alishyaiscool
Danielle

religion is a necessary and worthwhile belief

alishyaiscool

Pro

Religion has been monumental in the development of today's society and the advancement of mankind. Regardless of whether various religions are true or not, they are a key to the fundamental beliefs, ethics, and interactions of the human race. Without religion, we would still be living in the dark ages. Religion provides a hope, a future, and a goal for people to better themselves. It provides a foundation universal truth so that we can function as a society.

Is religion real ie.. is there a god, gods, universal truths etc...? I think yes, but there are others who may think that religion is made up and will only be around as long as it continues to help the development of the species. Due to the fact that many wars and problems arise from 'religion', they would say that the human race will outgrow religion soon.

In anycase, religion is necessary in society for it to better itself - if not religion, something else will take its place.
Danielle

Con

I will refute Pro's points based on the resolution which notes that (organized) religion is both necessary AND worthwhile. 'Necessary' in this debate will be defined as mandatory, whereas something 'worthwhile' will mean something that is beneficial.

1) Re: Religion has been monumental in the development of today's society and the advancement of mankind... Religion provides a hope, a future, and a goal for people to better themselves.

Pro has not backed up this statement with any factual evidence or further support. I would argue that religion's imposition on society is both unnecessary and often counter-productive. For instance, religion for centuries has acted as the most prominent political barrier leading to wars, terrorism, cultural resistance and oppression. In addition to the millions of lives lost based on religious identification, there have been cases where religion didn't offer salvation to an individual but rather induced significant bouts of self-loathing (i.e. I'm not a good enough Christian so I'm a failure at life and a terrible human being; I'm going to reject my homosexual identity and hate myself forever for something out of my control; I don't believe in what my family believes and an education is instituted by the Devil, etc).

Moreover, various religious beliefs have impacted society in such a way that mass personal choices are often stifled by a particular religion's beliefs (i.e. Abortion Rights). Further, since many religious institutions / "clergy" act as marketing ploys to raise money, sometimes upholding one's financial obligations to a certain religion (i.e. tithings and other charges) makes being part of an organized religion definitely NOT worthwhile. And finally on this point, I don't see how religious efforts have been necessary or even "monumental" in terms of society's development. In fact, often times religious interference has hindered certain scientific, philosophical, psychological and other cultural advances. A perfect example of this type of religious ignorance can be seen in the Creationism vs. Evolution debate. Perhaps a less controversial example would be the issue of Stem Cell Research. While certainly an ethical issue in addition to just a religious issue, it is not secret or exaggeration that religious beliefs and followers are the primary opposition to such scientific advancement.

2) Re: Regardless of whether various religions are true or not, they are a key to the fundamental beliefs, ethics, and interactions of the human race... (Religion) provides a foundation universal truth so that we can function as a society.

The validity of religious claims is very important. People expect man-made laws to imitate their religious values (as followers believe that God's law [or the equivalent of God] is greater than man-made law), thus what "god" really wants is actually very critical in determining how this country and others are run, according to believers. However, believing in god/religion are not prerequisites for determining what is or isn't moral. One is capable of drawing the same moral conclusion regardless of whether or not they believe in a deity; for instance the belief that stealing is wrong. Additionally, since various religions exist (under-statement...) with differing agendas, values and beliefs, what would Pro suggest in the instance that different faiths are willing to fight to the death (and murder, maim, rape, steal, pillage and kill by the masses) to promote and foster the ideals of their particular religion? These hardly seem like "worthwhile" endeavors.

Point blank, the assumption that an atheist or agnostic individual cannot be a moral or ethical human being is FALSE any way you slice it. People of differing religious backgrounds are able to communicate and coexist effectively without having their religious backgrounds be a factor. Thus, we should conclude that religion isn't necessary in terms of one's personal or social identity.

3) Re: Without religion, we would still be living in the dark ages.

First, what Pro means by the Dark Ages is subjective. It's actually a highly disputed time in history; various cultures experience what they refer to as "Dark Ages," and even the famous Dark Ages in Europe (after the decline of Rome) is disputed regarding when it actually took place and why it is given the name. However, assuming that we're referring to the early Middle Ages, it should be noted that during the Age of Enlightenment, religion was seen as antithetical to reason. Because the Dark Ages were seen as the "Age of Faith," it was seen as a period contrary to reason, and thus contrary to the Age of Reason. Kant and Voltaire were two Enlightenment writers who were vocal in attacking the religiously dominated Middle Ages as a period of social decline. So, Pro's assessment is incorrect.

4) Re: If not religion, something else will take its place.

Like what? Truth and justice?

(I'm out of characters for now...)
alishyaiscool

Pro

alishyaiscool forfeited this round.
Danielle

Con

I'll continue/expand my previous argument since my opponent has yet to respond:

Re: It (Religion) provides a foundation universal truth so that we can function as a society.

--> What "universal truth" does religion provide? Religion relies on faith (and fear) to teach/lead followers - not truth. Any type of truth would require proof, evidence or facts. So far religion of any denomination still relies a great deal on faith, and moreover, given the fact that there are THOUSANDS of different religions and "truths" out there, I'd be curious to know what 'truth' Pro is speaking of.

Re: In anycase, religion is necessary in society for it to better itself.

--> I'm still waiting for Pro to explain how. I would argue that most, if not all of the substantial achievements of humanity and society until this point would and could have been possible without religion. Pro must explain why religion is useful for the perpetuation of society, worthwhile (in general), and perhaps note how or why a lack of religion would be detrimental (to act as the opposite of necessary) and overall unrewarding (the opposite of worthwhile).

I hope that Pro responds to future rounds; I'll shift the argument back that way for now.
alishyaiscool

Pro

alishyaiscool forfeited this round.
Danielle

Con

Danielle forfeited this round.
alishyaiscool

Pro

alishyaiscool forfeited this round.
Danielle

Con

Once again, Pro forfeited another round. Please continue to extend all of my arguments.
alishyaiscool

Pro

alishyaiscool forfeited this round.
Danielle

Con

Pro has consistently failed to respond to any of my arguments, thus leaving a rebuttal to all of her points and no rejection to any of my numerous contentions/responses. I encourage a vote for the Con. This was a shabby, one-sided debate.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
Obviously Con won every argument. Pro's repeated default is bad conduct.
Vote Placed by atheistman 7 years ago
atheistman
alishyaiscoolDanielleTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
alishyaiscoolDanielleTied
Vote Placed by philosphical 7 years ago
philosphical
alishyaiscoolDanielleTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
alishyaiscoolDanielleTied