private school is better than public school

Private schools are more better than public school with the following point of mine
when i studied in my school i compared with my brother and i saw my classes were smaller and my teacher could give each student more attention and the teacher could move at faster paces when most of us got it. I was ahead in class compared to the other people of my age group in the same year. I was doing more advanced work my books were the latest. On top of all of that in private school i learned more about my religion and i learned a language not offered in public schools.Private schools tend to have teachers with higher qualifications (e.g. holding postgraduate qualifications, published authors in specialist subjects) than public schools. They also have newer and more expensive textbooks, equipment, and furniture. Some of them have quite specialised optional subjects that you normally wouldn't get until you reached university. Some are quite picky in admitting students, so the students may generally be more attentive, toverachieving, etc. And parents willing to send their children to private school almost always care deeply about their children, so you see fewer neglected/abused students.

All of this means that private schools have a better chance of providing a good teaching and learning environment than public schools. But whether or not a particular private school actually is better than public schools will depend a lot on how well they utilise the superior options available to them.

And when it comes to educating a child, no school option, no matter how expensive it is, beats having an encouraging home environment and attentive, patient parents.
My experience is the exact opposite and I have yet to see a private school where the top students out preformed the top students at a comparable public school. I have also seen more unqualified teachers in private school (example: Spanish 4 teacher that just graduated college at 23, never been in front of a classroom given 17 seniors and spends her time crying in the corner).Private School Pros

Private schools focus on specific topics.

Smaller class sizes.

Private schools have better books and supplies.

More access to up-to-date computers.

Most private schools are religious based schools.
Public School Cons

Larger class sizes.

Exposure to unacceptable lifestyles at public schools.

Classes are taught at a mid-learning level, which may cause advanced learners to become bored.

Limited access to learning materials.

More school days-off from school.

Outdated textbooks.
Larger class sizes, really? um the last time I checked all my general education classes in college were in large lecture halls of 200-300 people, maybe im in the wrong class? haha Also all through elementary, middle, and high school all my classes were around 30. Honestly its not that large.

Exposure to unacceptable lifestyles? what? you know thats what the real world is like right? I also know for a fact that being in a private school and having parents that shelter you just makes you rebel and then the child wont want to come to their parents for their mistake that is frowned upon in their eyes.

Mid-level learning? didnt someone say that we need to catch up to other countries? mid-level learning is trying to make it so that we can all be equal. you know the saying "you're only as strong as our weakest link?" well if not you need to learn about it. Also thats why they have a gifted program in the schools.

Limited access to learning materials? well let me straighten that up. In case you havent noticed, our nation is developing around technology, reading books and writing on paper is not helping the child excel, technology is!

More school days-off? Honestly they are the exact same if you count them.

Outdated textbooks. I can sort of agree on that one, but like I said this world is becoming more and more technologically advanced, so...theres really no need for updated textbooks.

The public schools system helps you out in the real world. If all you have is book smarts, thats all you will be. You need to know how to socialize and become more involved in society.
Education is the best legacy we can give to our children, More than half of parents in Nigeria prefer private schools to public schools. Are the private schools really better?
What parameters are your yardstick.
If we consider the staff [teachers] quality i will rate the public schools far higher than the private schools.
If we consider the end product [waec & jamb results] i will still rate the public schools higher, for the best three candidates in both exams WAEC & JAMB, are always from public schools.
What do the private schools that charges up to 300000 Naira per year has to say about this he Issue

Which are better? Private or public schools? How do they compare? It's a question we parents ask often as we consider sending our children to private school.

Any serious discussion of the issue has to consider the following factors:

class size
administrative support

Many public school facilities are impressive; others are mediocre. The same is true of private schools. In the public school system, the twin engines of political support and economic revenue base are critical.

In private schools the ability to attract endowments and other forms of financial support are just as critical. Private school facilities reflect the success of the school's development team and that of the school to continue to generate alumni support. Some private K-12 schools have facilities and amenities which surpass those found at many colleges and universities. Hotchkiss and Andover, for example, have libraries and athletic facilities on a par with those at Brown and Cornell. They also offer academic and sports programs which make full use of all those resources. It is hard to find comparable facilities in the public sector. They are few and far between.

