DebateChampion1
PericIes

pop music is better than rap

PericIes
Started: 8/3/2015 Category: Music

DebateChampion1

Pro

pop music are better than rap's because at least they don't contain bad,inappropriate words like a rap music does. Rap song's lyrics show that a man has to have/show his money off. Too young to dumb to realize
That I should have bought you flowers
and held your
Should have gave you all my hours
when i had the chance
-Bruno Mars Men should realize their mistakes and admit them (Pop) I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose
Fire away, fire away
Ricochet, take your aim
Fire away, fire away
You shoot me down but I won't fall
I am titanium
-By David Guetta and Sia That women are powerful ^__^ As you can see that most of the mainstream rap songs portray women as sexual objects and that men have to be tough. While in pop music women have the power; they make guys regret losing them like in Bruno Mars' song When i was your man or like in David Guetta's song Titanium which is song by a women named Sia when she shows that she's powerful and is able to make it through things no matter what you throw at her. CONCLUSION Rap v. Pop Rap and Pop music has always been different on how it talks about masculinity and femininity. Basically they talk about how a person has to be as a female or male and I'm going to point out the differences of how they portray men and women. Women want just sex and Men have to be gangsta These h**s want that hose pipe, so i give all these h**s pipe
She get on that D**k and stay on , all night like porch lights
Lets do it, f**k talkin, we out here we ballin
And I'm spraying at these rusty n****s like WD-40
-Lil Wayne The first line basically states that he is wanted by women or you can say they just want you know what. Second line states that he's good enough in bed for her to have sex all night. Line four saying he's spraying which means shooting at these played out guys or any one acting funny. Therefore as a man you have to be good in bed and be a gangsta. As a women you basically have to be sexual. In this entire song Bruno Mars realizes his mistake of what he did to his girlfriend and realizes that he should have done all these things when he had her. In rap music the only mistake you make with a music is not hitting it and to not be cuffed. It shows that men can be sensitive, that they make mistakes and not all of them look at women as sexual beings. The lyrics talk about the subject of a women being powerful the lyrics are sung by Sia and she's saying she's powerful and indestructible. Also that that when she is shot down she's not fallen, so it puts a positive outlook on women instead of them being used as sexual objects and toys.
PericIes

Con

Hello. I'd like to thank my opponent for this debate, which provided me with entertainment once upon a 4:37 am dreary.

My opponent argues that pop is better than rap for a multitude of reasons, but these seem to be able to be summed up with the claim that "pop is better than rap because rap is more disrespectful than pop." Disrespect towards women is alluded to in particular.

My point of rebuttal will be unconventional (I'm feeling adventurous) but simple, and it goes thusly: pop cannot be objectively better than rap because the matter itself is not an objective one. Preference is subjective. It may well be that my opponent THINKS that pop is better than rap, but unless they can provide a standard by which "better" is measured in this instance, and show (because burden of proof is certainly on them) that pop ranks higher on this scale than rap, then there is really no way in which their claim can be validated. I will illustrate this point with a few examples taken from my oponent's opening argument.

"While in pop music women have the power; they make guys regret losing them like in Bruno Mars' song When i was your man..."
My opponent's and my own personal opinions aside, women "having the power" does not by necessity make a genre of music superior. I don't see how it could. Not only do plenty of people disagree with the concept, but it has no effect on the actual quality of the music. It seems as though my opponent is arguing against the ideals of the people that perform rap, rather than the performance of rap itself, which digresses from the debate which they themselves started.

"Therefore as a man you have to be good in bed and be a gangsta." Why is a genre of music in which this idea is sometimes perpetuated objectively inferior to another arbitrary genre?

"As a women you basically have to be sexual." Why is a genre of music in which this idea is sometimes perpetuated pbjectively inferior to another arbitrary genre?

Objectivity is the key concept here. It is a test that can be applied to every claim my opponent makes and every reason that they give for those claims, and none of his claims or sources of support can pass that test.
DebateChampion1

Pro

That I should have bought you flowers
and held your
Should have gave you all my hours
when i had the chance
Fire away, fire away
Ricochet, take your aim
Fire away, fire away
You shoot me down but I won't fall
I am titanium
PericIes

Con

My opponent used the exact same argument in this round as in the previous one. Therefore, my points still stand, and I await an actual rebuttal.
DebateChampion1

Pro

DebateChampion1 forfeited this round.
PericIes

Con

My opponent forfeited this round and basically forfieited the last round. Vote for me!
Posted by DebateChampion1 2 years ago
DebateChampion1
? wha......
Posted by Restless 2 years ago
Restless
If this is an issue of the genres as a whole shouldn't the examples not be limited to popular songs that everyone agrees has "good lyrics" and the rap songs shouldn't just be negative examples either. The Argument is pop music is better than rap therefore, you can not dismiss things that make up the songs other than lyrics (eg. Instrumentals, and the skill of the artist and what it takes to make such a song (ha))
I laugh because inevitably everything discussed here will be about songs that have gone through a computer several times to reach the final product. But hey, I'm still satisfied with the results.

Please excuse my poor grammar. :)
Vote Placed by imabench 2 years ago
imabench
DebateChampion1PericIesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro just literally copy and pasted his own argument from round 1 and didnt even care to respond to any of con's valid points, and then forfeited the very last round on top of that. Easy win for the con
Vote Placed by bballcrook21 2 years ago
bballcrook21
DebateChampion1PericIesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Subjectivity and forfeiture. Pro used same argument twice.