fixedwounds
Reigon

politics should be taught in high school

Reigon

fixedwounds

Pro

High school students tend to be more interested in politics than they seem. They are mature enough to be taught about it in schools, just as they teach them history, they are supposed to be adding modern day politics (which is much more interesting than history politics) even if students are not going to be graded for it, but making them aware of what's going on in the world is good.
Reigon

Con

Hello, I agree that students need to know politics but simply forcing them to take a course on politics will not actually motivate them to get out there and actually learn and get involved in politics.

I'm a senior in high school and in my school we take one semester of Government then Economics the other semester. I will be speaking from my experience on why I'm against politics being taught in high school.
fixedwounds

Pro

As I said that they shouldn't be graded for it, then it would be added as an extra class, so they probably wont be forced to study it. But just by giving them a chance to understand whatsoever politics are there around the world is very educating, especially that there are students who are very interested in such field.
Reigon

Con

If they aren't graded for it I doubt they'd even show up to class unless it's mandatory and even then they wouldn't care about the class at all to even give an effort.

We have to look at the mentality of high school students.If there are students who are interested in the field they'll do research and look into politics on their own instead of following a curriculum developed by the school.

My passion in school is History I've always loved social studies classes in general. I've taken a Government class in which our teacher often implemented politics into the course. Ex one of our homework would be to watch the Republican debate and write about it. Our teacher often tried to make us discuss politics in class but students are lazy they don't care (note it's an honor class). It's usually me talking about candidates and their policies to the teacher, the only time other students would actually get involved would be to trash talk Donald Trump because of what he has said.

Another reason is teachers are not allowed to express their political views in class, they don't want teachers to influence a student's political views.

We need another way to make young folks to take an interest in politics, having a class about it in high school will not help.
fixedwounds

Pro

fixedwounds forfeited this round.
Reigon

Con

Pro concedes if he forfeits the next round.
fixedwounds

Pro

fixedwounds forfeited this round.
Reigon

Con

Pro concedes, vote con!
Posted by fixedwounds 1 year ago
fixedwounds
forgive my arrogance, medicine, but I don't want someone coming on my debates and telling me how stupid or foolish my debate topic is. :)
Posted by Meropenem777 1 year ago
Meropenem777
What you're referring to is essentially called modern world history class. Asinine debate topic.
Vote Placed by 42lifeuniverseverything 1 year ago
42lifeuniverseverything
fixedwoundsReigonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited. So conduct to Con. Arguments to Con based on two reasons. 1) Pro argues highschool interest in politics, and Con rebuts with personal example of honors class that doesn't care. Because of no rebuttal from Pro, Con wins this argument. 2) Pro argues they don't need to be graded on the course, Con correctly responds that a non-graded mandatory course is a waste of time. Con wins this argument. Because these were the two main arguments of the round, and Con won both, Con wins arguments. Good job both of you.