kash17
Duncan

parents don't understand their teenage children

Duncan

kash17

Pro

Mia came back from school on as hot July day ,dripping with sweat. she enters the house rushes to her room puts her bag in one corner and her socks and shoes in another and lies down on her bed to catch her breath. her mother comes barging in and says,'you get up and clean up your room at once!' I am also a teenager and have faced the most common teenage problem, clashing understanding with parents. almost every teen I have ever met says that their parents can't understand them or maybe they don't even try to. well, in either of the cases only the teens suffer as it the most important and challenging period of their lives. with the above given example we all can relate maybe it was a long time ago but it was there.
Duncan

Con

I would like to give my opponent a warm welcome to DDO and I hope our new arrival finds this site to their liking. I will begin my round with a round of questions regarding your opening tale.

Firstly, why is Mia still in school in July? Don't most schools end around June? With exams? Why'd she need a schoolbag to sit exams? If she was so exhausted, why did she rush in the door? Why did she have time to put her shoes in one corner? If it was so hot, why did she leave her now smelly and sweaty socks in the room, which would have made it smell terrible and prompt her mother to complain about the state of the room?

Your little tale represents the inherent problem of teenage years; energy and emotion. The changing of both lifestyle and body. Teenagers are naturally prone to mood swings due to hormonal releases, which can make them irrationally angry or sad with little stimulant. The fact that you wrote a somewhat narrative example of this lack of understanding, leaving out details which cast doubt on the story. I know the frustration of feeling misunderstood, along with being a younger and less talented sibling. The issue was, I never told my parents because I felt they couldn't understand. When I finally did decide to tell them, they were upset that I had kept my unhappiness a secret. They didn't know I was unhappy because I'd never told them. Not understanding is not the same as not knowing. Being honest with family is vital. Parents often find speaking with teenagers difficult since they know full well the emotional severity of teen years, every conversation can devolve into a fight when one side is emotionally charged.

Using a hypothetical person here gives me the feeling you yourself feel misunderstood, not fictional Mia. Do you feel your parents don't see how hard things are for you? If so, you need to be honest with them. Understand that your parents care for you even if they seem strict, and only want the best for you. Perhaps this is different for other parents. Not all families are strict, not all are cohesive or close. I get that. However, if you suffer in silence, then you have only yourself to blame. Believe me now, it takes great strength and will to ask for help. You may feel nervous about this, but this is a website dedicated to discussion and debate. Confrontation is the very essence of what we do on this site. We display conflicting ideas with the comfort that our opponents can respect our opinions while tearing them to shreds.

I'm just three years older than you, and the memories of 15 are still relatively fresh. While an extreme case, let me tell you my personal experience, from the heart, a position just like yours. I never told my family of the pain I felt each day, or the exhaustion I felt. I felt they'd never understand. But when I finally began to talk about my issues with them, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I spent the next year almost entirely with the aid of a crutch, and when those around me saw my pain, they understood. That is my point. Those around you, friends and family, they can understand any difficulty and support you, but they aren't psychics. Be honest with the ones you trust. That is my message.

I'll see you next round,

Duncan.
kash17

Pro

kash17 forfeited this round.
Duncan

Con

Hopefully me opponent's silence is due to him taking my suggestion on board, and I wish him luck. If Pro wishes to speak with me further, they can message me privately.
kash17

Pro

kash17 forfeited this round.
Duncan

Con

Just speeding up the debate.
kash17

Pro

kash17 forfeited this round.
Duncan

Con

...Speeding up debate.
kash17

Pro

kash17 forfeited this round.
Duncan

Con

And that brings us to the end of the debate. Despite Pro's silence, I hope my opponent has taken on board what I have said and wish him to best. See you all next time,

Duncan.
Posted by TheShadowCupcake 2 years ago
TheShadowCupcake
Oh my, this debate could really have me learn something. Subscribe! I'd like to see how this goes. DON'T DISAPPOINT US, KHAN!
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
kash17DuncanTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff