poojabajaj_85
Conspicuous_Conservative

religion should be taught in schools

poojabajaj_85

Pro

yes, i think religion should be taught in schools....at least students will get to learn how to respect all religions,right from their childhood.the basic moral in all religions is same,it differs in the way how they pray..worship entity is different but al have same message to spread.there should not be any particular religion which should be taught...
Conspicuous_Conservative

Con

Although I am a practicing Catholic and I do believe that religion is a very important subject to be taught to children of all ages, I do not feel it is appropriate to be taught in school. Despite the fact that it may boost the level of morality in our society it would also be a detriment to the education system due to distractions that would arise from making it law.

I am from the United States and in the United States Constitution which is the law that rules over every other law and governing body here. In the first Amendment to the US Constitution it States that, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.". Because public school is a government run organization I feel that teaching religion beyond just the historical relevance would not fly here in America especially with the over sensitivity of the people and defense attorneys looking to make an extra buck.

I noticed from your profile that you are from the country of Indian. I am fond of many people from their I have a number of friends that are Hindu, Sikh and Muslim the come from different cities a crossed Indian. Now you should no with the very troubled relationship between Pakistan and Indian mostly based on religion and secondarily based on land disputes that trying to teach a Muslim religions based on poly-theism would cause so much trouble in that region that i am afraid even more violence would be create not understanding. Also try to imagine trying to teach Muslims about the religion of Judaism, with the majority of the Muslim world hating most Jews do to the issue regarding Israel I am afraid your plan although it seems very well intentioned would cause more problems then it would create understanding.

I would like for you to tell me your religion if you do not mind so i can better present my position in the next round and I hope you and the people watching this debate have a very happy, safe and prosperous New Year.
poojabajaj_85

Pro

yes i completely agree with you that...muslims hate jews and the violence will arise more if this teaching is being done ....but if u think in this way that future of any country is in the hands of the upcoming youth,right from their childhood...if the feeling of "all religions are same" is instilled; i think there will be a time reached where no riots in the name of religion will take place...that is why i think it should be introduced in schools and not any colleges....coz the young kids studying in school can be moulded in any way ...as they have not seen much of the world...if this message is preached ...i think they ll gain respect towards all religion

one more thing...i follow hinduism but i respect all religions...i believe no religion is bad,defect is not in any religion or people but its in thoughts...which is built based upon the situations they see around them.

i like one thing about you, you keep arguments in a very calm way...u seem to be understanding...
Conspicuous_Conservative

Con

Once again it is a pleasure to be here with my opponent and the people that have taking the time to read the debate, I truly thank you all. I would like to first tell my opponent that she does not need to thank me because all people should treat one another with respect no matter their political affiliation or the religious background.

I would like to address the fact that in my home town of Stockton, California we have a very large Indian population, in fact the area is very large. Many of these people are students studying nursing or becoming doctors. Honestly I have a lot of Indian friends but must of them are Sikh love your food and your culture. Now I didn't get to study religion in school so why am I so understanding of your culture? The answer to that question is because my parents instilled understanding and acceptance in my life. Why would I bring up that statement? Well the answer to that question is this, In a perfect world your strategy would work we would have open minded individuals, ready to soak in all kinds of cultures and religions and eventually war, hate and racism would seize to exist. The problem is not in the schools, even if the schools taught understanding the racism is at home from generations and generations of propaganda or hate. So a child will go to school for an hour long religion class which honesty how many children pay attention in school. Then they go home and they are exposed to racism all day.

In addition to family members drilling hate into the minds and hearts of their children, these young minds that you state are easily moulded (which I agree whole heatedly) children can turn on there favorite cute television show and learn hate. Take a look at some following links and you will see Hams brainwashing the children to hate Americans and Jews.

http://www.youtube.com...

If those do not make you sick and loose hope for religion changing the minds of children I do not know what will. Honestly I wish your idea would work but it would take a person with a kind heart like yours and a family that is not going to teach you hate your entire life.
poojabajaj_85

Pro

i completely agree with the fact that if racism is feeded into the child 's mind by their parents...they would hardly try to implement the things which they ll learn in the school....but how can we forget"something is better than nothing"....its human psychology that if same thing is repeatedly said to u then we start believing in that.same will be the case for children atleast if they are taught in svhools i think a time will be reached where at leas 10% of the students will agree to ""no racism""good things leave their impact late but its long lasting.
Conspicuous_Conservative

Con

I would like to thank my opponent and all the individuals that have put there input into this topic. I Believe that my opponent is a very sensitive, caring and optimistic individual. I on the other hand am a realist and it saddens me to come to the realization that most will come to, we are in an era that is getting progressively worse and I am sorry with classes only having partial influences on children nowadays I find it hard to even imagine any government ran program (education) would have a positive influence on school.

In addition to it not working I feel that it would have the adverse effect on the education system. When they use to teach sex education to students in school many parents would take them out of the class, so on an issue as important as religion I would expect many more parents to do the same if not more. In regions like the Sudan where religious groups like the Muslims and Christians are getting systematically murdered while the women are raped and exploited.
Posted by Conspicuous_Conservative 9 years ago
Conspicuous_Conservative
I am so sorry I left out the muslims in Africa who are commiting genocide against the christians in the Sudan, also the largest population of Muslims are found in Indonesia to be exact. By the way you should stop claiming I know nothing of Islam because you generalize and you have provided no facts.
Posted by theamericanmuslim 9 years ago
theamericanmuslim
Which means absolutely nothing. That's still "some" Muslims. Obviously you don't know how many Muslims there are. The majority of Muslims are Asian and African, so by default, anything happening with Arabs is in the minority. So your point is mute, when there are more Muslims in China then Palestine.
Conspicuous_Conservative
I could have swore I wrote the fact that the majority of muslims hate jews. If not I do not mean to generalize. Obviously you have not been watching the fact that Palestinians are fighting to take back land they believe is there's there are countries that want to destory isreal which are predominantly Muslim and there are countries that refuse to acknowledge Israel's existence.
Posted by theamericanmuslim 9 years ago
theamericanmuslim
Actually let me correct my statement A: Not all Muslims hate Jews, I can't speak for all 1.5 billion Muslims anymore than you guys can, but I can say what my religion teaches and Islam doesn't teach hatred for the Jews.
Posted by theamericanmuslim 9 years ago
theamericanmuslim
A: Muslims don't hate Jews. I'm disgusted at such a broad sweeping ignorant statement.

B: There is a difference between teaching religion and teaching theology. Religion does not go against the Constitution and is taught in public institutions because Religion classes teach from a secular straight up and down point of view, whereas theology teaches from a doctrinal dogmatic point of view. That is why institutions that teach religion are public and theology private.

A little study and experience wouldn't hurt in a debate.
Posted by Irvin700 9 years ago
Irvin700
I thought this is why we have theology classes. =P
Posted by arrivaltime 9 years ago
arrivaltime
A lot of schools DO have religion classes. As long as they don't promote just one religion schools may have them.
Vote Placed by desk19 9 years ago
desk19
poojabajaj_85Conspicuous_ConservativeTied
Vote Placed by Cindela 9 years ago
Cindela
Vote Placed by adamh 9 years ago
adamh
Vote Placed by Corryngf 9 years ago
Corryngf
Vote Placed by Keithinator 9 years ago
Keithinator
Vote Placed by demsam22 9 years ago
demsam22
Vote Placed by dcstern 9 years ago
dcstern
Vote Placed by jeyasins 9 years ago
jeyasins
Vote Placed by ryan.martin 9 years ago
ryan.martin
Vote Placed by hannahs_ear 9 years ago
hannahs_ear