yyyyyy
whatledge

psychology

yyyyyy

Pro

People who want to join the police need psychological testing to find out why.
whatledge

Con

This is an interesting topic. I thank my opponent for granting me this opportunity.

I disagree that "People who want to join the police need psychological testing to find out why."

I would first like to see pro's reasons for why people who wish to join the police "need" psychological testings.
yyyyyy

Pro

well due to time reasons I cant find and post the links i've seen here but it seems to me what the media and movies portray about the police and the reality of life are two very different things. Also personal and professional experiences have made me wonder. In the uk, since the Guilford four to the present day, and with the target driven environment that the Labour government introduced which made things worse apparantley, it seems the police have not really been interested in getting the baddy for right to be done, but would get anyone, even if that means framing them, knowing they have the wrong person but just to get someone for the crime committed. Then I read about police corruption and it seems everyone in power closed ranks when this is talked about, its almost taboo. Too much is put on the police for them to be examined in any proper way. Apparantley its rife. I talked to a solicitor and it was disturbing what he said. I wont repeat it here. It takes one to catch one. Then I read about careers psychopaths are found in, and alot of them gravitate towards the police force, for authority and power and ego reasons. Then I thought, you know what kind of person becomes a policeman? I watched a few videos on youtube and read a bit, and it seems they arent very nice people, not the type you would want to invite round for afternoon tea. Their attitude stinks and in a number of surveys a large proportion of the public dont actually like or trust them. So why are they not policed more themselves and examined more, motivations etc.. especially as they are now so powerful, in this country at least..
whatledge

Con

"it seems the police have not really been interested in getting the baddy for right to be done, but would get anyone, even if that means framing them, knowing they have the wrong person but just to get someone for the crime committed."

Not every policemen are corrupt. Also my opponent has yet to explain how a psychological test would alleviate matters.

"Too much is put on the police for them to be examined in any proper way."

Too much of what, is put on the police for them to be examined in a proper way?

"Then I read about careers psychopaths are found in, and alot of them gravitate towards the police force, for authority and power and ego reasons."

Not all policemen are psychopaths. And how a psychological test will differentiate psychopaths from non-psychopaths, my opponent does not explain. Furthermore, psychological testing is already a requirement in many police academies.
http://education-portal.com...

"Then I thought, you know what kind of person becomes a policeman? I watched a few videos on youtube and read a bit, and it seems they arent very nice people, not the type you would want to invite round for afternoon tea."

There are good cops, and bad cops. There are good people, and bad people. Not all policemen are evil. I saw a police officer helping someone start their car in the blistering rain a few days ago. Many policemen are kind-hearted, and very much people, who I would invite for an afternoon cup of tea.

"Their attitude stinks and in a number of surveys a large proportion of the public dont actually like or trust them."

As stated above not all policemen have poor attitudes. Whether or not the public does not like or trust the hired officers, is not the issue. As long as the policemen do their jobs, and enforce the law, there is no problem. Again, I do not see how a psychological testing will alleviate matters.

"So why are they not policed more themselves and examined more, motivations etc.. especially as they are now so powerful, in this country at least.. "

The newly recruits are polygraphed before being hired. Their motivations will be questioned among many other things. I believe the polygraph, while not 100% accurate, is a more sufficient way than a psychological test.
http://www.policetest.info...

Policemen do not NEED to be psychologically tested, though many of them already are. I ask that my opponent explain how a psychological test will help any of the problems he had mentioned, in the next round.
yyyyyy

Pro

yyyyyy forfeited this round.
Posted by Chronos 4 years ago
Chronos
errr what??
Vote Placed by whatledge 4 years ago
whatledge
yyyyyywhatledgeTied