dr.jimmythefish
SkySky16

positive discrimination?

dr.jimmythefish has forfeited round #5.
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

dr.jimmythefish

Pro

Positive discrimination does exist and is defined as favoring one group over another not necessarily discriminating against the other groups but the group that receives this treatment is favored over all others.
SkySky16

Con

Positive discrimination is just discrimination just as opposite racism is just racism.

Discrimination:
the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

Nowhere in the definition does it say that it is negative, it just says it is the act of treating different categories of people differently. Any discrimination has a benefited party and a harmed party.
dr.jimmythefish

Pro

Positive discrimination is unjust treatment that benefits the discriminated. I understand your point about the definition not saying it's negative, it's doesn't say it's positive either. This term exists to point out that not all discrimination is bad for the discriminated.
SkySky16

Con

As I stated before, any discrimination has a benefited party and a harmed party. All discrimination is inherently bad for the people discriminated against and positive for the group that is held up.
This is what discrimination is by definition, which means positive discrimination is not needed as a term in the way you describe it.
dr.jimmythefish

Pro

The idea is like a person who favors whites but doesn't feel resentment towards blacks. most people think that this is discrimination against blacks I say that is positive discrimination towards whites. Or think of the opists a affirmative action culture, minorities get preference over majorities to make the company seem unbiased.
SkySky16

Con

"The idea is like a person who favors whites but doesn't feel resentment towards blacks. most people think that this is discrimination against blacks I say that is positive discrimination towards whites."

I feel like I have to post the definition.

"the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex."

That is exactly what he is describing. You favor one group so, by definition, you see the other group(s) as inferior.
dr.jimmythefish

Pro

Normally people think of discrimination as being "I hate blacks so white people are better" Positive discrimination is "I love whites so black people are worse" it's a very small difference but a difference all the same.
SkySky16

Con

I didn't say there wasn't a difference, I made the argument that both fall under the definition of discrimination. Which they do.
Making a separate term trivializes people's experiences and devalues their struggle.