Debating.girl
JustinBieberFan123

porn to be made illegal

JustinBieberFan123

Debating.girl

Pro

Yes, porn is a huge part of society however Porn should be made illegal as it causes many issues. Firstly; young people are exposed to it as it is just a few clicks away, it can be accessed from mobile devices, tablets, computers, and also even on TV. Young people think that it is normal to watch it as their friends or older siblings have, but it isn't cool at all. It can cause all sorts of long term issues.
Porn stars are fake, they have implants and cosmetic surgery to get behind the camera and onto screens. These fakes become fantasies, young people get brainwashed by them and then when it comes to reality become very disappointed. Porn makes it hard for people to approach the opposite sex as they aren't necessarily attracted to them as they look nothing like the porn stars. This makes finding a relationship very hard.
As many boys/men enjoy watching porn and get erected from what they see, when they actually go to do anything with a real woman they find that erections can be hard to get. Porn gives people a false sense of what real women and sex is like. Not many women have the same sort of body or look like these porn stars so when a man who watches porn gets with a normal girl arousal is messed up.
Porn often takes away motivation to go out and enjoy yourself, as you porn and masturbation can get in the way, people tend to stay in so that they can watch porn which can make them lazy and weak.
Porn can cause self esteem issues as the fantasies override reality. Many women feel insure about their partners watching porn as they feel like their body or their sexual acts aren't enough for their partner, many women don't have the breasts or bottom or vagina that the porn stars have, this can make them very insecure and lower self esteem. Men can also be made to feel as when they see these porn stars penis' they often compare the size, as these porn stars have quite large ones they believe that that is the normal size and begin to feel that theirs is inadequate.
Porn can ruin relationships, either due to making the partner feel very insure or stopping arousal.
If porn was made illegal underaged young people won't be able to access it. People will become more motivated and go out and meet real people. People will start to expect reality and erectile dysfunction & arousal issues will be solved. People will begin to feel that they are good enough once again and self esteem will be raised in many people. People will find relationships and sexual acts will become meaningful, within these relationships porn won't be able to ruin it. Everyone can get pleasure if they seek it In the right way. Porn isn't the answer.
JustinBieberFan123

Con

Ok, I will be that guy... Since I am Con, I just need to negate my opponents argument. Pro assumes burden of proof, for she proposes an action against the status quo.

I will begin with an unusual format, but I want to rebut first... I want to, ok!

"Firstly; young people are exposed to it as it is just a few clicks away"

Well, not necessarily. Regarding porn online, many sites require you to confirm your age. Parents can use software to disallow their children from viewing it online. It would be worth adding that it is illegal for children to view pornography if they are below the age of eighteen. Regarding porn as material (magazines etc.) it is regulation, or against the law to view or purchase it when you are below the age of eighteen. Although, some may find a way to access it illegally, however, it is illegal, if we apply Pro's logic to alcohol, that should be banned as well, because minors can get a hold of it.

" it can be accessed from mobile devices, tablets, computers, and also even on TV"

On every device that Pro listed, there can be parental software implemented so they cannot view the sites. As I have mentioned earlier, to view it would be illegal...

"Young people think that it is normal to watch it as their friends or older siblings have, but it isn't cool at all. It can cause all sorts of long term issues."

This is not valid for an entire ban. This applies for alcohol as well... We should not ban something on the bases that some people may or may not find it 'cool'. You also provide no solitary sources to confirm this.

"Porn stars are fake, they have implants and cosmetic surgery to get behind the camera and onto screens."

Not necessarily. There are many categories of porn...To each their own actually. Some people don't like 'fake girls' so they choose to watch natural girls 'perform' instead.

"These fakes become fantasies, young people get brainwashed by them and then when it comes to reality become very disappointed."

Hmmm, I don't understand this. She refers to the 'fantasies' that she just mentioned before, yet states something that seems out of context. She referred to girls being fake. How would this become a fantasy? Are you meaning girls wanting implants etc.? Well, that would require them to watch porn in the first place; it is illegal! Breast implants are a very popular modification, they could easily get it done when they are older. I don't see how this is a fantasy.

"Porn makes it hard for people to approach the opposite sex as they aren't necessarily attracted to them as they look nothing like the porn stars."

No evidence...

"many boys/men enjoy watching porn and get erected from what they see, when they actually go to do anything with a real woman they find that erections can be hard to get."

No evidence...

"Porn gives people a false sense of what real women and sex is like. "

No evidence...

Ok, ok, I am lazy... I can't be bothered quoting every single line... I'm Sorry! I will just quote the entire paragraph...

"Porn can cause self esteem issues as the fantasies override reality. Many women feel insure about their partners watching porn as they feel like their body or their sexual acts aren't enough for their partner, many women don't have the breasts or bottom or vagina that the porn stars have, this can make them very insecure and lower self esteem. Men can also be made to feel as when they see these porn stars penis' they often compare the size, as these porn stars have quite large ones they believe that that is the normal size and begin to feel that theirs is inadequate.
If porn was made illegal underaged young people won't be able to access it. People will become more motivated and go out and meet real people. People will start to expect reality and erectile dysfunction & arousal issues will be solved. People will begin to feel that they are good enough once again and self esteem will be raised in many people. People will find relationships and sexual acts will become meaningful, within these relationships porn won't be able to ruin it. Everyone can get pleasure if they seek it In the right way. Porn isn't the answer."

Why no evidence? For next round can you please provide sources?

Pro's entire argument is constructed upon an 'argument from silence' fallacy. I assume much of her information is anecdotal.

Nevertheless, let's say her argument is, in fact, all valid... From start to finish... All valid... If it is, it is constructed like so:

P1: It can harm people
C: It must be banned

We can apply this logic to literally every other subject or item that is legal, for example, let's take my good friend alcohol... What do you think alcohol? "Well, people can become alcoholics... I can be the cause for many car crashes... If people overindulge in me, it can cause severe liver problems." Thanks alcohol... Well, according to her logic, alcohol should be banned, cars should be banned, planes should be banned etc. etc.

An entire ban is a bit drastic... Pro should be arguing that there should be an increased awareness for the problems of pornography. The problems that she has listed doesn't apply to everyone... If there is more awareness regarding the potential problems, people could watch at their own risk - people might feel the positives outweigh the negatives. It would be unfair to ban it completely... Also, here argument is completely too idealistic... She assumes that no-one would get access to porn. How? Do you expect everyone to abide by the law? What about the magazines? It can't be expected that people would just burn, or get rid of their porn. What about downloaded porn? You cannot expect people to just delete everything...

Well, over to you, Pro!

Debating.girl

Pro

".. Many sites require you to confirm your age. Parents can use software to disallow their children from viewing it online"

Some websites require age confirmation but people aren't afraid to lie, there is no way of the sites to find out if viewers are honest about their age. Some parents may be unsure how to use the software or device settings to prevent them accessing the sites. Yes it is illegal to view under 18 however without checks which can prove an actual age many people get away with underage viewing .

"If we apply pro's logic to alcohol, that should be banned as well, because minors can get hold of it"

Young people may be able to get hold of alcohol however there are ID checks on sales of alcohol. By law it is legal to drink in a private area once you are 5. Technically if somebody under 18 gets hold of alcohol and drinks it at home it is legal. It would be illegal to be sold the alcohol but then it would be the shop keeper that is breaking the law.

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk...

"On every device that Pro listed, there can be parental software implemented so they cannot view the sites. As I have mentioned earlier, to view it would be illegal..."

It would be illegal but there's no actual checks to confirm this, just the hope people will be honest. If parents are unaware of the software/device settings minors devices remain open to explicit sexual content. Some parent may trust their children won't view explicit content , and with the option to clear web history they can't exactly check. The only option would be to use the software which like I've said may not be known of or if it is they may not understand how to use it.

By the above quote I am giving an outline on why a lot of young people start to watch porn, and introducing that there are some issues that come with it.

"This is not valid for an entire ban. This applies for alcohol as well... We should not ban something on the bases that some people may or may not find it 'cool'."
I am not saying that porn should be banned as 'it isn't cool'. I meant that minors look up to people they know who watch it and think that it is cool to do so as society has made it seem that way. My reasoning for making porn illegal is that there is no checks on underage viewing and the issues porn causes in the long term.

