Philosophy Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

All ideas are a logical interpretation of emotion

mschechtel17
CosmoJarvis

I present that all original ideas are a logical and practical interpretation of a certain feeling or emotion. Specifically that the formation on an idea takes place with an undeniable relationship to emotion and is expressed in the physical world to either prevent a specific emotion or in reaction to a specific emotion. An example of how this could happen is as follows: A stimulus elicits an emotion -> the human mind interprets that emotion to form an idea -> then the human person expresses that...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 11 Hours Ago

Did Joseph Stalin ruin Communism?

Avelvetnightmare
DrIVanHopekins

Hello comrades, My argument today is how Joseph Stalin, possibly the most famous Communist in world history, kept the Soviet Union from being the best country it could have been and effectively tainted communism with his reign, changing its ideology for the worse and negatively influencing the future of communism. Here are my reasons: 1. Lack of Equality One of the very core beliefs of Marxism is the destruction of Social Classes and the rights and powers of the Individual. As well as c...

Debating Period
7 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Believing someone is a certain way will make them change

Mitchell_Snyder
dellomorgan123

First off, let me elaborate on the topic; if you knew someone was generally morally bad, but treated them as if they were good for a long enough time, would they become better? Now this can go not just for bad or good, but also other traits such as (confidence, shyness, outlook, etc). Here is my stance: We all know that, generally speaking if people treat us like we are dumb for instance, we will eventually believe it and it will shape us. However are some people immune to it? I for one doubt it...

Debating Period
5 Comments
Updated 7 Hours Ago

Abortion Is Morally Acceptable

myopinionisright1
sboss18

This is the definition given in any respectable medical textbook. To declare a beginning of life at any point after the fusing of a wife"s egg and a husband"s contribution is irrational and an exercise in sophistical chicanery. Only machines such as clocks and cars come into existence part by part. Living beings come into existence all at once and gradually unfold their world of innate potential. A living human person begins to exist at the moment of conception, even though only as a cell. What...

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

If you're a man can you rape another man and say "no homo" to make it not gay???

duiven
Sui_Generis

Well if you're a guy and you have sex with another guy and say "NO HOMO" It's not gay because of that statement. The phrase "no homo" literally means that whatever it's being applied to in that context is not homosexual, or gay. I'm interested to see what con brings up....

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Have 10,000 debates yielded any knowledge?

TheUnexaminedLife
BeBraveandDreambig

This is the 10,000th debate. In the previous 9,999, do you think that any knowledge has been accumulated? I will argue that no, we are still uncertain of any facticity and have only assumed truths by arguing. You are free to respond against my propositions in any way you so conceive....

Debating Period
8 Comments
Updated 17 Hours Ago

Objective morality is an incoherent concept.

3RU7AL
Lupricona

Thank you for participating in this debate. I will be arguing in favor of the view that objective morality is an incoherent concept. The term "objective" is generally understood to mean something that is independent of observation and not subject to opinion or interpretation. An "objective" observer is expected to be totally impartial and unbiased. On the other hand, "morality" is considered to be a system of values and/or principles of conduct, along with associated prescribed consequence...

Debating Period
10 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

IQ tests (Intelligence quotient) are valid measures of human intelligence.

Zurnie
Yamm090

Is there a better way to score someones ability to think critically ? Can you put effort into changing a score? Can you actually become smarter, or are you always the same IQ basically, as an adult. Aspects and variables needed to accounted for? culture? beliefs?, trauma? abuse? Learning disabilities? Emotional intelligence? I"d love to have you state your opinions....

Debating Period
2 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago

God is omnipotent

Sidex
MagicAintReal

God is omnipotent 1st Round: Acceptance 2nd round: Argue existence of "God"(must be Christian God). 3rd round: Argue rationality of omnipotence. 4th round: Dispute opponents logic and type opinionated conclusions. Pro/Con will be able to use any source to define terms throughout the debate. Pro/Con can use any material from the opponent's previous debates. On a personal note, I know that I have been "abrasive", but this time, I would like objective voting, regardless of how you feel...

Debating Period
16 Comments
Updated 17 Minutes Ago

Anarchy

BernardIsosceles
DarthDebater

Please... Who will enforce rules or legislate them if there are no rulers. Clearly I'm missing a huge point here... Please enlighten me. (I'm not being sarcastic)...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago