Arslan47
jingchun

personal laptops should be allowed in school

Started: 9/15/2013 Category: Technology

Arslan47

Con

I'm for laptops. They would improve organization. And lessen the need for big backpacks as a result of books. Also all the students I see actually pay attention and do more work when they are using laptops instead.
jingchun

Pro

I am sorry, my opponent, but you seem to be contradicting your stand. You have chosen to be against the stand of "personal laptops should be allowed in school", but instead you mentioned that you are "for" laptops, and went on by stating the advantages of having laptops being allowed in school. As such, this clearly shows that you agree with my stand that personal laptops should be allowed in school, and there is not much point in this debate going on anymore. As you may know, a debate is a contention in argument, and since there is no disagreement in our views, I can safely that I have already won this debate. However, in the spirit of this debate, let me state my points to convince the audience why personal laptops should be allowed in school.

Allow me to adopt your a point from your contradictory argument. Heavy schoolbags is indeed a very pertinent problem. Heavy schoolbags can lead to various musculoskeletal problems, such as causing damage to muscles and ligaments, and bone problems such as scoliosis. This is unsurprising because the average schoolbag can weight up to 7-8kg, all made up of an enormous load of homework and textbooks. In comparison, a modern "ultrabook" can weigh only a few hundred grams. And these laptops can contain all the textbooks and homework that a student needs. So why not just allow personal laptops to be brought to schools to solve this problem of heavy bags that is putting all students at risk of permanently damaging their bodies?

Secondly, Mother Earth is facing global warming due to the cutting down of trees to supply paper for homework. Why not just electronify all these and allow students to access homework and lesson materials through their laptops in schools?

Thirdly, laptops can prove to be a great teaching resource when it comes to stuff like educational animations, which cannot be shown on normal paper lesson materials.

My opponent, you may say that this may not be fair to poorer students without laptops. But surely we can use the money that taxpayers use to treat health problems arising from heaving schoolbags to help fund laptops for poor children. This additional learning resource will also aid in increasing social mobility!

You may also say that laptops may be a distraction in school, but when used under a controlled environment in school with teachers monitoring the students and limits placed over the school internet, this will not be a problem.

Concluding, the benefits of allowing laptops in schools is much greater that all the disadvantages, which in turn can be easily solved. Also, I would like to stress again that my "opponent" is already on my side of agreeing that laptops should be allowed in school, and I hope that thus you can too, agree with my (and my opponent's) view and agree that personal laptops should be allowed in schools.

Arslan47

Con

I"m absolutely against to bring laptops to school. There are many terrible consequences of allowing it. Firstly, a computer has many non-academic applications which prevent to study well. For example: Games, social network, pictures and music. And it is impossible to block them. A teacher is able to look only for things on the desk. That can not be said about the content of laptops. Secondly, using a computer destroys pupil"s speech. They start to use slangs. Moreover it breaks spelling because people reduce word make. Modern applications like "Microsoft Word" correct your mistakes automatically. It gives all opportunity to make you lazier. Finally, using a laptop at school brings harmful affects to the student"s health. It is easy to having illnesses like violation of the spine and blindness. To summarizing, allowing laptops at school gives less helpful things than worse. Students are able to study without personal laptops at school.
jingchun

Pro

My opponent, thank you for your argument. However, I find that my opponent is confused and does not know what his own stand is. In Round One, my opponent clearly states in black and white that he is, quoting him, "for laptops". However, in Round Two, he switches his stand to saying definitely that he is "absolutely against [bringing] laptops to school". This clearly shows that my opponent is not in a clear frame of mind to do this debate. I hope that you, my opponent, will take time to think through your stand first before coming here to present your "arguments". It will be much better for this debate if you decide on whether you support laptops in school first. Clearly, you have come into this debate without making your mind up first. Of course, I urge you to support me in agreeing that personal laptops should be allowed in schools. Here are the rebuttals against your argument in round two (I totally agree with your stand in Round One):

1. You said that "a computer has many non-academic applications which prevent to study well" (sic). Well, I would like to quote what you said in Round One to rebut this. You said that "all the students I see actually pay attention and do more work when they are using laptops". Even though the credibility of this statement is not strong as this is just your personal opinion, we can all safely say that you believe in this statement and that you believe it is true. So I can just tell you this, "Look, we all know that there are many distractions on the laptop, but you said that students DO study better and pay attention when using laptops. Maybe the students are self regulating and controlled their temptation to play games in class. Maybe it is because of the presence of teacher in class. We are not sure about that, but what we DO know is that students actually DO pay attention more in class with their laptops, as stated by you. So even with these non-academic applications which are distractions, what's the problem if the students do in fact pay attention more while using these laptops? At this point, I would like to stress that I am using my opponent's statement in Round One because I assume that he believes in that, and the statement, to him, is perfectly true, since he was the one who claimed it.

2. You said that "using a computer destroys pupil's speech". In this case, you are arguing that students should not use computers, not whether students should be allowed to use their laptops in school. It is a completely different problem. Sure, computers can in fact cause a pupil's linguistic skills to deteriorate, especially in terms of spelling, but that is beside the point now. We are talking about how laptops can specifically benefit or harm pupils when used in school. You can advocate for laptops to be banned totally, sure, go ahead, but what I am interested in arguing about is the fact that usage of laptops in schools has much more unique benefits compared to the unique disadvantages (unique means advantages of the laptops that can only be considered an advantage when used in schools).

3. You said that bringing laptops to schools can cause students to have spinal problems and blindness. That is just ridiculous! And you have made no further effort to explain how, and why. I am pretty sure that carrying a heavy school bag instead of a laptop will cause more spinal problems, and staring intently at a piece of paper doing homework is also bad for eyesight. Also, you may have gotten a wrong impression of this topic. We are arguing about whether laptops should be allowed in schools. Just about the "allow" part. The laptop may be used frequently, or only sparingly, but that is beside the point. We are only concerned about whether it is allowed. Just to add on, the laptops probably will not be able to fully substitute paper, and definitely will not be used the whole day in school to the extent of causing spinal problems and blindness.

In conclusion, the points that you have brought up are not strong and can be easily rebutted. I would also like to highlight again that your arguments in Round 1 and 2 are contradictory, and so your credibility has been seriously dented. I hope that after reading my arguments, you will make up your mind and stand on my side again (you were already on my side during the first round, hopefully you can agree with me again).

Thank you very much.
Arslan47

Con

Arslan47 forfeited this round.
jingchun

Pro

Since my opponent did not post anything for Round 3, I have nothing to comment on and rebut.

I would just like to reiterate 2 points:
1. There are definitely more advantages of allowing students to bring laptops to school than to not allow them to do so. The problems stemming from schools allowing laptops to be brought to schools can in fact be easily solved (refer to previous arguments).
2. You should vote for the Pro side (me) since my opponent is confused and does not know whether he supports schools allowing laptops or not.

Arslan47

Con

Arslan47 forfeited this round.
jingchun

Pro

Once again, my opponent forfeited his round. Please read my arguments above and vote for Pro.

Arslan47

Con

Arslan47 forfeited this round.
jingchun

Pro

jingchun forfeited this round.
Posted by jacodatroll 3 years ago
jacodatroll
i think it should beacuse it should because i think it should because i think it should because look it up in the encyclapedia
Posted by jacodatroll 3 years ago
jacodatroll
Posted by TheAntidoter 4 years ago
TheAntidoter
@hippo.

I'm on one right now. Don't diss the computer.
Posted by TheEnergyHippo 4 years ago
TheEnergyHippo
They will just play games lol