Not many porn stars are natural. May I just add there are teen porn videos which are uploaded. This is illegal.

By this I mean that to people these porn stars are a fantasy, they fantasise over these people but probably will
Never meet someone who matches these people. I have asked a few people how they see these porn stars , reality or fantasy? They said fantasy.

I have just done some research, here are some websites which back up my points;
http://greatist.com...
http://www.menprovement.com...
http://www.highexistence.com...

"We can apply this logic to literally every other subject or item that is legal, for example, let's take my good friend alcohol... What do you think alcohol? "Well, people can become alcoholics... I can be the cause for many car crashes... If people overindulge in me, it can cause severe liver problems." Thanks alcohol... Well, according to her logic, alcohol should be banned, cars should be banned, planes should be banned etc"

my points are based on the statement I raised "porn to be illegal" . I don't see how the points I have raised suggest cars & planes should be banned- please explain . Alcohol is slightly different from porn as alcohol has much stricter ruling, it is harder to get hold of alcohol than access porn.

If porn isn't made illegal access should be made very restricted. If porn sites are removed then people won't be able to access it online, nothing can be done about any downloaded pornography however if sites are removed and magazines stop being produced issues can begin to get fixed.
JustinBieberFan123

Con

We haaaveee a responssseee!

Okay, I will rebut, your rebut? Lot's of butts around here, reminding me of porn really.

"Some websites require age confirmation but people aren't afraid to lie"

Mkay, but is against the law. A lot of websites require you to use your credit card as age confirmation... Is this an anecdotal? Maybe, maybe not... Don't judge me!

"there is no way of the sites to find out if viewers are honest about their age. "

An aforementioned credit card verification...

"Some parents may be unsure how to use the software or device settings to prevent them accessing the sites."

This is an appeal to extremes fallacy. Many computers come with the option. There is nothing stopping them with getting a friend, or asking for the computer to come pre-installed with the software. Point is, they don't need to do it themselves.

" Yes it is illegal to view under 18 however without checks which can prove an actual age many people get away with underage viewing"

But there are checks. When it asks you if you are over 18, you are 'pinky swearing' almost, that you are above the legal age. If you are found to be lying, you can be reprehensible for it.

"Young people may be able to get hold of alcohol however there are ID checks on sales of alcohol."

Don't be inconsistent please. You just attempted to invalidate my argument on the basis that people could bypass the legal system. As with alcohol, there is an age limit, which requires a proof of age, but we all have heard of a fake ID. Again this is still an appeal to extremes, so the proposition should have never been proposed in the first place...

"By law it is legal to drink in a private area once you are 5."

Ok, thanks for the new fact, good buddy ol' pal. It is true, you learn somthing new everyday. However, I don't see how this refutes anything...

" Technically if somebody under 18 gets hold of alcohol and drinks it at home it is legal"

But actually obtaining the alcohol is illegal. It actually says in your source "For an adult to buy or attempt to buy alcohol on behalf of someone under 18. (retailers can reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcohol to an adult if they’re accompanied by a child and think the alcohol is being bought for the child.)" So it is actually illegal to buy alcohol for your child. I will give you that, I suppose. However, the point about the consumption of alcohol of the 5 year old, it is very vague, and does not mention the actual limit that the child is allowed to consume. But, I do not see how this refutes anything, I believe this is a red herring...

" It would be illegal to be sold the alcohol but then it would be the shop keeper that is breaking the law."

Not if the person had a fake ID, then the shop keeper would be legally obligated to sell you the alcohol; it is only illegal when the shop keeper would ignore an age verification and sell you it regardless...

"it would be illegal but there's no actual checks to confirm this, just the hope people will be honest."

You say this in the context of the parental software... It have a similar effect as the 'blocked webistes' at school. I assume you are from a generation that is abundant with techonology, I assume you are familiar with the convention. There is no honesty involved, the children are denied access to the web address.

"Some parent may trust their children won't view explicit content "

Another appeal to extremes fallacy. The contention is that there are steps already in effect that try to mitigate the crime from occurring. This does not prove that it should be banned; Pro should be arguing that there should be more restrictions implemented to further reduce the amount of underage viewings. People can still purchase alcohol illegally, should alcohol be banned?

"and with the option to clear web history they can't exactly check."

Whenever you vist a site, your IP gets permanently recorded, there is no escaping. Nevertheless, the parental system could negate this from ever happening...

"The only option would be to use the software which like I've said may not be known of or if it is they may not understand how to use it."

The same logic could be said to fix a car... The person who needs their car fixed might not know how to fix it. From Pro's logic, this hypothetical person would never be able to fix their car. However, if there is more advertisement for this, they could easily get a technician, a friend or something like that in to apply it for them... As could the person easily get an engineer to fix their car.

""Young people think that it is normal to watch it as their friends or older siblings have, but it isn't cool at all. It can cause all sorts of long term issues."

Sorry, you have provided no solitary evidence for this assertion... Although, if it were valid, the same could be applied to alcohol.

"My reasoning for making porn illegal is that there is no checks on underage viewing and the issues porn causes in the long term."

Well, Pro effectively concedes here. First, you need to provide evidence that absolutely no porn website/material have no way of stopping children from viewing it... Since you can't, the debate is actually over. Awww. This debate ended a bit 'prematurely' if you get what I am saying? Ok, i will stop with the porn puns. I am sorry, "I can't stop"... <------ Ok last porn pun, I PROMISE.

"Not many porn stars are natural. May I just add there are teen porn videos which are uploaded. This is illegal."

You have to be above eighteen to actually appear in a porno/shoot porn. So no, not all teen porn videos are illegal. Only the ones that are younger than eighteen - which is CP (Child Porn) and you can get into some really deep kleenex if you view or upload it. Sorry for another porn pun.

"By this I mean that to people these porn stars are a fantasy, they fantasise over these people but probably will
Never meet someone who matches these people. I have asked a few people how they see these porn stars , reality or fantasy? They said fantasy."

An anecdotal fallacy. And provides no tangible logic or stats to prove this...

"I have just done some research, here are some websites which back up my points"

These do not directly back up your assertions. You have just listed some downsides to porn. There are downsides to alcohol, cigarettes etc. But free choice is there for a reason. As I have mentioned earlier people might find that the positives actually outweigh the negatives - this is a dropped argument, for you have left it uncontested. If we spread more awareness about the problems, it would reduce ignorance when approaching porn. People who might feel that the negatives outweigh the postives, could make a rational decision to whether they would like to view it or not. An entire ban would not rectify it.

"my points are based on the statement I raised "porn to be illegal" . I don't see how the points I have raised suggest cars & planes should be banned- please explain ."

I thought I had explained thouroughly earlier, but nevertheless, I will extend: it's an analogy... I used your same logic (premises and conclusion) to anything else that matches the criteria, to depict its fallaciousness... Your premise and conclusion is, if it can hurt people, it should be banned. The variable that people could access porn more easily than alcohol should be negated, for people can still get injured off of purchasing alcohol illegally.

"Alcohol is slightly different from porn as alcohol has much stricter ruling, it is harder to get hold of alcohol than access porn."

Not to sound rude our anything, but you only opine that it is - provide no sound evidence for this.

"If porn isn't made illegal access should be made very restricted."

Pro nullifies her own resolution and her own stance. She says that the problems could be rectified without a ban, therefore she has provided no real evidence for why a ban should happen.

"If porn sites are removed then people won't be able to access it online, nothing can be done about any downloaded pornography however if sites are removed and magazines stop being produced issues can begin to get fixed."

So she concedes that it would be very ineffective. There is nothing stopping the already existing videos from being duplicated and sent to friends, and material from being copied and passed on. I argue that this is not an appeal to extreams fallacy, because it is logical to deduce that there are many porn addicts around (^ as Pro mentioned in one of her sources) would logically do anything necessary to view porn again - the problems would continue, and the people who find that the pros outweigh the cons would suffer.

Well, Pro has already admitted that a ban isn't necessary, therefore the debate is already over - she made her BoP impossible to achieve. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted <--------------- my bad, I couldn't help myself.

Don't worry, round one and two is only forepla... I should really stop myself before the argument gets flagged lol. Anyways, over to you, Pro! Please don't flag my argument!

Debating.girl

Pro

I don't find your puns particularly funny.

"Mkay, but is against the law. A lot of websites require you to use your credit card as age confirmation... "
Take porn hub as an example it doesn't even ask for age confirmation let alone a credit card .

"This is an appeal to extremes fallacy. Many computers come with the option. There is nothing stopping them with getting a friend, or asking for the computer to come pre-installed with the software. Point is, they don't need to do it themselves."
To set restrictions on a mobile device you must do it manually this includes setting a password and disallowing websites.

"But there are checks. When it asks you if you are over 18, you are 'pinky swearing' almost, that you are above the legal age. If you are found to be lying, you can be reprehensible for it."
Doesn't stop people lying , most people aren't found out. My evidence for this is first hand, I know many people who have watched porn underaged, many for years however were never caught out.

"Don't be inconsistent please. You just attempted to invalidate my argument on the basis that people could bypass the legal system. As with alcohol, there is an age limit, which requires a proof of age, but we all have heard of a fake ID. Again this is still an appeal to extremes, so the proposition should have never been proposed in the first place..."
The age limit on porn isn't as strict as it is on alcohol, as alcohol is brought over the counter. Porn can be accessed online, yes there may be magazines but you would require a fake ID to purchase. Online people will lie about their age. You can't consume alcohol through a computer screen but you can access pornography.

"Not if the person had a fake ID, then the shop keeper would be legally obligated to sell you the alcohol; it is only illegal when the shop keeper would ignore an age verification and sell you it regardless..."
I am aware of this.

"You say this in the context of the parental software... It have a similar effect as the 'blocked webistes' at school. I assume you are from a generation that is abundant with techonology, I assume you are familiar with the convention. There is no honesty involved, the children are denied access to the web address."
As I have already mentioned some software is manual & on phones there is a way to prevent your parents setting up restrictions by setting a restriction which doesn't affect your internet and setting a password, unless your parents know the password they cannot get into the settings.

"Whenever you vist a site, your IP gets permanently recorded, there is no escaping. Nevertheless, the parental system could negate this from ever happening..."
When I mentioned the option of clearing history I am aware that the IP Gets recorded. I meant that parents cannot check their child's history to find out if that have been accessing inappropriate content. The IP address is recorded by the website, this will not inform the site of the age of the viewer.

"The same logic could be said to fix a car... The person who needs their car fixed might not know how to fix it. From Pro's logic, this hypothetical person would never be able to fix their car. However, if there is more advertisement for this, they could easily get a technician, a friend or something like that in to apply it for them... As could the person easily get an engineer to fix their car."
This is irrelevant. Firstly cars are hard to fix unless you are a mechanic or know exactly what to do and how to do it. Secondly the internet and smart phones/devices are relatively new, some parents wouldn't have grown up in the society that their children have- as society is forever changing. If a parent isn't technology smart they won't know how.

"Well, Pro effectively concedes here. First, you need to provide evidence that absolutely no porn website/material have no way of stopping children from viewing it... Since you can't, the debate is actually over. Awww. This debate ended a bit 'prematurely' if you get what I am saying? Ok, i will stop with the porn puns. I am sorry, "I can't stop"... <------ Ok last porn pun, I PROMISE."
Your puns aren't amusing. Pornography sites are blind to the lies as they trust people will
be honest.

"You have to be above eighteen to actually appear in a porno/shoot porn. So no, not all teen porn videos are illegal. Only the ones that are younger than eighteen - which is CP (Child Porn) and you can get into some really deep kleenex if you view or upload it. Sorry for another porn pun."
fake ID could be used

Please tell me the positives of porn.
JustinBieberFan123

Con

Thanks for the response Pro. I want you to know, that I had to cancel my beauty treatment to respond to this argument, so you should be deeply honoured.

"I don't find your puns particularly funny."

Awww. Well, I guess it must be an 'anti-climax'???? <-------------

"Take porn hub as an example it doesn't even ask for age confirmation let alone a credit card ."

Ohhhh so you have been on PornHub? How was it? But, yes, it does not ask you to verify your age, however this is an anecdotal fallacy. Just because one website doesn't ask you to verify your age, does not mean that all are the same. And you dropped the argument about material porn ie. magazines etc...

"To set restrictions on a mobile device you must do it manually this includes setting a password and disallowing websites."

What's wrong with that? We are talking about a situation where parents would tend to dictate their children's lives... When they are purchasing the phone for their children, they could ask for it to be done, or pay a little extra or something...

"Doesn't stop people lying , most people aren't found out."

This is a claim drawn out of thin air... Again, many people don't get caught for purchasing alcohol illegally. This reason alone, does not constitute an entire ban on pornography...

"My evidence for this is first hand, I know many people who have watched porn underaged, many for years however were never caught out."

Can you please Google search what an "anecdotal fallacy" is, please?

"The age limit on porn isn't as strict as it is on alcohol, as alcohol is brought over the counter."

An other claim drawn out of thin air... Material porn can be bought over the counter.

"Porn can be accessed online, yes there may be magazines but you would require a fake ID to purchase. Online people will lie about their age. You can't consume alcohol through a computer screen but you can access pornography."

I didn't know that Pro speaks for all people... You can buy alcohol online... There's nothing stopping people from buying magazines for minors... You claim that all people would lie. You dropped the argument about how many websites require the user to pay or sign up with a credit card...

"As I have already mentioned some software is manual & on phones there is a way to prevent your parents setting up restrictions by setting a restriction which doesn't affect your internet and setting a password, unless your parents know the password they cannot get into the settings."

I have already provided a solution to this^. This is also an appeal to extremes fallacy. I don't see how this would prove that porn should be banned entirely...

"I meant that parents cannot check their child's history to find out if that have been accessing inappropriate content. The IP address is recorded by the website, this will not inform the site of the age of the viewer."

I am pretty sure that they can set up a firewall, to not allow people from accessing certain sites... There are other ways to snoop on your web browser. Call a technician, they can talk the parents how to do it, and could even set it up for them.

"This is irrelevant. Firstly cars are hard to fix unless you are a mechanic or know exactly what to do and how to do it. "

You should refrain from interpreting analogies literally; they are metaphorical.

"Secondly the internet and smart phones/devices are relatively new, some parents wouldn't have grown up in the society that their children have- as society is forever changing. If a parent isn't technology smart they won't know how."

Pro has completely misunderstood the intentions of the analogy, and completely dodged the part where I said that they can get someone else to do it for them.

"Your puns aren't amusing. Pornography sites are blind to the lies as they trust people will
be honest."

My puns... My puns are dearly hurt by that. You are... You are condemned to 100 years of pornography marathons as punishment...

"fake ID could be used"

What? No. They have to sign a contract - they have to provide sufficient credentials to verify their age. They don't just take their word for it... It would be completely illogical. If you publish child porn, or are caught with possession of child porn, you will get sent to jail. It is not as simple as the person walks up to the counter, and shows them their drivers licence...

"Please tell me the positives of porn."

Not my burden of proof - that's a shifting the burden of proof fallacy... Well, I will just state the obvious priori; people find it pleasurable. They might find that the pleasure outweighs the other effects. They might not even be affected by the assertions that you posted earlier...

You dropped a couple of arguments... And you didn't respond to how I said that you made your burden of proof impossible to achieve. Sorry, but the debate is over.

Over to you, I suppose. Strange request, but can you respond to ^ right at the beginning of your rebuttal? Thanks in advance. You should try implementing puns... I have never heard of the 'pun fallacy', so you are all good to go! Hmmm, maybe it's sloganeering, meh.

None of your arguments deduce that an entire ban is necessary... You even said it yourself! You negated the resolution!

Over to you, Pro! Please don't let the puns get inbetween the argument, they are just there for a bit of 'fizazz' - to 'glitter' the argument, if you must.

Debating.girl

Pro

Debating.girl forfeited this round.
JustinBieberFan123

Con

Unfortunately Pro must be too busy watching porn to respond...

Thanks for the debate Pro! It was fun while it lasted! <------
Debating.girl

Pro

Debating.girl forfeited this round.
JustinBieberFan123

Con

Oh, well, this debate ended a lil' prematurely <-------

Porn puns are best puns.
Posted by JustinBieberFan123 1 year ago
JustinBieberFan123
For porn puns, please read round two.
Vote Placed by Wylted 1 year ago
Wylted
Debating.girlJustinBieberFan123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeits