Religion Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

Is Christianity as Violent as Islam?

FranzPanz
brontoraptor

Putting it out there at the beginning, I'm actually a huge supporter of Islam (please don't burn down my house) but I was speaking with my son the other day and he appeared to believe that Islam was inherently evil. I mean to change that, and I wanted to show him why it wasn't. Please only take up this debate if you actually believe that Islam is more violent. The Con will have to argue that A. Christianity is less violent than Islam (d'oh) B. Islam has been overwhelmingly more violent than...

Debating Period
3 Comments
Updated 2 Hours Ago

That the Omnipotence Paradox is a Flawed Argument

The-Voice-of-Truth

Hello to all. I have been in a religious mood for a couple of days now, and have been mulling over this specific paradox. Comment if you would like to accept.The Omnipotence Paradox is as follows:Can God create a stone so heavy that...

Challenge Period
65 Comments
Updated 12 Hours Ago

I should be a Sikh

harrytruman
talmid

I have to address this, Talmid thinks that all non-Jews are going to hell, so I have a question for him; Is that in Judaism? Talmid acts as if it is in this debate: http://www.debate.org/debates/Is-Jesus-the-Messiah/1/ As we know, I admitted that I was wrong about Christianity in this debate for the following reason: I like not to think of myself as a hypocrite, if this is so, and with Muslims I would advise them to ditch Islam because of this moral fallacy, then I cannot remain a Christian...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 12 Hours Ago

Atheists Believe in Mythological Concepts

brontoraptor
Jedd

Atheists believe in mythology "The giant birds of Native American mythology" http://www.native-languages.org... -Cigwe (more commonly spelled Chequa or Chequah) is the Potawatomi Thunderbird, a giant mythological bird common to the northern and western tribes. www.native-languages.org/cigwe.htm -Culloo was a giant bird of prey, said to eat humans and be large enough to carry off a child. www.native-languages.org/culloo.htm "Terror birds" https://en.m.wikipedia.org... "...

Voting Period
10 Comments
Updated 1 Hour Ago

Parents Should Tell Their Children About Every Different Religion Instead of Indoctrinating Them

trying2think
minddrag

In every society, parents should not indoctrinate their children with absolute statements about God, the origin of the universe, or any of the other big questions. Parents should explain the differences between different religions and ideologies. Then they should allow their children to decide for themselves what to believe or reject. If you believe parents should bring up their children to believe a certain way without telling them about alternatives, I would love to debate you. Tha...

Debating Period
6 Comments
Updated 24 Minutes Ago

Nothing suggests there must be a God

Bound_Up
PHlLOSOPHER

Let the respondent define "God" as they believe in him/her/it. For example, if for you "God" = "an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient being of love and creation," then the topic shall be argued as "Nothing suggests there must be an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient being of love and creation." Let's keep it clear and accessible, snappy and to the point. To give us some meat to work with right off the bat, I'll address some common arguments for the evidence of God. 1 - "Some da...

Voting Period
10 Comments
Updated 6 Hours Ago

The Judeo/Christian god must be the one true god

64bithuman

The last debate I posted ended in forfeiture for my opponent so this time let's actually try and have a debate. By accepting the debate you must agree to follow the format or else forfeit:R1: Acceptance R2: ArgumentsR3-R5: RebuttalsThe argument is...

Challenge Period
8 Comments
Updated 20 Hours Ago

All "scientific evidence for God" can only argue that some creating thing exists, not that it's God

Bound_Up
trying2think

Suppose we grant all the arguments that the universe could not exist at all, and could not exist with order, without some creating thing behind it all. Suppose the evidence shows that such a thing must have been responsible for the universe. How go from there to any religion on earth? The religions of earth all go beyond the evidence. They tack on extra information that there's no evidence for. Maybe the complexity of genes suggests an ordering thing, but it tells you nothing about whether...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 8 Hours Ago

A universe with a God has no more morality than a universe without one

Bound_Up
ViceRegent

It is said that without God, you can have no objective morality. Suppose that you do have a God. He says people should act in certain ways. So what? What makes him right? And whatever rule you use to determine why his kind of being must be right about such things, how do you know it's correct?...

Voting Period
5 Comments
Updated 18 Hours Ago

everybody is agnostic by default, no one is born insane

vi_spex
kkjnay

agnostic=let the content of the ufo in the night sky remain an unsolved mystery agnostic=maybe position :)...

Debating Period
16 Comments
Updated 18 Hours Ago