Philosophy Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

A Non-Mental Reality Must Exist.

bossyburrito
dylancatlow

DEFINITIONS:Mental: Of or relating to consciousness (a "Mental reality" being one that is contained solely in consciousnessReality: That which is real - that which exists. In this debate, PRO will argue that there must be a non-mental reality, with "mental reality" used as defined above. I do not have to show that there are no mental aspects of reality, but that they must not be all there is in the makeup of realit...

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 18 Hours Ago

The first impression of a person is always right!

moses_moses
derFuhrer

The first impression of a person is always right!...

Debating Period
2 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Fate

FreedomBeforeEquality
Man_Of_Few_Words

Do you believe in fate. It can take whatever form. Individual or as a species. Is there some set of pre determined aspects of humanity? The universe (Pro)? Or is it all some random occurrence (Con)?...

Debating Period
2 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Justice Requires the Recognition of Animal Rights

Zaradi
UchihaMadara

Resolved: Justice Requires the Recognition of Animal Rights.This is an old LD topic. All types of LD cases are acceptable, and this debate will be done in LD format. Round structure will go as thus:Round One: AFF PRESENTS CASE. THIS ROUND IS NOT JUST FOR ACCEPTANCERound Two: Neg Case + Rebuttals, Aff RebuttalsRound Three: Neg rebuttals, Aff RebuttalsGl to my opponent! ...

Debating Period
13 Comments
Updated 10 Hours Ago

Religion should be banned.

yejuneyoon
MonetaryOffset

First round is for acceptance. Please do NOT use any personal insults or swear words, and please write with only your knowledge and not use any websites. Thank you. Good luck!! -Pro team...

Debating Period
6 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Philosophy is not wisdom, but rather tedious long opinions of a man about nothing exciting

PanLeo716366
18Karl

For now I like to say that I am against that philosophy is wisdom, but it is rather a tedious long opinion on the literal nothing, nihilism, life, universe, all this are nothing to talk about, yet they talk about it and this should thus not be wisdom, but unsupported, untestable science. I am looking forward to my opponent's response....

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 8 Hours Ago

The House Would not Allow any Donation to the poor

PaoPao
Ameliamk1

BOP in this debate consists ; PRO : 1. Prove why the poor should not receive donation 2. Prove why we should not Donate to the poor 3. Prove why this motion worth being Debate for CON : 1. Prove why the poor may receive donation 2. Prove why it's okay to donate to the poor 3. Prove why this motion worth being Debate for The First Round is Acceptance...

Debating Period
6 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

We Cannot Create Artificial Intelligence via Computation Alone

n7
Philosophybro

I am challenging Philosophybro to this debate. I hope it will go well. Definitions: Artificial Intelligence (as defined by Searle): The claim that an "appropriately programmed computer with the right inputs and outputs would thereby have a mind in exactly the same sense human beings have minds." Computation: "process following a well-defined model understood and expressed as, for example, an algorithm, or a protocol." or to use Turing's definition of what a Turing machine does " Print "0...

Debating Period
24 Comments
Updated 11 Hours Ago

We are animals.

SnowyOxygen
user_name

I will be arguing for the following statement: "We are animals". By "we are animals" I mean both philosophically and scientifically.First round is for acceptance.Second and third round for debateFourth for conclusionsI wish my opponent good luck!...

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Answer questions before questioning the motive.

user_name
Pfalcon1318

1. Fundamentals of questioning include what the answer is supposed to indicate! 2. Furthermore, proposing that blindly answering a question will result in either accidental success or unintentional downfall, the first being undeserved and th...

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 4 Hours Ago