dairygirl4u2c
Hawkeye117

point of fetal pain should be used instead of viability as abortion regulation standard

dairygirl4u2c

Pro

instead of being able to regulate when abortion can occur based on viability, it should be based on when the fetus starts feeling pain. the fact we'd have to use pain killers to kill the fetus shows the inhumanity of what is being done. viability is not a magic spot of when a fetus feels pain, or is suddenly a human, take it back a few moments and it's still a person. why not just take it back to the humane point of fetus pain?
Hawkeye117

Con

In your argument your argument is just the fact of why base abortion off viability, and instead base abortion off of when the baby would feel pain. The problem with your argument is when a fetus would first feel pain. Fact it we don"t know for a fact we do know when and how fetal brain development happens but when it would feel pain is a different animal. And since you are for the abortion just arguing how it should be done and when and I"m con I"m going to turn this argument and say why regulate abortion at all. See my philosophy is you only get one life you are born then you die that"s it weather you believe there is an afterlife if a different topic all together, but we"re not here to argue that but here about abortion. Like I said we all just get one life and we should be able to live it the way we wish and the way we feel best and with that being said we just get this one body and you can choose what you want to do with it to get piercings, dye your hair, hell even get boob jobs. So why should we regulate abortions this is a woman"s body her one and only body and is staring to make a new human but has to rely on her till he is devopted enough to survive in the outside world; and maybe that woman doesn't want to have a child anymore due to financial issues, or life issues, or maybe just not ready to have a child. And such that the woman"s body is using up her resources her time and all the countless issues that come with having a child that I as a male could never understand. But like I said this is her body why should we decide what she should do with her body by saying if she could have an abortion or not or regulating it by weather the fetus is viable or can feel pain. And with that said I well finish my argument and look ford to your next argument and if you would please keep religion out of the argument as I would not like to turn this into two arguments instead of one. Good luck.
dairygirl4u2c

Pro

i think it was clear enough that con should have been someone who think the status quo should exist, with viability as the standard. i should choose not to engage in con's argument. but, instead i will compromise and refer him to my generally against abortion arguments that i've made before....

http://www.debate.org...

if con wishes to engage in this debate, he should refer and respond to the arguments in that link.
Hawkeye117

Con

Well with the way you worded the debate you made it sound as when we should have abortion when the fetus would feel pain, by viability, but I went with it should be the mothers choice no one else"s, but since that doesn"t satisfy you I well play devil"s advocate and debate that abortion should it be put into law and be regulated should be based on viability.
My first argument for this would be around week 7 the brain starts growing rapidly and thus one can assume that the developing fetus could feel pain at this point but so as of then the child couldn"t be aborted anymore so then what about if the mother was an drug abuser or an alcoholic and the fetus shows signs of not developing correctly or is having complications after that 7 weeks that child could no longer be aborted even if the mother whished it. While if the law were to be due to viability as soon as complications show in the fetus the fetus could be aborted and would not have to suffer any longer nor the mother knowing that the child growing in here well not lead a normal life and could quite possibly have a painful life ahead of him/her. Basing aborting off weather or not a fetus can feel pain is quite absurd if you ask me as a baby takes about 38-40 weeks to full develop and only allowing an abortion to occur within 7 weeks of impregnation is asinine as anything that could compromise the baby"s health and body during that time which would/ could compromise the baby"s ability to live in the outside world normally. And by normally I mean eat talk walk have 2 arms 2 legs, everything fully formed able to cognitively think feed one"s self take care of one"s self once one comes of age and not be born with a disability such as little brain function and put in a wheel chair for the rest of their life due to the mother coming down with an illness during the child"s 17th week of growth but the mother couldn"t abort as it would cause pain to the fetus. With the law being if the child is viable the child would be aborted. But that"s my devil"s advocate stance good luck with the debate and look Foard to see what you have to say next.
Hawkeye117

Con

As you can see pro gave up and didn't even give a rebuttal even though i gave against pro still. Well I leave the voting up to the people.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
dairygirl4u2cHawkeye117Tied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate was a mess and I'm nulling my vote.