Public schools also reflect the economic realities of their location. Wealthy suburban schools will have more amenities than inner city schools as a rule. Think Greenwich, Connecticut versus Detroit, Michigan, for example. So, who has the edge? Let's call it a draw, all things considered.

Class Size

According to the NCES report Private Schools: A Brief Portrait private schools win out on this issue. Why? Most private schools have small class sizes. One of the key points of private education is individual attention. You need student to teacher ratios of 15:1 or better to achieve that goal of individual attention.

On the other hand a public system has to take almost anyone who lives within its boundaries. In public schools you will generally find much larger class sizes, sometimes exceeding 35-40 students in some inner city schools. At that point teaching rapidly degenerates into babysitting.

Public sector teachers are generally better paid. Naturally compensation varies widely depending on the local economic situation. Put another way, it's cheaper living in Duluth, Minnesota than it is in San Francisco. Unfortunately low starting salaries and small annual salary increases result in low teacher retention in many public school districts. Public sector benefits have historically been excellent; however, health and pension costs have risen so dramatically since 2000 that public educators will be forced to pay or pay more for their benefits.

Private school compensation tends to be somewhat lower than public. Again, much depends on the school and its financial resources. One private school benefit found especially in boarding schools is housing and meals. Private school pension schemes vary widely. Many schools use major pension providers such as TIAA-CREF

Both public and private schools require their teachers to be credentialed. This usually means a degree and a teaching certificate. Private schools tend to hire teachers with advanced degrees in their
thank u all

Like you, I have had my own experiences of both private and public schools. However, it would be wrong of me to conclude in general, that private schools are better than public schools based off my personal experiences of only a few schools. Much of your argument is from your "personal experiences," which is insufficient justification for such a audacious claim. For example you claim that: "My experience is the exact opposite and I have yet to see a private school where the top students out preformed the top students at a comparable public school." Yet in the state of Florida, public schools consistently outperform private schools in state and nationwide math tournaments (Mu Alpha Theta). How do I know? Personal experience of course. From my personal experience, can I conclude that public schools are therefore better at math? No. However, it shows the absurdity of trying to argue such a broad statement with personal experience.

Although you haven't provided any evidence for these claims, you have listed the following in support of your argument.

Private schools have:
1) Smaller class sizes.
2) Better books and supplies.
3) More access to up-to-date computers.
4) More religious affiliation.
5) Better Teachers
6) Less exposure to unacceptable lifestyles.
7) Higher level learning
8) Fewer school days off.

You believe that in these ways private schools are "better" than public schools. Who would not want better books, better supplies, and better teachers? Your argument for private schools disregards the financial needs of each individual family. With the US median family income hovering around 50K/Year, very few can afford to send even a single child to a private school. In this way, it would be financial suicide for a lower income family to send their children to private schools. Therefore, for the majority of American families, private schooling would not be the 'better" option.

Do not mind those shouting "public school", the standard of Education is retrogressing genarally- both private and public schools. I have seen many students failing WAEC, NECO and JAMB, from those high brow schools located in the Lekki axis where you pay school fees in millions of naira. Meanwhile year in year out, the overall best students for these exams almost always comes from public schools.

To me the best schools are the first generation of Public schools, like kings college, Queens college and federal government colleges. Command Secondary Schools are also not bad ( you have to know someone in the military though). Model colleges are just there.

I feel Private schools give a better all round education, that those elite schools where your child will only be exposed to a narrow range of people ( People within the narrow range of class the school provides for). Mind you, it would be unthinkable to send your child to most of the state schools unless you are preparing your child for a career as an "Agbero".

Having said these, the most important aspect of child education is parental education. With a good parental guidance, a child in a moderately good school (private or public) will excel, while a child in British - American College but with no parental guidance will likely perform poorly.
This school costs over $8,000 per year and we are not wealthy. Our four-year-old son also seems gifted and I need to consider offering this to him, too. If there is a clear benefit in the private school, we will find a way for this to happen. How important is this overall?

Is there hard evidence that gifted kids do better in a private school setting when the class size and demographics are similar to those I described? Can you steer me towards any articles that touch on this?
Will I significantly hurt my son if I place him first in the public system, and allow him to change schools in a few years when money is (hopefully) more plentiful?
Is there an optimum age for a gifted child to move to this smaller class structure?
Are there programs that my public school may not be offering us that we may be entitled to now that she has been identified, and how do I go about finding this information?

I want to do what is best for my kids. If there is a clear benefit in the private school we will find a way for this to happen. I just need to know how important this is, overall. Thank you so much for your help and advice.

A: In North Carolina, each district is required to have a plan for gifted education. Your first step is to get a copy of this plan and to read it carefully to see what options can be made available to your daughter and later to your son. Although your child only receives formal services for one hour a week she should be getting additional support through curriculum differentiation in her general education classroom. Ask to meet with her teacher and the gifted specialist to develop a differentiated education plan outlining how her needs will be met in reading and math, and what extended learning opportunities she will receive. Can she work with a class a grade or two ahead? Is there a junior Great Books program for reading enrichment? What computer software is available for her to use? Will the teacher agree to use curriculum compacting to adjust the pace of your child's learning?

Private schools may be an option -- and may be where you end up -- but I would not rush into this decision without exploring how to increase the services offered by the public schools. There is no evidence that gifted children do better in private vs. public schools. They do best when their needs are met, and there is likely more that can be done right now in her current school.If we look at the past, we would find that in the world did not have schools at all or even printed books. History of nations depended on poets, elders, and other "storytellers" so as to save in memory important facts. Until the middle ages, most information was transmitted orally, as there were very few books, also books which existed were written by hand. Furthermore, not everyone can afford such expensive things. Majority of school systems which we can view today first appeared in Europe. Not everyone knows that on the western, the first "system" was the many monasteries that were spread across Europe. Moreover almost of the first schools around the world were based on religion. All of us have seen in history books images of the one-room schoolhouses that were built for children in every community. Thus, more and more communities enacted laws that required children to be in school. So, "compulsory" education was born (Reid, C., n.d.). So, step by step people develop educational system, they always tried to invent something new. Gradually schools divides on two groups, private and public schools. Since that moment a lot of parents got an opportunity to choose type of the school for their children. Nowadays when children reach school age, parents start to think about future and finally they try to find the best education. School it is the first and the main step in children's life. Private or public school? Witch of this two schools should parents choose? Both types of school have advantages and disadvantages, nevertheless, they do not prove the quality of education.
Of course private schools have many benefits which make pupils' life better and easier. In some private schools more comfortable to study than at many colleges and universities. For example, Hotchkiss and Andover have libraries and athletic facilities which are equal with those at Brown and Cornell. They also offer academic and sports programs which make full use of all those resources. It is hard to find comparable facilities in the public sector. They are few and far between. Some public schools have slightly similar resources, namely good libraries and sport facilities, nevertheless, private schools exude. Usually private schools win when we mean the size of classes. One of the key moments of better education is individual attention, because children need pupil to teacher ratios of 15:1. In public schools you will find much larger class sizes, sometimes exceeding 35-40 pupils. At this point teaching quickly degenerates. Actually, private schools prefer hire teachers with advanced degrees in their subject. Or in simple words, when a private school is hiring a Spanish teacher it will want a teacher who has a degree in Spanish language and in literature as well (Kennedy, R., n.d.). One more important aspect is that some parents want their children to have religious education. Public schools cannot give it, because the list of subjects and classes is fixed by the Ministry of Education. Besides, some children want to learn some elective courses, for instance dance, music, art, piano classes, which also are not included in the list of public schools' subjects and classes. Other important issue is laws which are directly connected to children's rights. Unfortunately, not all teachers at public schools know them very well, and they even break them very often. Usually parents expect that all teachers and administrators are already familiar with the regulations, but that is not always true. Many public schools' teachers do not know the laws and will not provide necessary assistance. It is up to parents to learn their child's rights and educate the educators (Harrell, C., 2009). Of course, all of these aspects are integral part and parcel of good educational system. They help pupils to make their educational process simpler, better and more interesting. All parents wish only best things for their children. Therefore, according to these facilities and conveniences, parents' selection can be fixed upon private schools.
Public schools have a lot of advantages, namely lower costs and governmental support. Cost of education in public schools is the main advantage, because it is free. thank u

I am beginning to grasp the extent of your argument. You are arguing that private schools are better than public schools on a world wide basis, which is just too large of a generalization. If you want to choose the best education for your child, you must rely on more specific evaluations of the schools in your area. In every local region, there are a few superior schools, and these schools may be either private or public. It is not necessarily true that private schools are always the rule of thumb choice. It is also not necessarily true that that all private schools give a better all-around education. Again, it all depends on the teachers, the systems, the administration like you mention. Sometimes the good teachers and the good administrators are located in public schools, for not everyone is motivated by a higher paycheck.

Being exposed to a narrow range of people is not necessarily a benefit. A broad range of people represents a broad range of backgrounds, and more opportunity to find people similar to yourself. Intellectuals come from all walks of life, and not all of them had parents who could afford to send them to a private school. Perhaps the differences in class are more pronounced in African countries, but certainly in the United States, belonging in a higher class of people does not correlate with being morally respectable. Many esteemed private institutions attract degenerate, spoiled heirs of large fortunes. Students may often brag about money, status, and extravagance, instead of academic excellence.

Parental education, like you said, is crucial in the upbringing of a child. This is also a new era of learning, where knowledge is now ruling the economy. Simple access to the Internet can provide an individual with a world class education. With massive online learning such as Khan Academy, Coursera, ITunes U, and the seemingly infinite pool of educational videos on Youtube, the Internet empowers everyone with the world's knowledge.

From this entry:

"There are indeed significant effects on student achievement related to reduced class sizes, but the effort itself does not guarantee success without additional attention to teacher quality, increased funding, availability of necessary facilities, and community/district belief in the power of the reform" There are more factors to an education than just class size and demographics. You must also consider the teaching quality ,etc... in addition to all the things that you have mentioned already. There is no conclusive evidence for such specific things, and even if there were evidence that "claimed" a certain age is appropriate, I would still be skeptical.

Here are few more articles:

Again, be careful to not be too broad in your research private and public schools. Colleges and K12 education is significantly different. You have to do research into your local schools, and see what other parents are saying about their schools. Be wary that there is a significant bias when you speak with the parents of children in private schools, for everybody believes things are good when they are paying money for it. Yes, I would definitely recommend speaking to the teachers and the counselors in the schools you are considering. Every school is different, and it is not necessarily that private schools are better. As you grow older, the quality of the students around you affects your education and motivation more and more, and not all great students can afford to go to private schools. Both my brother and I were educated in private schools for our elementary education, and often experienced the same boredom and lackluster education that you are imagining that public schools have. It really depends on teachers and student bodies, and certainly for our state, the highest performing high schools were the public schools.

In the beginning of a child's education, the parent is the most crucial. If you wish your child to excel, then keep encouraging the love of learning. It is more important to love learning at first and get into the habit of exploring. Encourage question asking. Take them to the library. Watch educational documentaries. Most of all, listen to your child. If you choose a private school, and your child is complaining about the teacher, then don't just assume it is the child who doesn't understand. Your children must be comfortable learning in whatever environment, and it is not necessarily that private schools are always better.

In high school and college, it depends more on the child himself to seize his own learning. The quality of a student's education depends mostly on the student's love of learning that hopefully he has built up in his childhood. I know many who only fulfill requirements, get grades, score well, but don't know a single useful thing besides being a successful student. When it comes time to apply their knowledge in the real world, they will fail because they have not truly learned.

Everything depends on where you live! Really examine the potential schools and meet with the teachers or attend their school events. Speak with local parents. In the end, the decision you make should be one specific to your circumstances, not a broad generalization that a certain type of schooling is "better"

Why private school is better than public school?

The question about the best school to send our children to has always been a point of debate. While there is nothing wrong with public schools per say, private schools have some obvious benefits over them. The most serious things to consider about choosing your child"s school is the teaching staff, the facilities, and the class sizes. All of these things contribute to your child"s level of educational success so should be looked at carefully.

Perhaps the most impressive thing about private schools is their class sizes. Many public schools have large classes putting the teacher to student ratio at 20:1 and higher. With this amount of students it is impossible to get individualized attention. Private schools do not have this issue. Typically, there are no more than 15 students in one class, and many times the number is smaller. The small class sizes allow for one on one attention which is shown to improve educational successes. This is the reason many parents have chosen private over public. Another motivation for attending a private school is that the number of students in the entire school is also much less than in public schools. Generally, a private school will have less than 500 students at one time. This allows the children to shine. They can have better social connections and they will not get lost among a sea of unknown faces. These things all go a long way in a child"s personal development as they will emerge from private school ready to go on to face the challenges life has in store for them.

Another reason many parents chose a privatized education for their children is the highly qualified teaching staff in the schools. Those who teach in private schools have, at the very least, a degree in their specific area of teaching. Most also have masters degrees. Each teacher is hired based upon their education, experience and passion for the subject they teach. References are thoroughly checked and the teacher must go through a review board to have their teaching methods scrutinized. In addition to the high hiring standards, private school teachers have more of an opportunity to actually teach because they are not in a class with 20+ children having to act as a babysitter/police officer. Discipline is rarely an issue at private schools and this is another plus.

Private schools get their funding from many places. Due to the high amount of donations that come in they are able to provide their students with top notch facilities. This means that children will get more opportunities than they would in public school. A private school offers more activities that are never an option at public school, such as fencing, horseback riding and rowing. There are many groups to join that are headed by quality professionals. The libraries are outstanding and this is especially beneficial for the children.

Finally, when a child attends public school they may be bullied or treated badly by their peers if they are in honors classes, get good grades or like to study. However, the kids in private school know that it is cool to be smart! This is why they are there in the first place. Private school is a fantastic place for children to stretch their limits and become the person they were meant to be. There are no limits and no one to tell them that they are "nerds" for getting straight A"s. For all of these reasons, private school is a more exceptional choice for your children.
than u all

I agree with you on the point: The most serious things to consider about choosing your child"s school is the teaching staff, the facilities, and the class sizes. All of these things contribute to your child"s level of educational success so should be looked at carefully.

Part. 1, Smaller class sizes.

I will not contend the fact that private schools have smaller class sizes. This is due to the simple reason that fewer people are willing to pay a substantial amount of money to attend a private institution. If everyone wished to pay a large tuition, then private schools would have a larger class size and face the same issues as public schools. According to the Huffington post, the percentage of students attending private schools in America is 10% and declining ( If private schooling was truly better than public schooling, then why isn't everyone making that choice? The obvious answer is money, and that the families cannot afford it. In that case, in what way is choosing to attend private school a better option than public school? I have shown that even if you prove that private schools are inherently better than public schools worldwide, which by itself is a preposterous general claim, it is still not the better choice for the majority of Americans.

You mention again the smaller population attending private schools. I am getting more and more lost by the scale you are arguing. You say that "Generally, a private school will have less than 500 students at one time." But this fact is completely not true. Are you referring to colleges? Are you referring to K12 private schools? Just like any other type of schooling there are bigger schools that have students in the thousands, and then there are smaller schools. Private colleges have signifincantly more than 500 students.

You also mention that a smaller population allows your children allows your children to shine. Your child should shine because he is of good quality, not because there are fewer people around to compare him with. Sheltering children from the larger world does not prepare him to "face the challenges life has in store of them." If anything, it leads to a false sense of entitlement.

Just as I was about to go on and continue, I realized that I am not debating with an actual human being, but a plagiarist. You just directly copied your arguments from this website:

You didn't even read what I wrote nor attempted to respond. This is a violation of even the most basic courtesy in debate. I'm sorry for having been fooled.
Posted by caizen 3 years ago
My opponent was a plagiarist who didn't even read my arguments, let alone respond.
Posted by caizen 3 years ago
I think you meant to be pro? hahaha
Posted by aabdul 3 years ago
Private school win the debate i vote for that
Vote Placed by gt4o2007 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con had very few good arguments and when he did Pro was able to knock them down.