Philosophy Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

Bryan Mullins: The Roast Game, Families were eating their own children for 19 years

BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
yanagurl136

The Roast Game is pretty simple " First ask any family member "what is special about a holiday roast?" The family member would have the tendency to guess assumptively "Ham" "Turkey" "Beef" You say "no" to the family member Then you ask them "who or what do you think is special?" The family member says "I believe that children are special" You respond "So, you eat children for a Christmas roast?" The family member would freak out at you because he knew that the family ate children and...

Debating Period
34 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

A Non-Mental Reality Must Exist

bossyburrito
dylancatlow

DEFINITIONS: Mental: Of or relating to consciousness (a "Mental reality" being one that is contained solely in consciousness Reality: That which is real - that which exists. In this debate, PRO will argue that there must be a non-mental reality, with "mental reality" used as defined above. I do not have to show that there are no mental aspects of reality, but that they must not be all there is in the makeup of reality. The first round will be for acceptance only - I will present...

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 14 Hours Ago

abortion?

Debatwinnerpro
ashoup

First round is acceptance! I am against abortion......

Debating Period
6 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

Yes or No

Braydenpetrik23
Fernyx

Yeah...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

Mathematics was discovered, not created.

VDensovic

I take refuge in the following paraphrase: "I can imagine a universe where the laws of physics as we know them don't apply, I can imagine a universe without a god, but I cannot imagine a universe were two plus two doesn't equal four."...

Challenge Period
1 Comments
Updated 5 Days Ago

Is science it's own form of religion?

lillily21
JohnSmythe

I know that the question seems a bit strange, however, religion, much like science is based upon a number of beliefs. For example, when the question of how the universe was created comes up science states that by theory the big bang created the universe. Religion in itself is a theory much like science. Furthermore, one year I had a science teacher and not once during the entire unit did he say the word theory in relation to the big bang suggesting that he believed that the big bang did in fact...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago

Should Libertarians support open borders?

roark555
Smooosh

This debate should be accepted by self identified Libertarians ONLY. I will be arguing against the notion that Libertarians should support open borders, and my opponent will be arguing that libertarians in fact should support open borders. Round 1 is for acceptance, 2 for opening statements, 3 and 4 for rebuttals and additional arguments, and 5 for closing arguments....

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 20 Hours Ago

Is life worth living?

Artin
Nd2400

There are countless layers to this question, mostly derived from the many definitions of "worth." For me, life is like an unsolved equation, for which I can't even see the equation to solve. Every day I wake up, this huge question is all over my face, punching me the defenseless hardly. And if that was not enough, one is also forced to share his equation with other people's equations to survive(socialization). Didn't choose to be born, forced to survive with the equipment I did not ch...

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 1 Week Ago

The West's Claim of Universal Equal Human Rights is Unjustified

Pickleagape
Overhead

The political orthodoxy in modern Western democracies like the United States holds that the equality of rights of all human beings is an unquestionable, moral claim that cannot be challenged by the findings of descriptive science. Equality, as a normative commitment, is viewed as fundamental to the West's conception of human rights, and is deemed not open to debate. The liberal political establishment in contemporary Western society currently insists, for example, that there is no substanti...

Debating Period
2 Comments
Updated 1 Week Ago

God Exists

DrCereal
holla1755

Resolution: A theistic god exists.StructureThe burden of proof will lie solely on Pro. Con will not be contending that a god does not...

Voting Period
14 Comments
Updated 1 Week Ago