vi_spex
darthebearnc

only now is true, now is matter

darthebearnc

vi_spex

Pro

the future and past is information, and my imagination only happens now, information is nothing and matter is something, 0 and 1
darthebearnc

Con

Introduction

First of all, I would like to thank my respected and competent opponent for creating this debate. I look forward to discussing this topic and wish Pro the best of luck.

Burden of Proof

As Pro is affirming the contention that "only now is true, now is matter," he must fulfill the Burden of Proof in order to win the debate. Meanwhile, if I negate each of my opponent's claims and his Burden of Proof is unfulfilled by the end of the debate, I am the winner.

Definitions

As my opponent has not provided definitions, I am free to provide them myself.

only - adverb - without others or anything further; alone; solely; exclusively:

now - adverb - at the present time or moment:

true - adjective - being in accordance with the actual state or conditions; conforming toreality or fact; not false:

matter - noun - the substance or substances of which any physical object consists or iscomposed:

information - noun - knowledge communicated or received concerning a particular fact orcircumstance; news:

knowledge - noun - acquaintance with facts, truths, or principles, as from study orinvestigation; general erudition:

All definitions gathered from dictionary.reference.com.

Rebuttals

"the future and past is information"

I agree with this statement - both the future and past can be understood using information. However, as provided by my definitions, information is knowledge, and knowledge is true. Therefore, my opponent himself has confirmed that the future and past are both true. His contention that "only now is true" is hence negated.

"my imagination only happens now"

The reality of this statement is irrelevant to whether my opponent's initial contention is true or not. One's imagination is not necessarily related to what is actually true - in fact, imagination is often related to what is true only in one's mind and untrue in reality. My opponent must provide proof that imagination only happens now and that it is necessarily related to what is actually true in order to fulfill his burden and win the debate.

"information is nothing and matter is something"

This assertion is untrue. According to the definitions provided, information is knowledge - knowledge is not nothing and is therefore something. Therefore, my opponent's statement is false. I agree that matter is something, however, this does not prove that only "now is matter" and matter is not real in the past or future. In fact, according to http://www.history.com... , dinosaurs were physical beings that existed in the past. As physical beings are made of matter, and the physical being of a dinosaur existed in the past, we can reasonably conclude that matter existed in the past. Therefore, my opponent's assertion that only "now is matter" is false.

"0 and 1"

Please explain the significance of this statement. As of now, it provides no evidence for your claims.

I have successfully rebutted each of my opponent's statements, leaving his Burden of Proof unfulfilled. Unless my opponent can defend his statements and fulfill his burden, I am the winner of this debate. Thanks! :D
vi_spex

Pro

i have to imagine 5 seconds ahead of now, and i have to remember 5 seconds ago, not real

knowledge is the opposite of belief and belief goes to imagiantion, where as knowledge is memory of personal physical experience

to say reality is 5 seconds ahead of now is to say reality is 5 second ahead of reality

the future and past IS informaiton, and i am born now today, as only now is real

the future and past is information, and informaiton is the opposite of matter, not real

if we cut open a head and take out the brain, we cant poor the mind, thoughts out on the floor, so they are not Things they are nothing

1+0=1, why dosnt it equal 2?

0 bananas are imaginary, and math is absolute
darthebearnc

Con

Rebuttals

"i have to imagine 5 seconds ahead of now, and i have to remember 5 seconds ago, not real"

I agree with my opponent that one can imagine things in the future and remember things from the past. However, this does not mean that things in the past/future aren't real. As stated in my previous argument, we know for sure that dinosaurs were from the past and were, as physical beings, made of matter (http://www.history.com...) - therefore, we know that matter is from the past. My opponent admits that matter is real - one can therefore reasonably conclude that as matter is from the past, the past is reality say otherwise would be extremely ignorant. I ask my opponent to provide evidence that shows how matter didn't exist in the past, hence making the past "not real."

"knowledge is the opposite of belief and belief goes to imagiantion, where as knowledge is memory of personal physical experience"

It is incorrect to say that "knowledge is the opposite of belief." I can believe in something and know it to be true. For example, I believe and know that George Washington was the first president of the United States. I am unsure what you mean by "belief goes to imagiantion" - please explain this in your next argument. I suppose that I agree that "knowledge is memory of personal physical experience" - how does this statement advance your contention that "only now is true, now is matter" in any form?

"to say reality is 5 seconds ahead of now is to say reality is 5 second ahead of reality"

In order to make this assertion, one must assume that reality only occurs at one point in time. However, my opponent can provide no evidence for this claim. Once more, we know that many things in the past were 'real', and can assume through evidence and logic that many things in the future will be 'real'.

"the future and past IS informaiton, and i am born now today, as only now is real"

My opponent has admitted that his contention is untrue by saying that the future and past are information. Once more, my above definitions affirm that true information is real - therefore, we can conclude that the future and past are real.

"the future and past is information, and informaiton is the opposite of matter, not real"

Information is not the opposite of matter. Once more, my above definitions affirm that true information is real - therefore, we can conclude that the future and past are real.

Something doesn't have to be physically tangible in order to be real. For example, the concept that 4+5=9 is not physical, but is still true and hence real.

"1+0=1, why dosnt it equal 2?"

The answer to this question is quite obvious. However, it does not advance my opponent's argument in any form.

"0 bananas are imaginary, and math is absolute"

Congratulations on figuring that out.

Overall, my opponent has still failed to fulfill his Burden of Proof, as he provides no reasonable/logical evidence or proof for his claims. Meanwhile, I have successfully rebutted each of my opponent's statements. Unless my opponent can defend his statements and provide proof that affirms his contention, I am the winner of this debate.
vi_spex

Pro

i can see dinosour bones with my eyes which is now

there are not Things in the future and past, Things are true, and the future is always ahead of now

the past is memory, and there is no matter in my imagination

know negates belief, as i dont have to imagine it. if you are looking at a stone im holding in my hand then i dont have to tell you that i have a stone in my hand

knowledge is memory of being now, so the past is "now", ai? memories are from now

experience=now

information is false and truth, and matter is true

absolute is true even if i have to imagine it, but the informaiton is never true in the sence you think, you can never grab it with your hands, but its true a blind man cant see reality, cause and effect

4+5=9 in reality
darthebearnc

Con

Introduction

As of now, my opponent's arguments have been, roughly speaking, unorganized jumbles of utter incoherence. If my opponent would like to continue this debate seriously, I ask him to start trying harder to make his arguments more understandable and organized. Thanks!

Rebuttals

"i can see dinosour bones with my eyes which is now"

Congratulations on your robust sense of sight.

"there are not Things in the future and past, Things are true, and the future is always ahead of now"

I will provide my definition of 'true' once more, as my opponent doesn't seem to be able to understand the word.

true - adjective - beinginaccordancewiththeactualstateorconditions;conformingto realityorfact;notfalse:

I can name a number of factual past events/concepts/things that are in "accordance with the actual state or conditions" and are "conforming to reality or fact."

1. George Washington was the first President of the United States.

http://www.biography.com...

2. World War II had millions of casualties.

http://www.nationalww2museum.org...

3. The triceratops was a dinosaur.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...

All of the above events/concepts/things were in the past and ARE in accordance with fact, truth, etc. My opponent himself has admitted that "things are true", making it obvious that each of the 'things' mentioned above are of truth. Unless my opponent would like to provide evidence that the above events/concepts/things are NOT in accordance with fact, he must admit that the past is of truth.

"the past is memory, and there is no matter in my imagination"

I agree that the past can be found in one's memory. However, something need not be made of matter in order to be true. The definition of truth itself provides that concepts, ideas, memories, etc. can be true as long as they are in "in accordance with the actual state or conditions."

"know negates belief, as i dont have to imagine it. if you are looking at a stone im holding in my hand then i dont have to tell you that i have a stone in my hand"

'Know' does not negate 'belief'. Once more, I can both know and believe something (e.g. I am a male, trees are plants, Muslims practice Islam).

"knowledge is memory of being now, so the past is "now", ai? memories are from now"

As mentioned in the introduction, I can't really understand the incoherent jumble of unorganized phrases that you are supposedly using in this debate. Please specify the meaning of this specific phrase so I can understand and discuss it.

"experience=now"

I'm surprised that you're not already at Harvard with such advanced psychological knowledge like that. Way to go.

"information is false and truth, and matter is true"

Information is actually true if it is in accordance with reality (see the definitions of 'information' and 'true' for more information).

"absolute is true even if i have to imagine it, but the informaiton is never true in the sence you think, you can never grab it with your hands, but its true a blind man cant see reality, cause and effect"

Something does NOT need to be tangible in order to be real. I don't know why you think that something does need to be tangible to be real - once more, if you simply GLANCE at my definitions for information and true, you could understand EASILY that many concepts, ideas, etc. ARE REAL.

"4+5=9 in reality"

You're a math genius.

vi_spex

Pro

facts are in the past, past dosnt matter, now is matter

fact=knowledge=truth=memory of physical experience

beyond truth and true is false, belief, and know is true

information is the opposite of matter, 0 and 1

absolute is true even if i can only imagine it, its true that lies exist, but its also true that lies are false

know=physical experience of now

if you look at a rock i have in my hand, do i have to inform you that i have a rock in my hand?

only know is true, if its not physical, its not real

matter being real. the only distance that matters is whats reachable by my physical body, not by my imagination

imagination is false, opposite of real, true
darthebearnc

Con

Introduction

My opponent has still failed to provide any coherent, organized, or well-evidenced arguments. Once more, if my opponent would like to continue this debate seriously, I ask him to start trying harder to make his arguments more understandable. Thanks!

Definitions

real - adjective - existing or occurring as fact; actual rather than imaginary, ideal, orfictitious:

fact
- noun - something that actually exists; reality; truth:

memory - noun - the act or fact of retaining and recalling impressions, facts, etc.;

imagination - noun - the faculty of imagining, or of forming mental images or concepts of what is not actually present to the senses.

Rebuttals

"facts are in the past, past dosnt matter, now is matter"

My opponent has admitted that the past contains facts. Note that according to my definition of a fact, facts are true. Therefore, we can reasonably conclude that the past (as it contains facts) can be true. Thus, my opponent's contention that "only now is true" is negated.

I agree with this semi-coherent claim. Once more, my opponent has admitted that the past contains facts, and as he now says facts are true, we can reasonably conclude that the past can be true.

"beyond truth and true is false, belief, and know is true"

Once more, belief and knowledge are not opposites. One can both know and believe something. For example, I believe and know that I am typing these letters using a keyboard. Therefore, my opponent's contention that knowledge is true and belief is untrue is false.

"information is the opposite of matter, 0 and 1"

My opponent must provide evidence that information and matter are opposites in order to fulfill his Burden of Proof. So far, he has not done so - my opponent's claim is illogical and unreasonable. Furthermore, he is yet to explain the significance of the phrase "0 and 1."

"absolute is true even if i can only imagine it, its true that lies exist, but its also true that lies are false"

This claim, while seemingly true, is irrelevant to the topic at hand and provides no evidence whatsoever to support my opponent's contention.

"know=physical experience of now"

I agree that knowledge is a physical experience and that it can occur now. However, this does not mean that one cannot know that things from the past are true. For example, I know that it is true that matter did exist in the past.

http://www.space.com...

"if you look at a rock i have in my hand, do i have to inform you that i have a rock in my hand?"

No.

"only know is true, if its not physical, its not real"

For what seems like the billionth time, something can be true/real even if it is not physical. For example, it is true that 5+2=7, even though numbers are not physically tangible.

"matter being real. the only distance that matters is whats reachable by my physical body, not by my imagination"

This debate is not about what "the only distance that matters" is. Therefore, your above claim is irrelevant and not related to whether "only now is true".

"imagination is false, opposite of real, true"

Imagination is not necessarily false. According to my definition above, imagination is simply the forming of mental images or concepts of what is not present to the senses. I can imagine true things. For example, I can imagine that 5+2=7, even though I can not physically sense this.

vi_spex

Pro

only now is true, facts are not true

fact=truth=knowledge=memory of personal physical experience

know negates belief.. know is life, as im dead without my senses

belief is false, as i dont know is true

knowledge is truth, know is true, true is only now

you even agree know negates belief

no, without content numbers have no use, the number 5 as just a number in my mind is 0. everything is something, something is 1, matter is 1, a soda in my hand is 1

there is no matter for you to experience without your senses

imagination is false, eat imagianry food for the rest of the week and see what happend
darthebearnc

Con

Introduction

Unfortunately, my opponent has, throughout this debate, presented not even one coherent or logical argument that supports his contention, "only now is true, now is matter." I am very disappointed that I was not able to engage in an educated discussion with my opponent during this debate, though will still rebut what is left of his incoherent claims.

Definitions

knowledge
- noun - acquaintance with facts, truths, or principles, as from study orinvestigation; general erudition:

fact

Rebuttals

"only now is true, facts are not true"

Clearly, the definition of 'fact' that has been provided shows how facts are of truth. Furthermore, truths (in the form of facts) are found throughout history, not just in the present. For example, it is a known true fact that many dinosaurs went extinct millions of years ago in the past.

http://www.sciencedaily.com...

"fact=truth=knowledge=memory of personal physical experience"

My opponent previously stated that "facts are not true." However, he now says that "facts=truth." My opponent's statements are obviously contradictory.

"know negates belief.. know is life, as im dead without my senses"

'Knowledge' does not negate 'belief'. For the last time, I can both know and believe something (e.g. 1+2=3).

"belief is false, as i dont know is true"

Belief is not always false. For example, I correctly believe that 1+2=3.

I agree that knowledge is truth. However, this does not mean that truth is only now. For example, it is true that many dinosaurs went extinct millions of years ago in the past.

http://www.sciencedaily.com...

"you even agree know negates belief"

I have never done so.

"no, without content numbers have no use, the number 5 as just a number in my mind is 0. everything is something, something is 1, matter is 1, a soda in my hand is 1"

Numbers can still be relevant without relating to physical beings/matter. For example, the concept that 1+2=3 is still valid and true, even though it doesn't necessarily pertain to a physical object or matter.

"there is no matter for you to experience without your senses"

I do not understand this incoherent statement. Once more, if my opponent had wished to win this debate, he should've provided organized and understandable arguments and claims. He has not done so.

"imagination is false, eat imagianry food for the rest of the week and see what happend"

Overall, my opponent has still failed to fulfill his Burden of Proof, as he provides no reasonable/logical evidence or proof for his claims. Meanwhile, I have successfully rebutted each of my opponent's statements. Therefore, I am the clear winner of this debate. Thanks! :D
Vote Placed by Kylar 2 years ago
Kylar
vi_spexdarthebearncTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct was equal, and so was spelling and grammar. Good arguments by con though, I give it to him