Philosophy Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

The Tri-Omni God chooses life

JohnMaynardKeynes
GodChoosesLife

Resolved: The Tri-Omni God chooses life Pro will uphold this resolution, whereas Con will negate it. The winner will be the person to prove his or her case with a preponderance of evidence. Tri-Omni God -- The Chri...

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 2 Hours Ago

Can You Take This With A Grain Of Salt? Why So? And Why Not?

Aerogant
Domr

In my entire life, I never treated anything with more than a grain of salt, as a whole, as a finished product and/or design. When I see people, I don't see flesh and solid bodies - I see and feel essence. I am not spiritual, but some may as well call me the strongest of spiritualists. I am not literal, but some may as well call me the strongest of literalists. I do not smoke pot, but some may as well call me the second coming of Deepak. When I read books, I don't read page by page - I open on...

Voting Period
9 Comments
Updated 1 Hour Ago

'defense of others' too limited in practice, killing serial killer bob isnt inherently immoral

dairygirl4u2c

'defense of others' 2 limited in practice, killing serial killer bob isnt inherently immoral bob is a serial killer on the run and's shown every reason he'll continue killing. you see him by chance at a state park. a high reason to think if you try to call authorities he will get away. u have a gun- moral to kill him? remember, 'defense of others' as a legal and moral system is often said to be only permissible if the pending harm to another is 'imminent' which usually is said to mean 'r...

Challenge Period
1 Comments
Updated 14 Hours Ago

'defense of others' 2 limited in practice, killing serial killer bob isnt inherently immoral

dairygirl4u2c

Challenge Period
0 Comments
Updated 14 Hours Ago

"unlimited paradox" - an ever present unlimited force doesnt exist

dairygirl4u2c

"unlimited paradox" - an ever present unlimited force does not exist can the unlimited limit itself? if not, it is not unlimited. if so, it is not unlimited. thus, we can see by probing a few questions about what it means to be unlimited, that it does not really exist, at least in terms of being ever present....

Challenge Period
0 Comments
Updated 14 Hours Ago

"unlimited paradox" - an ever present unlimited force does not exist

dairygirl4u2c
Max.Wallace

Debating Period
5 Comments
Updated 5 Hours Ago

The existence of a god cannot be proven or disproven (quotation battle)

inaudita

After acceptance in round one individuals will only be able to make arguments through direct quotation of individuals. Their is to be no use of an individuals own words in the following rounds unless it is to provide a source for the individuals quotation. Their is to be a maximum of 3 quotations within a round. Deviation from these rules or failure to post a proper source from a quotation is to forfeit the debate....

Challenge Period
5 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Birth is an arbitrary dividing line between personhood and non-personhood.

Weave77
ArcTImes

It is my contention that birth is an arbitrary dividing line between personhood and non-personhood, and thus, there is no moral difference between abortion and infanticide.This is my first DDO debate, and I would like to thank my opponent in advance for accepting this debate. I will be arguing as Pro. The first round is for acceptance, and we shall begin the discussion in round two.Personhood: The quality or condition of being an individual huma...

Debating Period
11 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Statist Anti-Catholic Egalitarians Are not Consistent for Following William of Ockham

Daktoria

This debate will focus on the Avignon Papacy and how William of Ockham, a Franciscan friar, was excommunicated unfairly in the 14th century by Pope John XXII who lived a lavish lifestyle. While William of Ockham was a devout Catholic who emphasized the virtue of poverty, it was this pope who reigned under extraordinary circumstances that he was punished. Furthermore, while William of Ockham was excommunicated himself, his philosophy was not condemned despite how he further insisted on separation...

Challenge Period
0 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Atheism says there is no God, therefore it is not possible to win Pascal's Wager.

LifeMeansGodIsGood
medv4380

I would like an atheist to argue that it is possible to win Pascal's Wager and remain an atheist at the same time, but it seems to me that an atheist would not argue this way as it allows for the possibility that God is there and atheism excludes that possibility.. A non-atheist can argue this debate against my position. Please give a sample argument in the comments before I allow you to accept this challenge. If you need a dictionary to define words or if you need a web page link to define o...

Voting Period
143 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago