Philosophy Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

Individuals act only on behalf of their own well being

AnotherUniverse
philochristos

Acting in one"s self-interest is acting in a way that satisfies our personal desires. Individuals are selfish in nature, so even if they seem to be selfless, for example donating to charity, they will in actuality be acting only to better their social standing or feel good about themselves. Even if they do not realize this, their subconscious does. In this way, there is no such thing as a truly selfless act....

Debating Period
2 Comments
Updated 21 Hours Ago

Vegetarianism

lucasd_j
TheMaster_Debator

I have always felt that the arguement against vegetarianism were never sufficient and could have been much better. The arguement against vegetarianism was mostly taken up by fools who love mcdonalds too much and let their stomach's decide their principles thats why I felt it neccesary to publish my thoughts on the issue. I will be arguing on grounds of health, food shortages, morality and also a religous perspective.Firstly, I understand that the arguments given proclaiming that...

Voting Period
1 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Kalam cosmological argument

derogatory
MasterDebated

KCAClassical argument 1. Everything that has a beginning of its existence has a cause of its existence;2. The universe has a beginning of its existence; Therefore: 3. The universe has a cause of its existence.Sources:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kal%C4%81m_cos...

Voting Period
2 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Will Senpai notice me?

LazyDemonKaizo
Jamespend

Yus, cuz I am kawaii desu~...

Voting Period
0 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Genuine creativity does not exist

Squibs
MasterDebated

Genuine creativity does not exist. What I mean by genuine creativity, is the spontaneous and completely original formation of ideas/concepts or matter/structures, both conscious and unconscious. Not subject to any prior influences, experiences, connections, and collaborations whatsoever. Genuine creativity is an illusion. For an act of creativity to be completely genuine it has to come from nothing. I would argue that no such idea or natural structure in the known or even conceivable history...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

If atheism is correct, animals have souls

edibleshrapnel
Ozzyhead

According to most religious texts, animals were created to sustain gods creation, which is us human beings. Now if atheism is correct, there is no god and the universe was created naturally. Wouldn't animals have souls? My platform states the following: 1. According to atheism, we are superior to other creatures because of evolution and natural selection, this means that even though animals are inferior minded, they posses a soul that can communicate with others of the same species, pro-create,...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 9 Hours Ago

Can There Be Morality Without God?

aleph_naught
Benshapiro

By morality without God, I mean some moral reality in the absence of a deity. In other words, is there any conflict in atheism and moral realism? And if there is, is it one of stark inconsistency, or instead of probabilistic tension? God will be understood as the god of orthodox monotheism, the all-powerful, benevolent creator and sustainer of the universe. Or, alternatively, the greatest being of Anselmian theology. If my opponent has a slightly different (preferably less restrictive) defini...

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 3 Hours Ago

God Can Gain Knowledge While Being Omniscient

Rational_Thinker9119
zmikecuber

The burden of proof will be shared. I will be arguing that there is no explicit contradiction in God gaining knowledge while still being omniscient by definition, like some may think. My opponent will argue it is a contradiction for God to gain knowledge if he is omniscient, because if God knows all there is to know already, then he cannot know more. God For...

Voting Period
71 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

What is the point in life?

Beed1984
9spaceking

What is the point in anything? I ask myself this as I suffer from depression but even on good days I wonder this, as I have never wanted a "normal" life, to have children or get married etc. I just don't know why... No religious answers please....

Voting Period
12 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

What Good Are Humans?

idiots_everywhere
The_Scapegoat_bleats

(I am con/against - human existance) We, being humans, have no real point to be on Earth. We've done nothing but destroy since we began evolving into the modern-day humans we are. Polluting, hunting animals into extinction and cutting down their natural habitats, reshaping land for only our selfish benifit. Many of those who are aware of these things happening do nothing to try and slow or reverse their effects, resulting in deaths of animals andhumans, as well as plant life.All first-worlders c...

Debating Period
2 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago