olzhasz
SlaterJ23

online education

SlaterJ23

olzhasz

Pro

What kind of education is better?
Generally accepted opinion is that people should get a traditional education to be successful. On the grounds that online education appeared relatively lately, some people do not know all the advantages of online education.
Firstly, online education is on distance. In a way people could easily study in a foreign university with the help of online education. Moreover, it also helps people with some disabilities. For instance, it is very hard for people on wheelchairs to attend classes. Not only disabled people can get some benefits but also people with not " flexible schedule; for example: people who work full time, pregnant women or busy and active people.
SlaterJ23

Con

Yes people with disabilities may have an easier time with the use of online education however in the world we live in now human to human interaction is vastly depleting and if school is to be taken away completely for all students that would cause even more imbalance to social structure. Being a kid I understand technology fairly well having grown up with it my whole life. I won't lie the capacity is incredible however it is on the path to take over life as we know it. Everyday you see people walking, jogging, and even driving on the phone. People are texting, tweeting, calling, and facebooking with one another instead of seeing them face to face. Online classes would only be the next step to further remove people from a social interaction with one another. Not only that but also imagine you take classes online. You have your laptop next to your bed and wake up whenever you feel is most convenient. You go online and open your classes still in your pajamas and have no care in the world. It would seem to me that this would end up being a pattern of laziness that would develop your future. If classes are now online I don't have to leave the house to go to school anymore. What is next? The further expansion of "work from home"? Now you have already been brought up in the way that everything is so convenient for me why must I leave for work? Getting up in the morning, getting ready, taking a shower, and being productive yields far better results than staying inside all day doing class work online. Going to school or class allows you to interact with one another and prepares you for the real world of having to wake up and go to work in the morning. Now aside from the social aspect of it; studies have shown that online classes do not necessarily result in better grades or success. A recent study by the Community College Research Center at Columbia University's Teachers College showed that in a test of 40,000 students enrolled in approx. 500,000 online classes almost every group of students did worse than they did in a traditional classroom. Students who did poorly to begin with in college that chose to try online classes in an effort to boost their grades did even more poorly than they had already done. A dramatic improvement is needed to the quality of the online classes however it would take "substantial new investments in course design, faculty professional development, learner and instructor support, and systematic course evaluations."(Lederman) At the end of the day a student must ask themselves a very important question. Am I going to school to learn life skills and learn how to be successful in the future, or am I going to get a diploma?

http://www.insidehighered.com...
http://sethughes.hubpages.com...
olzhasz

Pro

olzhasz forfeited this round.
SlaterJ23

Con

SlaterJ23 forfeited this round.
olzhasz

Pro

olzhasz forfeited this round.
SlaterJ23

Con

I continue my points from earlier since i cannot rebuttal against my opponent.
Vote Placed by utahjoker 4 years ago
utahjoker
olzhaszSlaterJ23Tied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO FF twice
Vote Placed by newbiehere 4 years ago
newbiehere
olzhaszSlaterJ23Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro took it upon himself to argue that online classes are better than traditional ones, but only succeeded in showing that they are an okay substitute in some cases, thanks in part to Con demonstrating that students who take online courses do poorer than those in traditional classrooms (with sources). Pro forfeited.