return something like "Error", "Math Error", or suchlike. It's not infinity, as many people will want to say, as infinity isn't actually a number, it's a concept, so you can't really use it in the same terms as we use other numbers, including irrational numbers like pi or route 2. It doesn't work within the human brain at all.

With regards to this, we define (where "n" = any value) n/0 as - oddly enough - undefined.

How many times does zero go into three?

The human mind cannot do this equation very well. It doesn't work with our logic. If I asked you, "How many jugs filled with 1 liter of water can you pour into a 3 liter jug?", you'd say "3" (unless you were terrible at maths). However, if I asked, "How many empty jugs can you pour into a 3 liter jug?", you would probably say something along the lines of either, "You can't pour anything because there's nothing there!", or "You could go on forever because the jug would never fill up.". The latter is probably the most correct, so let's go with that for now. I know I said earlier that it wasn't infinity, but heck, nobody has any idea at all, so I'm not explaining any more than what we actually do know.

Let's just go with undefined, and leave it at that. If you work on an atomic level, the jug's technically always full anyway; and we are the jug; and the table the jug is sitting on... and everything else in the universe.

Makes a whole lot more sense than 3/0 = 3 anyway.
vi_spex

Pro

3 sodas divided by 0 people is 3 sodas

0 doesn't go into 3 any times, that's why you still have 3, nothing happened, 0 is information, and an imaginary man cant drink a real soda, matter is the opposite of information, and only now is matter, while the future and past is information

it is simple when you know what 0 is, you can never show me 0 bananas, because it can only exist in your imagination, so 0 is information

dividing with 0 is the same as dividing with 1, because you can not divide something by itself, and you can not divide something by nothing
DJ-Gold

Con

I think you're misunderstanding the whole concept of division. If you have three sodas, and one person, you can give that person a soda three times. If you have three sodas and zero people, you can give that non-existent person a soda a near-infinite amount of times, due to the fact that you will never have any less soda. It's not that nothing would happen, you'd just be stuck in an infinite loop of giving soda while never having any less.

What you are saying ~ that 3/0=3 ~ would suggest, rearranging the equation, that ~ 3=3x0 ~. Mathematically, it just doesn't work. I implore you to explain to me how on Earth you think that if you have zero baskets each with three cans of soda, then you have three cans of soda. It really doesn't work. If you have zero baskets, each with three cans of soda, then you have no cans of soda.

While you are technically correct in saying that zero is information, it is only information as much as one, two, three, or one thousand are information. Like all numbers. That doesn't change the fact that a "zero" quantity definitely exists and is agreed upon by pretty much the entire scientific community, therefore, this particular argument you have put across is invalid.

In the way of showing you zero bananas, if you had one banana, and I took that one banana from you, how many bananas do you have left? You do not have one banana. You have zero bananas. Look down into your empty hands. There are zero bananas there. Exactly the same as when I look outside my house and see that I have zero sports cars. In fact, if you think of anything that you do not possess, then look into an empty space, you are effectively being shown zero of whatever that thing is.

A new argument for you is this. 3/1=3, this is true, but how can 3/0 also equal 3 when 3/0.5=6? If you take the form a/n = b, where "a" can be any number, when "n" becomes less than 1, "b" increases exponentially. Essentially, as the denominator tends to 0, the answer tends to infinity. What you are suggesting is that once "n" becomes 0, the answer just immediately drops down to the original "a" again. This is completely implausible.

Please, feel free to post your counter argument to any of the above. Thank you!
vi_spex

Pro

no simply... you can not divide with 0 and 1... as division is separation, so 1 and 0 not separating anything, means nothing is being divided

now you bring adding into as if it has any value.. if you give a person a soda 1 at a time, you adding no division is going on..

if I have 3 sodas, and I divide them by myself, I have 3 sodas.............................. you don't even know basic math

3 sodas.............. shared by NO people............ is 3 sodas (3/0=3)
DJ-Gold

Con

DJ-Gold forfeited this round.
vi_spex

Pro

vi_spex forfeited this round.
DJ-Gold

Con

DJ-Gold forfeited this round.
vi_spex

Pro

vi_spex forfeited this round.
DJ-Gold

Con

Well, I sincerely apologize for the period of silence. I am aware we are down to the last round so to sum up:

3/0 cannot equal 0 as that would require 0x0 to equal 3 (mathematical falsehood)

"Nothing" exists because there is evidence of it all around us (anything you "lack")

I... don't really think there's anything else to say, bar apologize for my previous typing error where i stated that 3/0=3 would imply that 3=3x0, which should have been 3=0x0. Overall, thank you for the debate, and good health to you.
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
no problem, anytime
Posted by DJ-Gold 2 years ago
DJ-Gold
So terribly sorry on the forfeit of that last round. The weather here has been absolutely abysmal for the past few days and the internet throughout the region was cut off. I will be right back to debating after you have posted your next argument, at which point i hope to counter BOTH previous arguments you will have made. Once again, I apologize.
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
sry I was a bit rude here
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Mister_Man
lol Aerogant pt. 2