Philosophy Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

We have free will.

Ockham

I will be arguing for the existence of what philosophers call libertarian free will. According to the version of libertarianism I accept, we have the ability to make free choices which are neither random nor deterministic, but proceed from our rational nature as an agent.I will be arguing that the existence of free will is an axiom, which I define as a proposition or concept that is both self evident and presupposed by all other knowledge, including any attempt to deny it. Anoth...

Challenge Period
0 Comments
Updated 37 Minutes Ago

How do atheists rationally know truth from fiction?

ViceRegent

Atheists love to live under the delusion that they are the guardians of rationality. But how can they hold this title when they cannot even articulate a rational way to know truth from fiction. If they cannot do this, they are literally ignorant and the ignorant cannot guard anything. So, what atheist can give me a rational way atheists know truth from fiction? Answering this question is the sole purpose for this debate. If you are unable or unwilling to answer this question, do not respond...

Challenge Period
18 Comments
Updated 2 Hours Ago

Science cannot understand phenomenal consciousness

ClassicRobert

First round is for acceptance only, semantics are not allowed, sources must fit within the character limits of each round, no new arguments are allowed in the final round, and though the burden of proof is primarily on me, each side must present a substantive case of his or her own.Minimum requirements are impossible right now, comment if you're interested in accepting or have questions.Some background information- For the purposes of this debate, there are two types...

Challenge Period
16 Comments
Updated 13 Hours Ago

Positive way of thinking and happiness

Andreas333

'Your happiness depends on the quality of your thoughts' -Marcus Aurelius Reality is subjective. The way the world is, for us at least, is the way we perceive it. The world around us does not really matter as much, as how we understand and see it. There are people that have less goods than us, for example money or even people with less love in their lives. There are also people that have more wealth and more love in their lives than us. But, there are happier and unhappier people, in both ca...

Challenge Period
1 Comments
Updated 14 Hours Ago

ViceRegent
TheDebater9000

Debating Period
11 Comments
Updated 3 Hours Ago

Can Existence Be Proven (Without Theology)

cingkole
mall

I challenge any who will accept, to assert, with total certainty, that they exist....

Voting Period
8 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago

Homosexual Marriage

kolbimm
Jonan4tor

This debate will be over the controversial topic regarding gay marriage. There are many radically different opinions on this topic which ultimately have to do with how you were raised, your religious views, etc. All I ask in this debate is we don't refer to gay people as "the" or other words that try alienate these humans due to their sexual orientation. That includes sexual slurs such as "faggot."...

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

Are humans naturally evil (Con) or good?(Pro)

Anakin_Guystalker
yomama12

While maybe we aren't evil, humans certainly are born to be. Humans are naturally evil, selfish, and violent. We all have desires to do horrible things, such as steal, rape, and murder. I am eager to hear your guys' thoughts on the matter....

Voting Period
5 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

philosophy question

vi_spex
Willdeas

how does a fearfull blind man get out of the dark?...

Voting Period
3 Comments
Updated 5 Days Ago

We have free will.

Ockham
Gehrigfo

I will be arguing for the existence of what philosophers call agent causal libertarian free will, which is the position that we have the ability to make free choices which are neither random nor deterministic, but proceed from our rational nature as an agent. The existence of free will is an axiom, which means that it is both self evident and presupposed by all other knowledge, including any attempt to deny it. Another example of an axiom is the proposition "there is an objective reality." An...

Voting Period
4 Comments
Updated 5 Days Ago