dairygirl4u2c
Machrineith

polygamy is more natural than.. monogamy

Machrineith

dairygirl4u2c

Pro

polygamy is more natural than monogamy

polygamy is more widely practiced in human society now and historically, so that is an indicator, given we are part of the natural world.

polygamy is by far most widely practiced in the animal kingdom, even with closely related primates.

they did a study on primates, and concluded that the wider a species shoulder, the more polygamous that species is. humans are on the conservative, but polygamous side of things.
Machrineith

Con

Thank you for submitting this debate.

I will be taking the stance that monogamy is more natural in the human environment than polygamy is, and from there I will show how the human species benefits more from monogamous relationships than polygamous relationships (thus showing it is more "natural"). If you choose to refuse the specifics of this argument, I will also be providing why the human environment is the most suitable perspective on this argument as opposed to other perspectives.

First, I would like to start with definitions. I will be using monogamy and polygamy strictly in the biological sense as the very definition of natural according to Merriam-Webster is "existing in nature and not made or caused by people; coming from nature." Also, the definitions of monogamy and polygamous are as follows: "the state or practice of having only one sexual partner during a period of time" and "having more than one mate at one time." If these definitions are acceptable, please state so.

Secondly, I would like to build a foundation for my argument on the importance of monogamy in human nature and why it is more important than the argument of polygamy in the animal kingdom. I'd first like to start by stating that humans have a greater control over nature than any other species. We can control animal breeding habits, their environment, their diet, what other species they engage with, etc. It is because of this control that the animal kingdom has largely been affected and the argument of what becomes natural in the animal kingdom becomes convoluted; we would get more into an argument of the definition of nature than actually arguing about polygamy and monogamy. Thus, humans are a more acceptable species for determining whether polygamy or monogamy is more natural as we can trace how humans have developed as a race to a large degree. I'd like to invite the Pro argument to state their counter-arguments to this separately than the main argument and state whether or not they accept this position.

Finally, I would like to develop my argument on how monogamy is more natural in humans than polygamy is. The central idea for monogamy in humans is the importance of bi-parental care. In human society, pregnant mothers are unable to accomplish many of the tasks that are natural in human society. The fathers inclusion both during and after the pregnancy will not only allow the family to live more freely due to options that the mother cannot complete (or naturally in this case), but will also allow extra care for the mother which increases the likeliness that the mother and offspring survive. The necessity to survive in itself, is natural; humans can naturally think logically and have an understanding of this importance to a much greater effect than the animal kingdom does. Furthermore, after birth and throughout the development of the offspring, the father counterpart can usually protect the offspring much more effectively than the mother counterpart simply due to genetic makeup. Males are stronger naturally as a whole while the female body is more suited towards taking care of the child both throughout pregnancy and throughout birth. These traits are natural and for humans with our natural instincts of survival, trend towards monogamy in various forms.

Here are my sources and I await your rebuttal.
http://www.livescience.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
dairygirl4u2c

Pro

dairygirl4u2c forfeited this round.
Machrineith

Con

My arguments will stand and I have nothing further to add at this time. I patiently await your reply.
dairygirl4u2c

Pro

dairygirl4u2c forfeited this round.
Machrineith

Con

The opposition has failed to support any of their central ideas with facts while I have not only addressed theirs, but have brought up points of my own that have not been countered. I have stressed the importance of monogamy in regards to humans and have stated before that humans are the ideal focal point because of our understanding of our history and the unknown factors that arise when studying both polygamy and monogamy. Where do we set the boundaries in a controlled environment to determine what ideal conditions are for mating various species? What species do we look at considering the vastness of the animal kingdom? Certainly it wouldn't be practical to look at all of them and there would be a bias and grey area when deciding what animals to select and under what conditions.

Bi-parental care has no specific record of when it has dated back but even in today's society, there is scientific proof that the offspring is put into more favorable conditions. These favorable conditions are in itself natural as the human race strives towards evolution and improving the well-being of humankind.

Thank you for submitting this debate and best of luck during the voting process.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
Message me when it's time to vote.
Posted by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
The Debate Title is only True for certain groups of Humans!
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Mister_Man
I agree - it is natural to care about multiple people; pushing natural human emotions aside to only be with one person is just that - unnatural. Traditional marriage has nothing to do with emotions, it has to do with commitment to one person. To not allow yourself to feel emotions for other people really is against your own emotions and human will.

Good luck to whoever Con will be.
Posted by tahir.imanov 2 years ago
tahir.imanov
I agree. Do you want to be my 34th spouse??? :)
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
dairygirl4u2cMachrineithTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by Sagey 2 years ago
Sagey
dairygirl4u2cMachrineithTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro Forfeited
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
dairygirl4u2cMachrineithTied