mvpbob
MontyKarl91

ps3 is better than the xbox

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

mvpbob

Pro

everyone knows its true
MontyKarl91

Con

Ah, my opponent has chosen a very nuanced issue to debate. However, he unfortunately chose an argument he cannot win. While the PS3 is certainly hyped up, I hope to prove to everyone that the XBOX 360 is the superior console. At a considerably lower price, the XBOX 360 still has better graphics, a greater game variety, greater online capabilities, and even overall console performance.

I'm taking this debate in the hope that we have a wonderful discussion. Good luck to my opponent.
mvpbob

Pro

Better game variety my a**. All you have is Halo and Alan Wake. We have littlebigplanet, killzone, uncharted, infamous, and god of war. it is cheaper but if you get online, it will cost much more. And the ps3 has better graphics. HAVE YOU SEEN GOD OF WAR. You can't beat God of War graphics. On a final note, Halo is overrated and red ring of death.
MontyKarl91

Con

Sorry, I wasn't able to answer very quickly, my mother got into a car crash on Monday. And I've been distracted by that. But don't worry, I'm still writing a retort.

Ok, you first claim that the PS3 offers better graphics. However, I think you will see that that is simply not the case. Because of Playstation's very complex hard drive, many developers find it incredibly difficult to design games for. This is not simply opinion, it is fact. Sony Computer Entertainment's CEO Kaz Hirai recently stated that it was intentionally made hard to design games for in an effort to drive Microsoft out of business. Several developers have also claimed this. This can be verified at the following link. http://news.cnet.com... However, while it sounds like an intelligent idea, it actually is not. You see, if developers were to utilize the PS3's power, it would most likely destroy XBOX sales. That would cut most developer's profits in half. They would never want that, so they have and will continue using the same capabilities for both systems. If you would really want to become nit-picky about details, the PS3 does have very slightly sharper textures while the XBOX uses better lighting. Please take a minute to look at a comparison of these graphics on gamespot. http://www.gamespot.com...

I am going to ignore your statement about Halo and God of War. They are both simply opinions and have no place in an educated debate.

Why don't we discuss the online capabilities of both systems since you brought them up. First of all, yes, the playstation network is indeed free while XBOX live costs $40 a year. However, considering the $200+ difference between original prices, you would have to have both systems for 5 years before they even became the same price. Now, for the XBOX Live cost, you get a number of nice bonuses. The first advantage XBOX live has over the PS3 is Windows Live Messaging. This allows gamers to have discussions with their friends even while they are all playing their own games or watching their own movies. Microsoft is also developing ways for gamers to log into Facebook, Twitter, Zune Marketplace, Music Store, and Last.fm. They also have the famous XBOX Live Marketplace, where users can purchase games, movies, or music from their console. Add in the inclusion of the movie deal Netflix, and it becomes obvious which has greater online capabilities. Because Microsoft charges that fee, they are able to keep cheating and hacking under much closer surveillance than Sony. Perfect evidence of this is the mass hack that allowed pirates to obtain all data from over 70,000 PS3 users data, including credit card numbers. To me, the better security and capabilities make the XBOX Live worth that additional fee.
http://www.theconsolewars.net...

Now, let us examine the gaming libraries of both consoles. You are aware that God of War is available on the XBOX as well, aren't you? I don't see why you discuss that game so much when it is available on both consoles. Since the majority of gaming options are available on both consoles, let's examine the exclusive games for each console. The PS3 The PS3 offers 127 exclusive game titles. That is indeed an impressive number, combined with their collection of games rated higher than 90 on reviewing websites. Those games include: LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Killzone 2, and MLB 09: The Show. While those are great games, I am afraid the XBOX far outshines them. XBOX currently has 433 exclusive games, with 90+ score games being: Gears of War, Halo 3, Braid, Gears of War 2, Guitar Hero II, Mass Effect, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned, Portal: Still Alive, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2, and Forza Motorsport 2. Combine this greater pool of games with the famous xbox live arcade (which contains highly rated games such as Castle Crashers and Shadow Complex), its clear who has the better game library. Indeed, unless you love Metal Gear or baseball, there is nothing the PS3 offers that the XBOX does not offer a better version of.

Finally, let me explain why the XBOX has better console performance.

1.) XBOX is a faster running console

"[The PS3 is] great for watching movies, but not so great for games. Getting data off the Blu-ray drive takes about twice as long as it does to get the same data off the 360's DVD drive. That translates into longer load times, or god forbid if you're streaming from disk, tighter constraints on the amount of data you can stream. For instance, in Resistance: Fall of Man, every art asset is stored on disk once for every level that uses it. So rather than storing one copy of a texture, you're storing it 12 times. If you took that entire game and removed all the duplicate data, it would likely fit on a DVD without any problem" -Jason Booth, CEO of Turbine and Harmonix

http://www.examiner.com...

2.) Blue Ray is a poor choice of discs

Sony chose to put their games and movies on Blue Ray because they felt it was the future of gaming. However, it is not. Rather, everything is moving in the direction of flash drives and instant downloading. This, in addition to users having to replace their entire DVD libraries to watch movies on the PS3, really shows that it is a pointless addition.

3.) XBOX has greater raw power than the PS3

I do not know how much you really know about technical jargon, so I will give a basic explanation. Please know that I don't intend this as an insult. People are good at different things, and for many walks of life, technology and its language is not important.

"The fill rate on the PS3 is significantly slower than on the 360, meaning that games either have to run at lower resolution or use simpler shader effects to achieve the same performance, Additionally, the shader processing on the PS3 is significantly slower than on the 360, which means that a normal map takes more fill rate to draw on the PS3 than it does on the 360. And I'm not talking about small differences here, we're talking roughly half the pixel pushing power." -Jason Booth (who of course develops games for both systems including Rock Band and Guitar Hero)

The XBOX has 278.4 GB/s of memory system bandwidth compared to the PS3's 48 GB/s. Memory System bandwidth is needed to run more complex graphics. This proves that the XBOX has a stronger hard drive as well as greater capability for graphics.

Finally, let me discuss the "red ring of death" you mentioned. That is indeed a problem in the system, however, Microsoft has done their part to fix it. The red ring of death is due to a simple overheat in the system. This does not affect Elites, only regular XBOXes. These are covered by a far reaching warranty. Last year, my xbox got the red ring of death. I informed Microsoft, and they immediately sent out a box for me to send my console to them at their cost. They were unable to fix it, so they gave me an elite instead. I was also given 2 cards for a year long XBOX Live Gold Membership. It sounds like very good service to me.

I hope you can see that the XBOX is actually the greater console owned by the better company. While the PS3 is a fine system, its designers have tried to hard and made their system impossible to design for which costs it in overall quality. It is still good and better than the Wii, but I am afraid that the XBOX is far superior.
mvpbob

Pro

First off, God of War is PS3/PSP only, so you must be high. Second, it cost $50 dollars a year. Third there is a $100 price gap. And the games you mentioned like Mass Effect, Guitar Hero, Grand Theft Auto, portal 2, Tom Clancy, Forza are for both consoles. The only reason people use the xbox is because when the two consoles first came out, xbox was $200-$300 cheaper. Now I see more people buying a PS3 than a xbox.
On a Final Note, I know people with both consoles and all of them, I repeat, 100% of them prefer the PS3.
It seems like you don't know what your talking about unless you google it. So next time choose something you know.
MontyKarl91

Con

Cory Barog, the CEO of the developer, just signed a deal with Microsoft to produce the new God of War for XBOX. So perhaps you should actually do some research. I did not mention those certain games, perhaps you should have read it closer. Guitar Hero 2, Portal 1, Forza Motorsport 2. Every game I listed is only available for the XBOX.

XBOX sales figures are still higher than PS3. It is irrelevant what you think you "see". Both corporations are public companies and must publish their sales figures. It is available for anyone who wants to view it. The same goes with your friends. You could a group of Neo-Nazis. Their personal opinions do not make them right, and neither do your friends.

I could add more examples of the XBOX's superiority, but since you did not bother to refute any of the previous ones and did not try to use information other than personal opinion, I hardly think I need to.

Thank you for this debate. I'm sorry that you had to resort to personal attacks rather than intellect to defend your point of view. But, it was still a lot of fun. I wish you luck in the future on this site.
Posted by TesterPot 6 years ago
TesterPot
Cons arguments are utter crap, but at least he's making the effort. Unlike Pro.
Posted by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
Pro is actually making a coherent argument, good job man.
Vote Placed by askbob 6 years ago
askbob
mvpbobMontyKarl91Tied
Reasons for voting decision: tying up fail debate
Vote Placed by BillBonJovi 6 years ago
BillBonJovi
mvpbobMontyKarl91Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not debate at all
Vote Placed by TrenchMouth 6 years ago
TrenchMouth
mvpbobMontyKarl91Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con won hands down....
Vote Placed by Dawg_Face 6 years ago
Dawg_Face
mvpbobMontyKarl91Tied
Reasons for voting decision: XBOX load time = 15 seconds tops... PS3 load time = Who waits that long? Montykarl91 gave the better argument IMO.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
mvpbobMontyKarl91Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Clear win, but one point to Pro as he finally made an argument.