Megzayboo
Freeman

psychic ability does exsist but its not how its percepted

Megzayboo

Pro

Psychic energy, or "psi" is the transfer of information or energy that cannot be explained by a physical process. People who can do this consciously are called psychics. But does it really exist? Many don't think so - either because they've never experienced it themselves, or because they've heard about or had personal experience with one of the great number of fake psychics making money off believers.

For example, psychic energy has often been linked to meditation, hypnosis, drug use and especially dreaming. These altered states of consciousness, whether self-induced or naturally-occurring, have been the conduit for psychic experiences by individuals who did not consider themselves psychics - or think they had any such ability.
Freeman

Con

Until my opponent can provide some evidence in favor of her ridiculous beliefs the resolution will remain negated.

All the best,
Freeman
Megzayboo

Pro

Thanks for challenging me to this Debate.

Firstly and foremost i didnt need to go into complex detail, If you cant see already There is three rounds and so I could of elaborated more then.

Psychic ability?
How does one define it, ? Is a multipication of different types of psychic abilitys

Automatic Writing - Writing through the subconscious mind without conscious thought, or through the guidance of an outside intelligence.

Channeling - Associated with mediums, this is the ability to act as a channel or vessel for an outside intelligence.

Clairaudience - Put simply, this type of ability is used to hear what is "inaudible". For example, someone with this ability could be a thousand miles way and "hear" a loved one's cry of distress.

Clairvoyance - Usually confused with Precognition, this ability actually has much more in common with "Remote Viewing", True clairvoyance is not the abilitly to see into the future, but the psychic ability to see visions of that which is hidden or far away.

Clairsentience - In this instance the psychic has an insight or "knowing" of and a hidden or forgotten fact.

Divination - A broad term that includes fortune telling, precognition, prophesy, and other methods used in an effort to predict the future.

Dowsing - Also known as "water witching", dowsing involves the use of a rod, sticks, or pendulum to locate water or lost objects.

Empathy - The talent to sense the needs, drives, and emotions of another. As with Aura Reading, psychic ability can often reveal itself through the development of empathy.

E.S.P. - Extra Sensory Perception is the awareness of information about events external to the psychic that are not gained through the senses and not deducible from previous experience. Often used to describe clairvoyance, precognition, telepathy, etc...

Intuition - Similar to clairsentience, this is the power or faculty of attaining direct knowledge or cognition without rational thought or inference.

Levitation - The ability to cause one's body to hover off the ground. One of the more well-documented cases of levitation involved St. Theresa of Avila during the 16th century.

Mind Over Body - Suppressing or mentally satisfying the need for water, food, or sleep. There is some debate over whether this is actually a psychic ability since many of those who are associated with this trait (monks, yogis, mystics, etc...) are not generally called "psychics".

Precognition - Quite simply, "knowing the future". However, since time is a dynamic construct, no one psychic can ever know every detail about the future. Usually this ability refers to knowing general outcomes of specific courses of action, with occasional flashes of detailed insight.

As you can see most of the chareteristics in these involve mind control, A recent study shown that people have a higher Tolerance level and can use various mind conducts that can produce such prenornal tasks

In the 1930s a set of psi testing methods were developed at Duke University. These consisted of a repetitive procedure in which the subject attempted to determine a target symbol from a set of alternatives. The percentage of time the subject was correct determined the amount of psychic ability he or she had. However, these types of tests failed to capture the types of psi that have been reported in everyday life.

This immiediate study proved to be that psychic ability was not a " paranrmal" but that with different types of people they have higher substances which can make them do such things .

So how do we percept psychic ability?

<>

Mainly we relate to psychic ability with people who we would counter as " gifted" Though many people have achieved to define psychics ability as " the power of initutive" and that people who claim to be psychic by looking through a crystal ball.

So to conclude this my stance on this still stands as Psychic ability is explainable , and that it only occurs with people who have more strenth in the included five senses, Furthermore i would like my opponent to elaborate his view on psychic ability.
Freeman

Con

Let me begin by thanking Megzayboo for starting this debate.

My opponent's last round was nothing short of hilarious. It contained no sources, zero evidence, and baseless assertions. Without extraordinary evidence to back up my antagonists claims a simple hand wave is all thats required to negate this resolution.

--> "Furthermore i would like my opponent to elaborate his view on psychic ability."

I regard psychic ability the same way I regard all other pseudoscientific nonsense. I'm more than willing to change my mind on this subject; I just need some amazing evidence.

All the best,
Freeman
Megzayboo

Pro

My last arguement contained assertions, proven evidence as written

If my opponent was able to anaylse what I wrote he would of seen this.
My opponent rather than defending his behalf and elaborating on why he is con for this, Is ridiculing my arguement...

You just stated this psychic ability is nonsense
Yet he has not stated an explanation or statment into why, Obviously my opponent is not adament on this subject if hes willing to " change his mind" If i provided more evidence.

I have provided you with sources anyway to relate to my previous arguement ^^
Thanks

http://sandersthegreat.co.uk...
http://www.expert-advice-online.com...
Freeman

Con

My opponent has a burden to show that psychic ability exists. She has failed this task in one of the most spectacular ways imaginable. It's amazingly ironic that you would use articles on Derren Brown as your supposed "evidence" to back up your claims, because Derren Brown is one of the most die-hard skeptics in the world. If you didn't know that then I'm afraid you don't very much about him. If you don't believe me then watch Richard Dawkins interview him on youtube.

Let me end this debate by quoting an author whom I admire, "Whatever can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."- Christopher Hitchens

-Vote Con and stay rational :)

All the best,
Freeman
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
If someone understood what Pro was arguing, please explain it to me. What was the psychic ability that Pro claimed existed, and what was the evidence presented supporting the existence of that ability? I think Pro won conduct, for reasons everyone seems to give, but I don't see how a single point could be earned for the logic or references. It is as if the claim were made that "true magic exists" and then the list "pulling a rabbit out of hat," "sawing a lady in half," " finding the card selected," "escaping from handcuffs," etc. were offered as evidence. There was no evidence, only detailed unsupported assertions. What are people thinking?
Posted by Freeman 7 years ago
Freeman
"Let's say that you painted a painting, and you felt that you did a good job on your painting. Then a guy comes up and calls your painting ugly. Would you or would you not feel offended?"

You know what, I never thought of it that way. I can see your point and I concede the argument. (your argument) not Megzayboo's
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
"My opponent's last round was nothing short of hilarious."

Let's say that you painted a painting, and you felt that you did a good job on your painting. Then a guy comes up and calls your painting ugly. Would you or would you not feel offended?
Posted by Freeman 7 years ago
Freeman
Come to think you're probably right there is something rather ironic about the way I debate. Hmmm.... at least I can get better.
Posted by Freeman 7 years ago
Freeman
"Freeman, you've always seemed like a contradiction to me. You thank your opponent, then proceed to insult their arguments, only to finish with "All the best."

I don't consider the idea of an 'insulted argument' to be legitimate concept. Arguments don't have feelings and therefore cannot be insulted.

I finish with "All the best" or "Best" because I actually mean that.
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
Freeman, you've always seemed like a contradiction to me. You thank your opponent, then proceed to insult their arguments, only to finish with "All the best."
Posted by Freeman 7 years ago
Freeman
This is incredible. I'm almost tied with someone that plagiarized the bulk of their argument word for word. And from a terrible source no less.

"Psychic energy, or "psi" is the transfer of information or energy that cannot be explained by a physical process. People who can do this consciously are called psychics. But does it really exist? Many don't think so - either because they've never experienced it themselves, or because they've heard about or had personal experience with one of the great number of fake psychics making money off believers.

For example, psychic energy has often been linked to meditation, hypnosis, drug use and especially dreaming. These altered states of consciousness, whether self-induced or naturally-occurring, have been the conduit for psychic experiences by individuals who did not consider themselves psychics - or think they had any such ability."

http://ezinearticles.com...
Posted by louisTHEgreat 7 years ago
louisTHEgreat
Cons conduct was poor, His explanations were immature and not to a standard
and he didnt take note of Pros arguements, His overall immend on the arguement was based on personal attacks rather than an arguement, Plus it didnt make sense

If i could vote id vote for ( megzay boo ) Pro

She was able to Conduct her arguements illustrate her views and provided sources and explanations
I dont understand why con is winning at this point :s
Posted by Freeman 7 years ago
Freeman
"Con, It's bad form to call a ridiculous belief ridiculous. Doing so is questionable conduct, because it attacks the opponent rather than the specific arguments made by the opponent."

Ok Roy, I wont do it again.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
Pro, A resolution must both be comprehensible and be supported by arguments, otherwise it fails even if Con says nothing. I could not understand exactly what you were climing to be true pyschic ability, and I didn't find any credible evidence to support the existence of any psychic ability. Credible evidence would be favorable test results from an observer with good aility to judge and no predisposition to believe.

Con, It's bad form to call a ridiculous belief ridiculous. Doing so is questionable conduct, because it attacks the opponent rather than the specific arguments made by the opponent. Also, it moves the debate away from the topic. Not required, but it would be best if you explained Pro's burden of proof, what was unclear, and what you would accept as evidence.
Vote Placed by HeyWheresMyName 7 years ago
HeyWheresMyName
MegzaybooFreemanTied
Vote Placed by tmhustler 7 years ago
tmhustler
MegzaybooFreemanTied
Vote Placed by wonderwoman 7 years ago
wonderwoman
MegzaybooFreemanTied
Vote Placed by I_am_Einstein 7 years ago
I_am_Einstein
MegzaybooFreemanTied
Vote Placed by philosphical 7 years ago
philosphical
MegzaybooFreemanTied
Vote Placed by tBoonePickens 7 years ago
tBoonePickens
MegzaybooFreemanTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
MegzaybooFreemanTied
Vote Placed by Gilgameshdg 7 years ago
Gilgameshdg
MegzaybooFreemanTied
Vote Placed by atheistman 7 years ago
atheistman
MegzaybooFreemanTied
Vote Placed by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
MegzaybooFreemanTied