Philosophy Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

The Philosophy of Relativism

JimShady
LuciferWept

I, Jimmy, will be arguing that Relativism, which is the belief that certain truths are true for me but not for you is in fact false. You, the Pro, will be arguing that the philosophy of Relativism is true, that your truth is not the same as MY truth. The structure of this debate will be Round 1, acceptance, Round 2, arguments, and Round 3, new arguments and rebuttals. A future thanks goes to my future opponent. And, unrelated to this debate, I'll be doing another rap battle sometime, bu...

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

There is no such thing as a mercy killing

Arganger
ChurnedCreamery

Anywhere it calls a murder a mercy killing, the reality is this: a hate crime. Calling a hate crime a mercy killing gives way to much sympathy to the killer, and devalues the victim. It also often affects the verdict and gives the murderer a break, while reinforcing the idea that the group of people the victim is from is inherently worth less. I am mostly referring to in cases of parents or caregivers murdering a disabled person,but other cases may be discussed....

Voting Period
6 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Is faith healing immoral?

bruno_the_destroyer
Torvald

I believe that faith healing is an immoral practice; it is demonstrably based on falsehoods, such as the idea that western medicine is flawed, and that the solution is based on faith. despite this, on its own, this fact does not make it immoral. The immorality comes from when you charge someone money for a result that you know they will never gain. This makes it a fraud. Especially if you take money off of the terminally ill....

Debating Period
5 Comments
Updated 1 Week Ago

Arganger
Kateasaurus

Anywhere it calls a murder a mercy killing, the reality is this: a hate crime. Calling a hate crime a mercy killing gives way to much sympathy to the killer, and devalues the victim. It also often affects the verdict and gives the murderer a break, while reinforcing the idea that the group of people the victim is from is inherently worth less. I am mostly referring to in cases of parents or caregivers murdering a disabled person....

Debating Period
12 Comments
Updated 2 Weeks Ago

A Proposition Is Logically Provable If and Only If It Is True

holla1755
ssadi

My claim and my opening argument are given in the ultimate, logical sense of "provability." A logically provable proposition is a proposition for which it is logically possible that some proof of the proposition exists. It's self-evident that if a proposition is logically provable, then it is true. The converse is also true. That is, if a proposition is true, then it is logically provable. The argument for the converse is as follows. Suppose a proposition is true. The true proposition's tr...

Debating Period
8 Comments
Updated 1 Week Ago

If You're Right, You Can Convince Me of Your Side

holla1755
Cobalt

Suppose you are on the right side of a claim. Then all of your experiences and knowledge come together and form your correct position. You can convince me that you are right by disclosing the appropriate experiences and knowledge to me. Therefore, you can convince me of your side....

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 2 Weeks Ago

This House would prefer a hierarchal feminist movement over a decentralized one

MasterManav
Sonofcharl

Today we are proud to bring forward the resolution "This house would prefer a hierarchal feminist movement over the common decentralized one." We on this side of the house believe that there is no exact definition of feminism. Yes, one could say "It is a movement promoting equality of the sexes" However we believe that in today's society we have too many different types of feminism. We have women who want to turn the tables and say that feminism is a movement promoting female domination. Whil...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 2 Weeks Ago

God probably does exist

PowerPikachu21
Sandy_358

I'm going to do another of these debates. But I decided I'll give myself a challenge by trying to prove thatGod does exist.Definitions:God; The supreme ruler of our universe, usually depicted as having infinite powerExist; Having objective being within our universeI'm looking forward to a challenge. ...

Debating Period
8 Comments
Updated 2 Weeks Ago

Subjective Morality/Moral Relativism ought to be encoraged over Objective Morality/Moral Realism [2]

MakeDebatingGreatAgain
TheUnexaminedLife

I will be arguing that subjective morality should be preferred to objective morality, for reasons to be discussed in my arguments. My opponent will argue for moral objectivity/moral realism. (Moral realism falls under moral objectivity.)Subjective morality/Moral Relativism is defined as: Moral codes and laws can not be true of false from an objective viewpoint, but only from an individuals subjective viewpoint.

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 2 Weeks Ago

Subjective Morality (Moral Relativism) ought to be encoraged over Objective Morality (Moral Realism)

MakeDebatingGreatAgain
JustMasum

Debating Period
2 Comments
Updated 2 Weeks Ago