Shoj-Nothang
ScarletAtheist

prostitusion is morrally wrong

Shoj-Nothang

Shoj-Nothang

Con

Prostitution is wrong because it is fornication; all fornication is bad because it destroys society but especially prostitution. Prostitution is a degrading profession; women who get into it are extremely unlikely to get out. Prostitutes in movies are seen as sweet women who only need the right guy to pull them out of the mess they are in but as stated in Modus Operandi this is not the behavior of prostitutes. As I stated before fornication has a negative effect on society. In the 60s divorce rates went up so did teen pregnancy and teen suicide. How do I link these to prostitution? I will explain, when someone has sex outside of marriage studies show increases the likelihood that they will get a divorce, those who use prostitutes either are married or in all likelihood will be married in the future (unless you live in Europe where society has decreased so much many people do not feel the need to get married anymore, oh and guess what? Prostitution is legal there). Teen suicide increased because when a family separates it is very emotionally challenging for the children in that family to handle. Teen pregnancy increased because when parents are having sex with multiple partners the influence rubs off on the children who will raise children who will most likely have a child out of wedlock as well, thereby the decline society. But what proof do I have that all this is linked to fornication, well it is simple reasoning all these increase in statistics all happened in the 60s know what else happened in the 60s, the sexual revolution thereby the destruction of society. I have had people tell me that fornication isn't the same as prostitution, yet the only difference they have given me is that one person gets paid and the other doesn't; that doesn't seem like a very big difference to me. Also people say well people going to do it anyway, why not just legalize it so the country can profit? Well people are going to keep murdering each other why not legalize contract killing?
ScarletAtheist

Pro

Okay, to start off with my argument I would like to first address the proposition: prostitution is immoral. I personally do not understand how prostitution is immoral. My opponent states prostitution is wrong because it is fornication. He then goes on to say all fornication is wrong and it destroys society. Fornication is sexual intercourse between people not married to each other. I am assuming sex before marriage is held as wrong in the eyes of my opponent, but I would like him to explain why: what exactly is immoral about having sex without being married? Sex before marriage, if handled intelligently, does not result in anything harmful to either party involved. This is the key to finding if something is immoral: if the people involved are of age and both consent to having sexual activities together, that is their choice, and is not itself wrong. Therefore adding payment to a sexual, consensual agreement, is not immoral.

ScarletAtheist
Shoj-Nothang

Con

My opponent states sex before marriage is not wrong is handled intelligently has no harmful effects; a study done by the University of North Carolina at Greensboro states "These trends are troubling to some because nearly a dozen studies from the 1970s into the early 2000s showed that men and women who lived together before marriage were far more likely to divorce than couples who moved directly from dating to marriage." Dr. Bill Maier in his article Is Living Together A Good Test for Marital Compatibility? says, Research indicates that couples who cohabit before marriage have a 50% higher divorce rate than those who don't. You can go to www.divorcereform.org/psy.html to see all the negative effects divorce has on children. You may say but what right do you have to stop people who are of age and both consent to having sex, well what right do the police have to stop people from using heroine? And please don't tell me heroine does not have a negative effect on society. On WomansLaws.org it says, Prostituted women are often victims of intimate partner violence by pimps and customers, often called "johns." The methods of control that pimps and johns use are similar to the methods used by abusers. Prostitution is unhealthy there may be condoms but that is no guaranty it will not come off during the heat of sexual intercourse and that you will not get or pass on a sexually transmitted diseases. So if premarital sex is wrong because it destroys society then prostitution is wrong.
ScarletAtheist

Pro

ScarletAtheist forfeited this round.
Shoj-Nothang

Con

Since ScarletAtheist has forfeited the last round I will just bring up more points to why prostitution is wrong. When a society does not hold sexual intimacy in high regard it devalues the specialness or even sacredness of the sexual relationship between husband and wife.
"Marriage and divorce are both common experiences. In Western cultures, more than 90 percent of people marry by age 50. Healthy marriages are good for couples" mental and physical health. They are also good for children; growing up in a happy home protects children from mental, physical, educational and social problems. However, about 40 to 50 percent of married couples in the United States divorce. The divorce rate for subsequent marriages is even higher."1
It is not moral to defraud someone prostitution is defrauding women, giving people money for momentary pleasure and short term gain not looking at the long term affects of harm to there physical and psychological health.
"She said: "Prostitution is an extremely dangerous thing to do. It involves violence and abuse, and fundamentally effects the woman or child who is prostituted.
"With the hazards that prostitutes have to face daily, I would be extremely shocked if anybody who was involved for any period of time did not show signs of stress disorder." 2
The prostitute is defrauding the person who uses them as well getting them to pay them so that the person can have short term happiness. If a man uses a prostitute ten times in his life and then finds the woman he wants to marry should he tell her? Some might say no, what happened in his single life was his own business but I say this what would happen if he marries her and she finds out how will she feel? She would feel angry and betrayed. If it is not morally wrong to use a prostitute then why would she feel this way.

1 American Psychological Association
2 BBC News http://news.bbc.co.uk...
ScarletAtheist

Pro

ScarletAtheist forfeited this round.
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
con;
You have shown us that you do not like divorce, violence against women, heroine use or sexually transmitted diseases. Although these symptoms exist in our society and a prostitute may be a victim of them, prostitution is not the cause.
You still have not proven that sex between consenting adults is immoral.
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
wtf...con is helping pro???
Posted by Rain_Was_Here 2 years ago
Rain_Was_Here
Con,
There are a lot of assumptions and associations made in your argument that would require some serious evidence and sounder logic for me to even begin to take you seriously.
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
con
Being uncomfortable about a particular aspect of human sexuality does not make it immoral. You need to define a bases for your moral standard that is not subjective.
An argument based on opinion and hearsay is generally considered very weak evidence if it is considered evidence at all.
Posted by AbandonedSpring 2 years ago
AbandonedSpring
You said you were con "prostitution is wrong", therefor you are pro prostitution, yet you argued against it
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Shoj-NothangScarletAtheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture