dairygirl4u2c
MrMoney

nuclear energy is better than our current energy system

dairygirl4u2c

Pro

they've made a lot of head way with nuclear energy safety since the disasters of the past, such as Chernobyl Fukushima. that is why even though other nations are expanding the technology, you dont hear much about problems or disasters. those two incidents are only two problems in the decades and decades of nuclear energy. every technology has problems, air pollution, oil spills etc.... but nuclear while not perfect is good enough and better than the others. this will reduce air pollution and give us free energy. in fact, the two incidents mentioned didn't have major death tolls, and have relatively minor burden on people. our current situation with air pollution kills millions every year.
other nations are having a lot of success with this technology and will have a leg up over us.
MrMoney

Con

I would like to start by thanking my opponent for this debating opportunity

I will attack my opponent's points then give some of my own.

My opponent talks about how much we have advanced since Chernobyl. But we cane ver be sure. Chernobyl was a horrible tragedy that has left lasting effects to this day on soil. In places like Belgium where they were hardly hit the ground is still not farmable. People got cancer from this horrible tragedy and animals were lost. We might say we are ready but we can never be truly ready. We never know when another Chernobyl might happen and leave a lasting stain on the Earth. Nuclear is just to big of a risk.

I will now observe the rather broad resolution in where he stated "the current system". The current system is filled with several energy sources. We have every thing from oil to natural gas to hydroelectricity. The current system is an efficient system. It gets gas in our cars and allows us to live the lifestyle we do today. So when he states "the current system". We see a great system. Solar and wind are coming along as cheap alternatives. Gas and Coal and Natural gas has helped for a long time. We can't say "the current system" and see some horrible world. We sat "the current system and we see a futuristic system looking to lower pollution and benefit society.
dairygirl4u2c

Pro

if nothing every happens with a nuclea plant, that is reason enough to say we are ready.

the current system involves the potential for alternative energy, as a stretch. it in fact involvves millions of deaths per year from air pollution and oil spills and other calamities
MrMoney

Con

To say that since nothing has happened means we are ready is a extremely false statement. Nothing major had happened with Chernobyl until the accidents. The Chernobyl accident killed 30 operators and firemen within the first 3 months. Acute Radiation Syndrome was diagnosed to 237 people on site. There were several cases of childhood thyroid cancer involved.

http://www.world-nuclear.org...

We can't truly be ready for such a calamity. Our current system allows for a diverse portfolio of efficient energy methods. Wind and solar both are becoming more common.

Wind and Solar are both clean, little to no pollution energy sources. Nuclear is risky and can be catastrophic to the environment and human health.
dairygirl4u2c

Pro

con shows small problems relatively due to chernoblyl. oil air pollution kills millions.

this debate was about the 'current system' which clearly is oil v nuclear with a focus. con is tryin to switch it to alternatve
MrMoney

Con

MrMoney forfeited this round.
Posted by Chris_F 2 years ago
Chris_F
Mind if I accept this? Personally, I agree with the Pro standpoint, but this seems relatively easy to play devil's advocate on.