vorxxox
rougeagent21

re: The pen is mightier than the sword

rougeagent21

vorxxox

Con

I am unsure weather I'm for or against this old proverb "the pen is mightier than the sword" In this debate, I will argue against it, claiming that it is false, and doing everything in my power to denounce it. I ask for a well educated, worthy opponent, for I will do everything in my power to win this debate.

I withhold my arguments to next round.
rougeagent21

Pro

Well, that makes two of us. (However, please don't cheat in order to win...however you would do that:) )
As my opponent started this debate, I will allow him to open the discussion. Sir, whenever you are ready.
vorxxox

Con

Thank you for accepting my debate. Now for my speech.

People say "the pen is mightier than the sword. Writing and words hold greater power than arms." I beg to differ. Actually, the sword is much mightier than anything. By sword I don't literally mean a 'sword' as in 'Oh, in a fight a pen is no match for a sword!' Even though that's true, that's not what I'm arguing. The word sword symblifies arms of any kind. The one with the bigger sword will always be victorious, no matter how powerful the opponent's pen is. By pen I mean culture, arts, literature. With a bigger sword, you inherit the products of the pen. You may claim them as your own. The one with the pen must do what you say, or they die. You have the power of life and death. With swords, things are forced. With swords, people must obey your every command if they value their lives. Swords have shaped this very world, and the ones with bigger swords have forced their cultures unto their prey to eventually make the world we live in today.

That's my openning speech. Good luck to my opponent.
rougeagent21

Pro

"History repeats itself." This has proven itself time and time again. We can usually predict the future by what has happened in the past. When dealing with this pen proverb, I must agree. (For the sake of the debate I will agree with all of my opponent's definitions) The "pen" IS IN FACT mightier than the "sword." Going back to what I was saying earlier, history repeats itself. In the past, peoples have been oppressed by the biggest swords. But, it was never permanent. Look to the American Revolution, the Vietnam War, even Hitler's Europe. "What do those have in common?" you say. Well, In all of these, the populace was oppressed by the sword. But, who came out on top? Who, through underground "penmanship" designed for the overthrow of the sword?

The sword is often overtaken by the pen, having been proved by history multiple times.
"The pen is mightier than the sword."
Affirmed.
vorxxox

Con

Are you sure these 'underground penmenships' that overthrow oppresions aren't 'underground swordsmanships?' The American Revolution, Vietnam War, and Hitler's Europe couldn't be defeated without the power of the sword. In fact, the work of the pen is meaningless without the sword to enforce it's will. Without the sword reinforcing it, the pen has no juristiction, and does nothing but write powerless words.

It's like if I said "rougeagent 21, you must argue in the following rounds how I am right and how you made a mistake in trying to debate me!"

Uhhh, or else. Who am I to tell you. You don't have to listen to me. Yet, if I threatened to destroy your account, and you knew I was able to, you would sorta have to listen if you wanted your account. I'm just being hypothetical, but you get the idea.

I have therefore proven that without the sword, the pen is a weakling. So considering my arguments, I urge a CON vote. Thank you.
rougeagent21

Pro

My opponent assumes that the pen means nothing without the sword. However; given my examples, the sword reinforcing the pen is actually a result of it. By having the pen, you have the pen itself, and the sword as well. People are roused to action, or swordsmanship, by the will of the pen. Therefore, if you have the pen, you have the power.
vorxxox

Con

Ok then, to refute my opponent:

"My opponent assumes that the pen means nothing without the sword. However; given my examples, the sword reinforcing the pen is actually a result of it. By having the pen, you have the pen itself, and the sword as well. People are roused to action, or swordsmanship, by the will of the pen. Therefore, if you have the pen, you have the power."

First of all, we are debating not whether the pen is mighty or not, but if the pen is MIGHTIER than the sword. How can your argument be valid when the will of the pen has no jurisdiction without the power of the sword?

This is why I have won this debate. My opponent has not proved that the pen has no power without the sword, though the sword has power without the pen. I gave the example about if I threatened him with and without any jurisdiction, and he has yet to refute that point. I told him that without arms, The American Revolution would've never happened, and neither would the defeat of Hitler's Europe occur. My opponent's logic works like this: well, since the sword would've never been used without the pen, the pen is mightier than the sword. That's completely wrong. The sword is what's mightier than the pen because the PEN HAS NO WAY TO ENFORCE ITS WILL WITHOUT ARMS. You see, for all these revolutions to occur, the people eventually needed arms to enforce their will. Otherwise, their words would be as strong as ours.

ie: "This is my law or revolution or whatever: rougeagent 21 shall do everything I say."

Yeah. We're friends, right? You'll listen right? Sure.

"Oops, I meant or else I'll blow up your house."

Now that's more like it.

:)

Uhhh, thank you.

I urge a CON vote.
rougeagent21

Pro

I apologize, I just got on my cp and there are two minutes to post an argument. I will rebuttal in the comments. Sorry about that. To make things fair, my opponent may also make comments about the debate. Again, I apologize.
Posted by vorxxox 7 years ago
vorxxox
what the... What the heck! Dang you vote bombers!
Posted by rougeagent21 8 years ago
rougeagent21
Not me. I didn't even see them post. :(
Posted by jason_hendirx 8 years ago
jason_hendirx
Who reported my original post? Who reported tatarize's post?
Posted by rougeagent21 8 years ago
rougeagent21
OK, so the debate comes down to this statement from my opponent, and my response to it.

"This is why I have won this debate. My opponent has not proved that the pen has no power without the sword, though the sword has power without the pen. I gave the example about if I threatened him with and without any jurisdiction, and he has yet to refute that point. I told him that without arms, The American Revolution would've never happened, and neither would the defeat of Hitler's Europe occur."

My opponent's logic here is flawed. He fails to recall my arguments from round two, saying the sword means nothing without the pen, and that it an't even be formed without the pen. People don't just come together and say "Hey, lets make a powerful army!" Of course not, the pen creates the sword and directs it. The sword is nothing without the pen.

So, my argument stands strong, unrefuted by my opponent. Given that his has fallen completely, I urge an affirmative ballot. Thank you.
Vote Placed by resolutionsmasher 7 years ago
resolutionsmasher
vorxxoxrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by TFranklin62 8 years ago
TFranklin62
vorxxoxrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by vorxxox 8 years ago
vorxxox
vorxxoxrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
vorxxoxrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 8 years ago
rougeagent21
vorxxoxrougeagent21Tied