Philosophy Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

Moral Relativism (Pro) vs. Divine Command Theory (Con)

Surrealism
Philocat

This is a topic I would enjoy debating. My previous two debates over this topic ended in forfeiture by my opponent, so I ask that my opponent not forfeit in this debate. For this reason I have set it so that the contender must have a minimum of five completed debates to accept.Definitions:Moral Relativism - "[that] the truth or justification of moral judgments is not absolute, but relative to some group of persons" [1]Divine C...

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 7 Hours Ago

There probably exists a necessary, external cause to the universe

Toviyah
NoMagic

This will be a quick, 3-round, open debate. BOP will be on me. Minimum ELO to vote will be 2500. Definitions: Universe - Everything which is, or ever has been, actual Cause - Something which brings about some other state of affairs and is transitive such that if A causes B, and B causes C, then A causes C. Existence - The state of being. Necessary: Cannot not be. Good Luck...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 6 Hours Ago

Racism Is Natural and Has Evolutionary Origins

philosurfer

Racism Is Natural and Has Evolutionary OriginsDISCLAIMER : This debate will NOT endorse inequality, ethnic privilege, racial hate or bigotry or disenfranchisement. This debate is intended to debate the natural origins of racism. Hate will not be tolerated. This debate is not intended to offend anyone but designed to...

Challenge Period
160 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Physicalism is true.

SargonOfAkkad
1Credo

AveThe resolution of this debate states that "Physicalism is true". Physicalism amounts to the ontological thesis that there is nothing "beyond or above" the physical, and that all actually existing entities are supervenient on the physical. For the purposes of this debate, I will defend the truth of physicalism as...

Debating Period
7 Comments
Updated 10 Hours Ago

This House Believes That Synthetic A Priori Knowledge Exists!

Ajabi
bossyburrito

Welcome! THIS DEBATE IS IMPOSSIBLE TO ACCEPT. PLEASE COMMENT/MESSAGE ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ACCEPT THIS DEBATE, PLEASE ONLY DO SO IF YOU HAVE A HIGH ELO, OR OTHER CREDENTIALS IN PHILOSOPHY. YOU NEED 2000 ELO TO VOTE ON THIS DEBATE WITH A SELECT WINNER OPTION. Introduction: This debate seeks to adress one of the oldest, and most revelutionary ideas of Philosophy: of whether there exists...

Debating Period
24 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

It is plausible to assume that a finite universe was caused or created by a creator

Adam_Godzilla
EndlessVoid

Title: It is plausible to assume that a finite universe was created or caused by a creator Resolution: See *Conclusion D* Round 1: Pro:Argument Con: Rebuttal Round 2: Pro: Rebuttal Con: Rebuttal Round 3: Pro: Rebuttal and conclusion Con: Conclusion/ no rebuttals by Con (failure to do so results in a concession/ 7 point loss) Argument: 1. That which is finite was caused. The Big Bang is so often described as a spontaneous explosion of matter from a single point called the si...

Debating Period
13 Comments
Updated 12 Hours Ago

Murder is not wrong.

kCTy3heprdcNmXX
Reeseroni

Very Simple - Murder is not wrong, i am an atheist i do not believe in religion. But in the eyes of a christian murder would be considered wrong in the eyes of god. But god himself murdered 24,994,828 people. So why cant i?...

Debating Period
6 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

Do humans know everything?

Almog
Commondebator

Think about it...and when I say think about it, I mean throw away everything you think you know about what you don't, and think deeply about the argument. It is possible to know everything. By possible to know everything, I mean not in a carnal state, but rather in a general state. When one knows everything in a general state, only thing can someone learn everything in specificity. There are may questions people think are unanswered, but they are in our face. In order to know everything, you hav...

Voting Period
13 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

Same-Sex Marriage

LostintheEcho1498
Edwar3je

Alrighty, here is the structure: 1. Acceptance 2. Main Argument (no rebuttal) 3. Rebuttal 4. Conclusion (no rebuttal, any last info) We will be debating on whether or not gay marriage/same-sex marriage should be legal. Trolling is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. These definitions will be the accepted ones: Marriage: a ceremony in which two people are married to each other (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/marriage) Gay/homosexual: sexually attracted to people of the...

Debating Period
10 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

The Universe has an External Cause or Explanation to it's Existence

Envisage

*Leave a message to accept this debate, as it is closed*Full Resolution: "The Universe has an External Cause or Explanation to it's Existence"Definitions:...

Challenge Period
32 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago