Religion Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

Theology should not be taught in universities

Hariex

"What makes you think that "theology" is a subject at all?"" Richard Dawkins' gallant claim on the "emptiness" of theology boasted an ignorance uncommon for someone of his experience. Whether this conclusion was necessary for his anti-theistic musings, I don't know, but it seems a little ironic that he should post this under The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science.In this debate I will demonstrate why theology should be taught in...

Challenge Period
7 Comments
Updated 6 Hours Ago

catholic church's claims are weak n early history, regarding papacy

dairygirl4u2c

catholic church's claims are weak in early history, regarding papacy because the extent of what i would like to post exceeds the number of characters i am allowed, i will just reference a link that has all my arguments in it: http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/130867-catholic-churchs-claims-are-weak-in-early-history-regarding-papal-infallibility/...

Challenge Period
2 Comments
Updated 11 Hours Ago

catholic church's claims are weak in early history, regarding papacy

dairygirl4u2c

Challenge Period
0 Comments
Updated 11 Hours Ago

it is the most reasonable interpretation of the bible to say that some nonchristians can be saved

linate
IAmThatIAm

it is the most reasonable interpretation of the bible to say that some nonchristians can be saved there are four major points in the bible that i can think of regarding salvation of nonchristians. one is around John 3:16 where it says something to the effect of... "for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him shall not parish, but have ever lasting life. for God did not send his son to condemn the world, but that that world should be saved t...

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 2 Hours Ago

scientifically inexplicable happenings occur that appear supernatural but almost never to atheists

linate
SimpleObserverofThings

scientifically inexplicable, apparently supernatural things occur, but not to atheists. these are apparent miracles. please show something that happened to an atheist, that would have been called an apparent miracle had it happened to a religous person, because of its scientifically inexplicable nature. no semantics pleas note: i am not accepting examples of miracles that happen to atheists who then convert. what are thought of as miraculous events are heavily documented and readily a...

Voting Period
1 Comments
Updated 53 Minutes Ago

from an official capacity, the roman catholic church has never contradicted itself

linate
Samuel60

in this debate, i am not counting the issues of limbo, or "no salvation outside the catholic church". (to be sure, there are plausible arguments about how those do not involve contradictions in teachings, but that's better left for another debate) you would think if the catholic church were not true, that it would have contradicted itself at some point in two thousand years. the only things that count are statements that are authoritative, things that could be considerted "infallible". the...

Debating Period
5 Comments
Updated 2 Hours Ago

God is not Real

kittty23
Firelife

I dont believe in god for many reasons. Tell me reasons to why you believe in god and i will debate against those reasons...

Debating Period
5 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Mormons are Christians

Bdollhall
jladams

In debate the following will be available to counter either person: The Bible, Book of Mormon, Prophets, Prophecies, Manuscript, Archaeological Evidence, and so forth. As you can tell there is very little that should not be considered "fair play". Being a Christian, my primary source of information will inevitably come from the Bible, and I will do my best to focus on the contradictions between the Bible and Book of Mormon. In short, the opposing party will do their best to convince me...

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 17 Hours Ago

Does God Exist?

jesussaves
SocialistAtheistNutjob

As a Christian, I believe that the God of the Bible exists. Let's start with why I believe in some type of god. Even if you believe in the Big Bang, you know the universe is not eternal. There is a beginning and everything that has a beginning has a cause. Also, you can tell everything is intelligently designed. If I paint a picture, do I assume it happened by natural processes or that it was done by an intelligent mind? Which is more logical? Also, morality. Let me make this clear: I am not say...

Debating Period
2 Comments
Updated 17 Hours Ago

Science is the key/ Not Religion

Wolf_Fang
JasperFrancisShickadance

The modern scientific approach to the natural world is a rich and fascinatingly correct one while attempting to make sense of the world around us. Science is created with a question, and then that question is researched and studied. After enough knowledge on the subject of the question, a hypothesis is created, which is rigorously tested many times for confirmation. After the tests have concluded, the results are reviewed and are published, even if it disagrees with the original question, under...

Debating Period
5 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago