dairygirl4u2c
iamanatheistandthisiswhy

prochoice folks should agree: a fetus born during botched abortion should be finished off

iamanatheistandthisiswhy

dairygirl4u2c

Pro

what does the specific location inside of or outside of the womb matter? what signnificance is a few inches? the people who were suppose to terminate the fetus is now suppose to suddenly rush to saving it? how inconsistent is that. there was merely a technical malfunction. just finish the job.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy

Con

I accept this challenge.

I am sure my opponent and I can agree on the term abortion as given below.
Abortion: a medical procedure used to end a pregnancy and cause the death of the fetus.(1)

As such a fetus cannot be born, as an abortion is the termination of a pregnancy.

Further, all the so called babies born after "botched abortions" are babies that were carried to term after an attempted abortion did not work. Unsurprisingly, like any medical procedure, abortions do not work all the time. So botched abortion is a fallacy, as it does not mean the baby was born during the abortion.

I hand the debate back to my opponent.

(1) http://www.merriam-webster.com...
dairygirl4u2c

Pro

it looks like con is merely trying to get into a semantics debate.he's not able to debate on the actual issues at hand, so chooses to go off on a tangent.

i choose not to dignify his rhetoric by engaging in it.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy

Con

I am not sure how to proceed with this debate from this point in.

I pointed out all the flaws with Pros arguments, and now my opponent refuses to engage me.

I will instead use this time to elaborate on the "botched abortion" claim and hope my opponent engages me.

If an abortion does not work, then the person in question has the choice to attempt the abortion again which happens in many cases. The other option is to carry the fetus to term and give birth. In either case the person has a choice. People make choices all the time so this should not be surprising to anyone that sometimes a person may change their mind on the idea on abortion.

Let me elaborate with an analogy. Chemotherapy is an extremely dangerous and painful cure for cancer. Most people with Cancer will attempt chemotherapy. However, if it does not work after a treatment (or two) many people will stop due to the negative side effects. It does not mean they choose to dies, it just means they don't want the treatment. In the same way if an abortion does not work a person may decide not to try again.

I hand the debate back to my opponent.
dairygirl4u2c

Pro

my opponent's arguments seems to be all over the place. instead of trying to reign em all in and respond to em, especially the ones that invovolve semantics, i'll just leave it to the voters. no point wasting my time, pencil pushin.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy

Con

My opponent in this debate has presented zero arguments.

I have pointed out the flaws in my opponents argument and have received zero rebuttals.

I now hand the debate over to the voters.
Posted by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 2 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
I think you need to give some type of example here. I would be interested in this debate but the proposition seems vague and am not interested in a semantics vote.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
dairygirl4u2ciamanatheistandthisiswhyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Con. Pro completely dropped the debate after R1. A lack of willingness to participate, regardless of the issue, is never appropriate conduct for a debate, especially when it is behavior coming from the instigator. S & G - Con. Pro made several obvious spelling and grammatical errors in every round of this debate. Arguments - Con. Pro failed to present any form of arguments related to the debate topic after Round 1. With the lack of proper rebuttals and no real arguments, it's clear that Con should be awarded these points. Con not only presented arguments that the Pro would have needed to overcome to uphold the BOP as instigator, but also continued to debate even after the clear unwillingness to participate by Pro. Con's arguments remained standing unchallenged by the end of the debate. Sources - Tie. I was going to give this to Con as well, but considering it was only a source for a definition, I decided against it. Good job Con.
Vote Placed by voxprojectus 2 years ago
voxprojectus
Reasons for voting decision: Dairy Girl raises an interesting question then refuses to engage on it. Poor conduct and non-existent arguments by her make this a clear win for Con.
Vote Placed by Envisage 2 years ago
Envisage
Reasons for voting decision: Well Pro actually did present a (badly written) argument. But the objection regarding what a botched abortion actually is (it was news to me) and also alternative options which seemed to make perfect sense went unaddressed. Argus Con and S&G (very justifiably) to Con
Vote Placed by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
Reasons for voting decision: Did Pro properly identify the topic or did Con correctly point out errors in the question? Pro is attempting to argue that a child may be born alive while the abortionist is attempting to carry out the procedure: "...born during botched abortion...". She makes one argument in the first round "what does the specific location inside of or outside of the womb matter". She makes a valid argument that if you were in the process of trying to kill the fetus in the womb that you shouldn't have to try to save it if it pops out alive. Con attempts to use semantics to change the debate. However, I find that the resolution and opening arguments are sufficient to sustain Pro. Con seemed to only consider a botched abortion to be one where the procedure was attempted, but failed and could be tried again later. Considering that he was the one trying to use semantics to establish this as fact I do not find that he fully established the semantic argument he was trying to make. Argument Pro