jakabus
Checkyoursources

perception of the soul, does it exist?

jakabus

Pro

I believe in God but not in a conventional way. The soul however is something also debated replacing an omnipotent being with...? This is for you to fill in from your perspective. The catalyst of life, an energy relating to conscience and emotion. What does emotion have to do with our soul? It's been well noted that man is made up of three (3) properties the physical, intellectual and spiritual. Using the soul as the subject for the debate (to cease disrespect amongst other beliefes) judgement will still be an issue (I've tried to minimise) I am hoping this way we can be open minded and respectful but give an honest unbiased opinion.

I understand if people are confused with this question. As of my beliefe I've chose the pro option (the soul is a separate part within us) or do emotions come from a intellectual decision to competently live with one another? Is it the difference between a mental person (unable to function like the norm) and a psychopath (unable to care for another's well-being)
Checkyoursources

Con

Hello, this is a rather interesting debate, and I accept.
However, I cannot make many fact-related comments in this part of the debate. This means that I cannot fill in this sentence as asked: "The soul however is something also debated replacing an omnipotent being with...?"
In order to let me fill in this statement, please define the following:
1) What is the definition of "soul"?
2) What is the relationship between "soul" and "an omnipotent being"?
These must be defined to have a proper debate in order to not have any confusion.

You mention that a "soul" is made of 3 properties: physical, intellectual and spiritual. I've accepted this debate because I believe that the universe is only made of the physical. I believe this because I have not ever seen evidence for anything else. I see intellect as a result of physical processes in the brain, measured by the brain's ability to solve problems, and I don't see any reason why the "spiritual" element should be accepted as a part of reality.

And as for the rest of your post:
"do emotions come from a intellectual decision to competently live with one another?"
What definition of "emotion" are you using? Some emotions, such as anger, are certainly not helpful in letting people "competently live with one another".

"Is it the difference between a mental person (unable to function like the norm) and a psychopath (unable to care for another's well-being)"
Is what the difference between a mental person and a psychopath? If you mean the "soul", I cannot comment, until you give a definition of what it is.

Thank you for setting up this debate, and I await your response.
jakabus

Pro

Thank you for your response. The soul is hard to find a definitive description and I am unable too produce Web links, The following is a Wikipedia excert. Game on!
1) The 'soul' in many religious, philosophical and mythological traditions is the incorporeal and, in many conceptions, immortal essence of a living thing. Some people call it your conscience.
2) very good question, the relationship between the soul and an omnipotent being has no singular definition but is popular with many religious belief's. The soul is depicted as a moral guide to help judge and aknowledge the difference between right and wrong.
Correction: I mentioned that 'man' is made up of 3 properties. (body, mind & soul) Once you leave the physical and factual component of the debate it is then considered hyperthetical because the statements (hypothesis) can not be proven with physical proof but logical understanding. Science has many diverse and dynamic theoretical hypothesis in quantum mechanics, neurology and phenomena ect. Thought is perceived to be in modern science to be the product of electro-chemical reactions in the brain. (I will not go any further on this matter because of its difficulty too understand and interpret)

Everything we see proves the physical realm in which we live. There are also forces that although have phisical reactions, can not be measured in conventional means because it is not made up of physical elements, such as light, gravity and heat ect. These elements are not a solid, gas or liquid but are energy's that constitute the 3 states of matter. Assuming the soul is a form of energy (depicting the difference between animate and inanimate. These energies lack physical qualities but are considered a fundermental part of matter out side the phisical realm.

Anger is infact a very important part of co-existing with one another. That particular primitive emotion aids with hunting, revenge, distaste and many forms of protection.
I added the mental and psychopath comparison to identify the difference between a disorder leading to a morally wrong action as opposed to a cold calculated action/s. As the mental is not aware of their wrong doing. The psychopath on the other hand has full knowledge of their decisions but simply do not care. Would you commit a murder or rape? Would you hurt children and laugh? Do you NOT do these despicable things to avoid punishment and criticism? Those with a conscience simply do not want to do these things.
I define emotions as a communication of feelings from thought to body language. These feeling, while under control, may be a component of intellectuality but are inconsistent while lost in fits of rage or great depression causing tears. We can not produce this intensity on demand. This dilema also occurs when we are dreaming. There is no conscience intellectual decision during intense feelings, it's a primitive impulse reactions. We may be aware in most cases of what emotions we are showing but not always know why we act the way we do.
The soul is a unique and complex thing to argue for... I enjoy the challange thanks! I think you may be able to change my perception of a soul as non-existent because gee wiz was that ^ hard to answer.
Checkyoursources

Con

Checkyoursources forfeited this round.
jakabus

Pro

Thanks, I guess... I am puzzled why you forfeited? Why?
Checkyoursources

Con

Checkyoursources forfeited this round.
Posted by jakabus 1 year ago
jakabus
Debating a perception isn't such a bad idea, is it?
Is the sky blue because it reflects the water or is the sea blue because it reflects the sky?
I would say the water is blue because it reflects the sky. Since when have you ever seen blue water pour out from a tap? So I would say water reflects the sky which gives the ocean it's blue appearance.

That's just my assumption based off of my logic which makes sense to me... But if someone came out with a proof backed claim saying it's the oxygen (or something ells) that gives the ocean and the sky it's blue colour I would then agree with that... But as thus far I'm going with my own logic. Which wouldn't you agree seems to give a suitable answer? So I say arguing your point of perception against an opposing perception could lead to a logically sound answer.
Posted by Furyan5 2 years ago
Furyan5
Someting does not have to be real to exist. A idea exists. It exists only in your mind, so it is not real. It is imagined (percieved in the mind) . The idea of a soul exists therefore a soul exists. If it didn't exist, we couldn't imagine it. You should rather ask if a soul is real.
Posted by Furyan5 2 years ago
Furyan5
Great debate. Its my belief the soul is the operating software of our physical bodies. Kinda like a flashdrive inserted into a pc. But not only does it give us consciousnes, its also our moral compass as well as recording events, thoughts and emotions we experience. It learns and self regulates. Where it comes from I won't comment. Its purpose I leave to you. As I said, this is just my view.
Posted by jakabus 2 years ago
jakabus
Thanks erehwon but il leave the paranormal out of it. Lets not complicate an already complicated concept lol but I thoroughly enjoyed your answer. It's my first day as well and don't really know how to manipulate the site properly yet.

The brain works from electro-magnetic impulses (cynnapses) and other (I'm out of my depth here) simplification: when someone is ment to have a poor or no soul their character is ment to reveal it. The eyes are said to be the window to the soul (we all heard that yeah) wouldn't Our brain produce feelings like; guilt, sorrow, mercy & forgiveness or are emotions ment to come from the soul? It would explain it's existence
Posted by erehwon 2 years ago
erehwon
Well, from an extremely logical stand point, all the soul is, is just electrical communication between our brain and the rest of our body.
If you want to get paranormal, then you have the idea of ghosts, which are stuck in some ethereal plain of existence. Why they are there? Some speculate that they're there because of regrets, unfinished business, or cannot leave yet because of something holding them back.
I'm not sure myself, but going from the ghost speculation, I would think the soul is part of ourselves, but I'll save reasoning for that for if I go into the debate ^ ^. I just joined today, and I'm not good at sourcing things..
Posted by jakabus 2 years ago
jakabus
Suppose it is to debate a perception. Seeing as though we have gained the concept of the spirit/soul from religious/biblical backgrounds. What other sources are there to identify the soul?
I use to be Christian but restrained from believing in far-fetched expectations (kept my faith but left the religion) logically explaining the abnormalities and mistranslations in the bible (it's not as mythical as I once use to think) how ever this thing we call the spirit/soul completely baffles me. I know there is logic to the enigma but have trouble pin pointing as too what it is? Is it attached to intellect like memory or is it a separate property altogether like 'determination'?
I have not came across any scientific discoveries about it apart from hyperthetical evaluations.
Posted by erehwon 2 years ago
erehwon
There are a lot of questions to be answered here, but basically what I'm getting at is that; you are for that the soul is a separate entity from the body, while your opponent says other wise. I'm very interested in this debate just because there's not really much right or wrong, but because it's a very complexing idea, specally since us as humans still don't quite grasp why we are.
Posted by Asburnu 2 years ago
Asburnu
Is this a question or are you seeking to debate a "perception"? Debates usually serve to determine FACTS. I am intrigued, please clarify.