Philosophy Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

Can God create a rock so big he can't lift it, or not create the rock? either, not @ same time

dairygirl4u2c

Can an Omnipotent God create a rock he cannot lift? it is said that If one answers yes to the question, then God is therefore not omnipotent because he cannot lift the rock, but if one answers no to the question, God is no longer omnipotent because he cannot create the rock.my position is that he can do one or the other, at different times, but he can't do both at the same time. and, that he can't do both at the same time doesn't disprove God as omnipotent.

Challenge Period
1 Comments
Updated 4 Hours Ago

the golden rule in application is not clear

dairygirl4u2c

the rule itself may be clear, but the application of the rule isn't always. maybe instead of disorganized mess of ideas as i gave in the past, i will give a hypothetical.for example. intervention v deferrence. John is doing cocaine, and only dabbles in it and views it as nondebateably harmless in the bigger picture. Bob thinks any cocaine use is going too far, and is not debatable to say otherwise. Bob personally would want someone to inverven...

Challenge Period
0 Comments
Updated 4 Hours Ago

chicken or the egg- i say the egg came first

dairygirl4u2c

one needs to define chicken. a chicken is one which can mate and have kids with at least one chicken in existence. if you were to go back in time, there would be the first chicken capable of doing this. that chicken came in the form of an egg.that chicken came from a chicken hybrid. all other attempts to answer this question wrongly define chicken. once chicken is properly defined, one has to conclude that the...

Challenge Period
1 Comments
Updated 4 Hours Ago

Is a zygote a person with rights?

ILoveSitarMusic
LibertyLover

I say no. The zygote does not have brainwaves. Life begins when the fetus has brainwaves. Brainwaves are how you tell if someone is alive. Brainwaves stop when someone dies....

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 19 Minutes Ago

I Am Psychic

masterdrave
Varrack

I am a psychic. I've proven it before. Whomever accepts this debate, I will guess their full name (including their middle name) and the members of their family, to prove my case....

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Would you give up your house and most of your belongings to save the environment?

dloslund
LsnapZ

Gat as many votes as possible, I don't need reasons, thanks. Quick!...

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

The nature of nothingness is negative not neutral

wallfly
JustAdmitAMoronBeatYou

First round is acceptanceburden of proof lies on both partiesI am going to prove that nothingness is a negative that subtracts from existence. Con has to prove that nothingness is neutral, that is, it does not exist therefore it has no characteristics. (or con can argue for some other characteristic) ...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

American democracy is a failure.

learnyang1812
Mike_10-4

As Abraham Lincoln explains in the Gettysburg Address, democracy is intended to be a "government of the people, by the people, for the people," however, in 2015 we find that modern democracy no longer achieves those goals and has failed the people it was intended to save. American democracy has devolved to such a point that it is no longer for the people nor by the people and fails at its entire purpose. Throughout the course of this debate, as the affirmative I will be tasked with the burde...

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 1 Hour Ago

Consciousness/ Brain Correlations Do Not Show Consciousness Depends On Brains For Its Existence

Rational_Thinker9119

It seems pretty clear that there are huge correlations between our conscious minds and brain activity. Some use these correlations to infer that brains generates minds themselves, or that consciousness is either reducible to brain states, supervenes on brain states, is a property of brain states, or emerges from brain states. I will be arguing that the correlation between the mind and the brain does not demonstrate any of these Materialistic conclusions. Th...

Challenge Period
66 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago

Is "justified true belief" a good definition for knowledge?

STMannew
lol101

To say "justified true belief is good definition for knowledge" is a conflation of belief and knowledge, as all "belief" is believed to be true and as such its justification is implied in one way or another. However, not all knowledge is known to be true. Therefore, "justified true belief" is a good definition for belief instead....

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago