Philosophy Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

Altruistic behavior is impossible. (psychological egoism)

footballchris561

Altruism: the belief in or practice of disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others.In order for an action to be truly altruistic the action must be committed with the intention to help someone else without considering the benefits for one self. If an action is committed that helped someone else but self interest is involved than that action is not altruistic. Psychological egoism is the view that humans are always...

Challenge Period
0 Comments
Updated 37 Minutes Ago

WHY U SHOULD DOWNLOAD MY NeW MIXTAPE

OGSAVAGEKILLER
Acarr130

MY MIXTAPE IS STRAIGHT FIRE DOWNLOAD IT ON SOUNDCLOUD AND ITUNES RN BOIIII SUPA HOT FIRE BOI THE ALBUMS CALLED I SMOKE GOOD KUSH AND SNIFF GLUE BOIII DOWNLOAD IT NOW BOIIi...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 2 Hours Ago

Debate Halting Problem

Surrealism
Zaradi

RULES: 1. Opponent must make a prediction of the winner of this debate in the first round. 2. Their prediction will be used as the resolution. I've wanted to debate this for a while....

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 2 Hours Ago

Earth will Have a Global Revolution within 500 Years

AwesomeSaucer
CosmicSpirit

Welcome to my first debate!TOPIC:Will Earth have a global-scale revolution before 2515? Could all countries in the world unite into one colossal powerhouse? Or could every country split up into thousands of city-states, each with their own form of government? Or will everything just stay the sameThat is what this debate will discuss.MY STANCE:I am debating Pro for this debate. I do believe...

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 3 Hours Ago

Abortion is a legal right that EVERYONE deserves

dwcrabb
BoggyB

I am proposing that abortion is a right that should be open to ALL. OK, rules of the debate: First round is a laying down of the rules and definitions, and 2nd is proposing arguments, and the last two are rebuttals. No appealing to emotions, you can argue ethically, but do not personalize it. EX. "How would you feel if your mom KILLED you!" Like previously stated, arguments can be ethical OR constitutional, you can argue about if abortion is right, OR about if it should be a right...

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Libertarians have stronger principle than conservatives

miketheman1200
Hanspete

First Round acceptance Definitions: Principle - a fundamental, primary, or general law or truth from which others are derived [1] [1] http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/principle...

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 18 Hours Ago

Free will is an illusion.

JalenCaudill
Beginner

This is my first attempt at creating a debate so I'm stating that as a caveat. I'm going to use this initial opening to lay down the rudimentary forms of my argument. I'm "pro" which means: - I believe free will to be an illusion - This illusion is worth talking about as it affects everything about our everyday lives, including the justice system. - Free will, even in subjective terms, isn't compatible with reality - fMRI scans show that observers (mostly in neuroscience) can detect what...

Debating Period
5 Comments
Updated 1 Hour Ago

Aliens exist.

LordKavstar
Hurricane996

I've been having a nice long think about the universe and I reached the conclusion that aliens probably do exist. I know this is a hotly debated topic so I was wondering if anyone wishes to challenge me? By alien I mean any form of biological being, be them micro or super....

Debating Period
15 Comments
Updated 2 Hours Ago

It's possible to romantically love more than one person at once

chowdhuryn7
eyonairy

1. Love is defined as an intense feeling of deep affection. 2. A romantic relationship is built on love, devotion and attachment. 3. A person in a romantic relationship can be in love with their current partner and their former partner at the same time. 4. Marriage is a legal contract built on a spiritual bond. 5. Polygamy is the custom of having more than one wife or husband at the same time and it is accepted by many religions and cultures, including Islam. 6. In Islamic polygamy, a man...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 4 Hours Ago

You should vote for me.

Whataburger
Vocem-Mendacii

Consider this, with just a little bit of lime juice and some finely chopped cilantro, any plain ol' cucumber can become a delicious treat. Although I do suppose we ought to consider that cucumbers are pretty good by themselves as well. In this debate I will aim to show that I, Whataburger, should get the vote in this debate. Now remember to brush your teeth people. Cavities will form if you don't, and it'll be difficult to enjoy a Whataburger without anything to chew with....

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 11 Hours Ago