Chaotic_Cobalt
RationalMadman

perception and its manipulation is ultimate power

Chaotic_Cobalt

Pro

So I believe that the power to manipulate perception in today's society is ultimate power. Be it the masses or our own, you can conquer the world or help usher in a better tomorrow. If you can control how the majority of the populace is perceiving things, you then have power to spin any item to conform to your agenda. If you can manipulate your own perception, you can possibly see all sides of a situation and. that when combined with some empathy is what I believe is the path to a better tomorrow.

This is a fundamental believe of mine. I look forward to having it challenged.
RationalMadman

Con

The ability to not have your perception manipulated is a far superior power.
Chaotic_Cobalt

Pro

First i would like to thank you for accepting my challenge. It is appreciated.

I do not find freedom from perception manipulation omnipotent because of it requires one to stop perceiving entirely. Everyday how an individual sees the world is being altered by what is happening to the individual that is perceiving it. Physical stature, the people in the individual's immediate environment, the food the individual eats all alter their perception of the world around them. With something so dynamic how can it not be manipulated? The only way to be free from this perception alteration is to completely isolate oneself. As a defense for having an individual's perception manipulated by possibly malicious forces is for the individual to manipulate their own perception.
RationalMadman

Con

I am a strong believer in the samurai philosophy that the worst way to kill an opponent is by his/her own blade. But I'm sorry that I must resort to turning your resolution into a paradox. It is in fact the ONLY way (believe me, I've tried desperately to find another way) in which to highlight its very fallacy.

In the realm of debating 'power' we must see that every offence has an available defence which MUST BE automatically more ultimately powerful than the offence if it is to cause the one it is defending to receive no damage whatsoever from the offence.

Thus IF, of all offensive powers, Manipulation of perception is ultimate power then AUTOMATICALLY the ONLY logical conclusion can be that an power which completely and utterly is able to deflect all that ultimate power MUST be the MOST ultimate power and thus automatically takes the claim.

Manipulation of power being ultimate immediately causes it to get nudged down to second place by the ability to never have one's perception manipulated.

Your round two attack was that the mechanism of this makes it near-impossible to achieve since by having perception one automatically is manipulated. But then this AGAIN is a paradox since if everyone's perception is manipulated, even the perception manipulator is having his own perception manipulated meaning that if his power is the ultimate one, he/she is automatically a victim to the most ultimate power and a self-destructive power is not the ultimate power since the more you use and rely on it the more ironic your use of it becomes considering that you, the entire time have been under the influence of power. This is like saying, if everyone is ageing all the time then the ability to make people age is the ultimate power. Well that is self-destructive and pointless since it is inevitably causing the user to become victimized by the ultimate power since he is always under it! How can such a power be deemed ultimate if deeming it ultimate makes the user the victim of ultimate power?
Chaotic_Cobalt

Pro

You are correct in the fact that turning off your perception is a defense against perception manipulation, as much as never turning on you computer is a defense against computer viruses. You have to turn off the mind for its perception to not be altered good or bad. Instead of going into a coma, why not train your mind to alter its own perception? I find perception
manipulation to be ultimate because its only defense that leaves the user functional is itself. By your logic that makes it ultimate.
RationalMadman

Con

If perception is 'termed' the ultimate power.

The ability to defend the ultimate power is by default the most powerful.

It's like saying something is the most powerful punch.

It is therefore to be the most powerful boxer if you were to take the hit and recieve next to nothing in terms of damage.
Chaotic_Cobalt

Pro

Chaotic_Cobalt forfeited this round.
RationalMadman

Con

Paradoxes always lose.
Chaotic_Cobalt

Pro

Chaotic_Cobalt forfeited this round.
Posted by RationalMadman 4 years ago
RationalMadman
IF something is the most powerful offence. The defence will always be a greater power.
Posted by Chaotic_Cobalt 4 years ago
Chaotic_Cobalt
I apologies for the absence. I have had a lot going on and this debate kinda took back burner. I would like to point out that while you have intriguing arguments, you haven't dissuaded my believe. I realize I'm gonna lose this debate and accept it. Enjoy!
Posted by Chaotic_Cobalt 4 years ago
Chaotic_Cobalt
Hadn't thought of that! But no, I try to use my powers for good not evil. Winning the debate isn't my goal here. It is to have my views challenged. It's like natural selection but for my beliefs and values. Honestly this is one of the strongest and most logical (IMHO) believes I have, therefore, it is the easiest for me to defend.
Posted by philochristos 4 years ago
philochristos
The ability to manipulate perception is the ultimate power, and you're going to make it look like you won this debate, right? he he.