Philosophy Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

WODC Tournament: That genealogy is nothing to celebrate

ThinkBig
Bob13

Intro This debate is for the WODC hosted by edeb8. We have been assigned the topic and I am very much looking forward to debating this topic with bob13.TopicThat genealogy is nothing to celebrateDefinitionsGenealogy: Family/racial lineageCelebrate: In the context of this debate, "celebrate" will mean to take pride in. Thus to re...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Jesus really died for your sins don't ever forget that, think about Rene Descartes

jake58
vi_spex

Rene Descartes says cog Ito ergo sum I think der fore I am those are the words that directly proved that Jesus was true....

Debating Period
8 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

There exists absolute truth.

DrSenelCoolidge
Ockham

I believe that absolute truth exists. Here is what I define as absolute truth: Absolute truth is all absolute, being correct in every context of reality, and it is a truth that depends on its own truthfulness for being valid. As such, this truth is self-reliant for its validity. This truth then proves itself as valid. Also, absolute truth is composed of aspects, each aspect being an essential ingredient for absolute truth. These aspects include syntactic and state-wise components, which...

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 8 Hours Ago

DCL: Cultural Relativism

bsh1
famousdebater

IntroThis debate is for the Debate Champion's League. Many thanks to DK and Max for organizing this tournament, and thanks to our opposing team (Pugna Verborum) for this debate. We're looking forward to an excellent debate.Due to a recent experience of mine with receiving almost no votes on a high-quality debate, I have decided to make this a judge-only debate. Judges were selected based on their impartiality and on the fact that they were recently a...

Debating Period
28 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Civil disobedience in a democracy is morally justified

realpheonix
Stupidape

"Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves." -Henry David Thoreau- Because I agree the words given by Thoreau, I strongly affirm today's resolution, civil disobedience in a democracy is morally justified. I have 2 definitions According to proffesr Michael Walser"s book, Civil disobedience is a non revolutionary encounter with the state, in a which a person breaks the law but does so in ways that do not challenge the legitimacy of the legal or political sys...

Voting Period
1 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Can you change my mind?

Benjiboy960
vi_spex

Can you change my mind? Try to use psychology to make me think that you can....

Voting Period
4 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

The existence of a God-Like Entity

ClassyCoder
CuriousFear

My debate is as follows: Though I personally believe that a God associated with a variety of (in my opinion) ridiculous religious beliefs does not exist, I still argue that a God-Like entity exists. Furthermore, if you choose to join, please note the definition of "God-like entity" used in the argument: "An entity capable of creating anything, including itself from nothing". This argument is debating the existence of such an entity. This entity does not necessarily have consciousness or huma...

Debating Period
8 Comments
Updated 6 Days Ago

Does the future (and past) exist? Metaphysics 101

Billjunior
TheGamesOfSociety

Hi- this debate will be whether or not the future (and past) exists or not. I will attempt to argue that the future does, indeed, exists, while Con will argue that only the present exists. If you accept please argue rationally as this is actually a somewhat serious debate, though feel free to use whatever tone you want. Definitions: Exist- To be real in the present. Present - Existing or occurring now. Past- Something that occured that is not in the present. Future- Something that ha...

Debating Period
15 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

Should abortion be legal, and if so, is it moral?

Billjunior
DanBe

In this debate, I, the instigator, will be arguing that abortion should be legal (in all counties), and that it is moral to have an abortion. For the purposes of the argument, let's define abortion as "the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy". Good luck to whomever may accept this challenge :) Opening argument- Many people state that abortion is killing an inncoent person. While that is true, it does not entail that therefore abortion isn't moral. The fetus's right to live, does not e...

Voting Period
1 Comments
Updated 6 Days Ago

Morals are dependent on context.

DrSenelCoolidge
bearski

Are morals not dependent on context? I believe not; I believe morals are dependent on the contexts to which they apply. Please, allow me to define and explain a situation. For example, say that you were caught stealing from someone, where stealing is defined as wrong in someone's morality. Also, you were caught stealing because you needed a medicine for a dying child, and the setting is the legal system. Take it that the owner of said medicine is unwilling to negotiate a cheaper price for...

Voting Period
4 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago