Philosophy Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

is there anything positive to life

markus-ha

I want to start this off by stating that life does have a meaning, and that is to "bring more people" in to the world from what I will simply call the "other side" (where consciousness resides before or after death) and to die. the reason I believe these to be the meaning off life, is that these are the only things that bind us to to something externally. now, if we assume that the only real meaning of life (unless you manage to convince me to believe otherwise) is to die, and all other distrac...

Challenge Period
0 Comments
Updated 1 Hour Ago

The Kalam Cosmological Argument Is Sound

Rational_Thinker9119
PowerPikachu21

The Kalam Cosmological Argument is as follows: P1: Whatever begins to exist has a cause P2: The universe began to exist C: Therefore, the universe has a cause The advocate of this argument must show that the argument is successful. My job in this debate will be to undermine my opponent's reasoning for affirming the soundness of the argument. My opponent will present his/ her opening arguments in the first round (the first round will be for Pro to present arguments, not for merely...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 7 Hours Ago

Hierarchy in society pro or con

Aeden_r
DawsonBruno

I do not believe in a hierarchy of society since the dawn of man there has been segregation from the black peoples of America to the homosexual rights movement and there has never been equality in society there should be one given thing to unite humans as a species but the moronic hierarchy segregates every one. Everyone should be seen as equal since the late 9th century England has had a hierarchy (the feudal system)...

Voting Period
0 Comments
Updated 23 Hours Ago

Is the quintessence of life an orgasm?

Jangle_WankFred
DawsonBruno

think bout it k? lie is only dream that u make up wen u sleep. when we wake up we get to met new day n all is gud but u dnt get to see je...

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

are we in a videogame?

victorisaiahdebate
Aviel

Yes! we are. You see there is a limit to how fast information can travel just like how fast a game can compute things. Next there is a bit size or the smallest thing a computer can simulate, just like quarks or superstrings or quantum foam. the gods could just be other players that were fighting each other and the reason no more are seen is because a computer might be able to simulate thousands of human lives per second and this may just be one of those instances when no one is playing that migh...

Voting Period
0 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago

Physicalism Is Probably False

Rational_Thinker9119
hielispace

Physicalism is the doctrine which essentially states that everything is physical. I am going to argue that this thesis is probably false. What does it mean for something to be physical? I think the most comprehensive definition is as follows: X is physical if it is spacetime, or is a field, force, piece of matter or energy within spacetime (or a collection of any of them). First round is for acceptance....

Debating Period
6 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago

War is Inevitable, Given Human Nature.

RC-9282

I will be taking Pro on this topic, and my opponent will be delegated as Con. [Note] This debate should be impossible to accept, given the criteria. If you somehow manage to do so, you automatically forfeit this debate. As Pro, I will be arguing war cannot be avoided as long as humans retain the basic tenants of humanity. To clarify, I think we can all agree that the defining traits of humans are such: - Passion - Greed - Hate - Innovation - Intelligence Please note that these are...

Challenge Period
14 Comments
Updated 4 Days Ago

Beauty is only skin deep.

nishanth
CaptainCrustacean

Beauty is not skin deep because there is more to a thing than its outward appearance. It is better if we all are able to see that inner beauty, like belle, in beauty and beast....

Debating Period
11 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

Is humanity a defective species?

bravevline
Superspork

I have to come to believe that humanity is broken for many reasons. We do not support the environment in a positive way, unlike any other organism which does help the natural ecosystem, even through the destruction it causes, making us the only one. We genetically modify plants and animals and create toxic, and unnatural chemicals/materials, such as plastic, and radioactive energy sources that nature may not be able to redress even after we are gone. Animal species are now going extinction at a...

Debating Period
7 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago

Do we live in the matrix?

CivilianName295
Sensorfire

I will be arguing that we live in the matrix and that our universe is a simulation (virtual reality). (CON) will argue that we life in a real objective reality. This debate will not be about who the simulator is since the simulator could be Gods mind or a computer but this debate won't be focusing on that instead it will focus on if OUR universe is a simulaton. Rules: No bringing religion into the debate, use evidence, no personal attacks Round 1: Accept rules and conditions Round 2: Eac...

Voting Period
8 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago