frozen_eclipse
Rok

resolved; black history month ought to be abolished in America.

frozen_eclipse

frozen_eclipse

Pro

I and many who don't speak up see black history month to be unnecessary and unjust to others. I believe it is also something the African American community uses to maintain hatred towards other races.

I am half African American and Korean. It would be interesting to debate a African American but ill be honest I have a slight bias because I expect them to use obvious arguments however anyone is fine.

debate structure is as follows

round 1 acceptance

round 2 case/contentions/(no rebuttal allowed)

round 3 rebuttals

round 4 rebuttals/ new arguments or evidence

round 5 conclusive statements ( no new evidence allowed) ( new sources are fine)

acceptance of this debate constitutes adherence to these rules or loss of conduct points.

frozen_eclipse

Pro

Black history month is truly a phenomenon. Besides the fact that black is a color and not a culture or race and thus it should be called African American history month( well actually it shouldn't ill explain later), there is a massive disconnect in my opinion relating to what black history month is today and what African American history ought to be.

Unintentionally via BHM African Americans have separated themselves as Americans

BHM was intended to emphasis the groups accomplishments and to inform the colleges that believed at the time that African Americans have no history; that indeed they do have a history. It was also a tool to discourage slavery from ever happening again. We no longer need to inform the world. America knows that you have a history now and we know you are smart educated people. So the original intention has been achieved. BHM has separated the African American history from Americas own history. By isolating and condensing this history in one month you are sending a message that the history is to only be acknowledged during that month. I'm sure none wanted that to happen but it is the reality of the situation. African Americans need to realize that African American history is American history. It should be acknowledged any time of the year just like other cultures and groups histories. African Americans themselves are doing their culture an by allowing BHM to still exist and detriment their societal culture and influence on America.

BHM breeds and or catalyzes hatred of Caucasians

In my opinion African Americans today are still holding on to hatred 10 times more than those who are racist towards them. They constantly speak on how the quote " white man has the upper hand in society". This is not true. Even if it was true you allow it be true. BHM is a catalyst for this hatred and pain to intensify by thoroughly going through those painful events for 28 days of a month. Not only is that unhealthy psychologically, BHM should be important enough to them to not cram all of it into one month then forget about it the rest of the year. Many feel a sense of entitlement to be recognized during that month. Many are so angry that caucasians did that over 100 years ago. Don't you think its time to get over it? The hatred, the anger, the sense that your different from them? BHM makes African Americans allow themselves to be separate from American history during this month. It enables them to be separate and in that isolation fester. This isn't good at all. For some reason it seems that BHM only speaks of the people as slaves. I think this is a huge injustice. You are more than just slaves but the rest of the world only hears slave history because of the condensing that goes on during BHM. It needs to be Abolished.

BHM is a huge injustice to other cultures enslaved by other humans.

During BHM slavery is the main if not only part of the history that is discussed. If this is the case then we need to acknowledge the countless other slaves in the slave ships with African. We need to also talk about the Jewish, the Aztecs,,,North Koreans, the Byzantine empire, and every other human and culture ever enslaved to make the occasion fair and accurate. Otherwise we need to abolish BHM. It is not justified to honor African slaves only when discussing slavery and struggle. should we maybe give every culture a month to condense their history as well? Impossible. Why should African Americans celebrate this injustice BHM does to themselves and the rest of America

BHM creates separatism Americans, amplifies hatred and stalls social progression beyond slavery and, lastly it is an injustice to the African American community and other Americans. For these reasons Black History Months ought to be abolished and African American history needs to be recognized as American history.

Rok

Con

I am not the best at debating but here I go..

Black History month in America is simply to remember the accomplishments of Black Americans throughout history. Everyone has a different history. African-American history is different from American history. In American history, Blacks were property, and then peasants of lower intellect and less worth. In African-American History they are seen as a strong people who endured many struggles and eventually overcame them through hard work and determination. Black History Month is meant to emphasize this rather separate it from American history. In a country where Blacks have been prejudiced throughout a majority of it’s history, it is remembered that those people struggled for acceptance, for the “American dream” that was so close, yet still so far away.

It is not only slavery and prejudice that is remembered in Black History Month, but also Black inventors, scientists, doctors etc. It goes beyond remembering the struggles of Black Americans, but to recognizing their ongoing accomplishments. It’s remembering a group of people separate from the country’s history. If we view Black History Month as remembering slavery then we don’t truly understand it’s purpose. Remembering a group of people is preserving traditions, achievements, struggles, pride.. history. If Blacks lost a sense of where they came from then what would they be today? If the past is forgotten it can repeat itself. Remembering the struggles and accomplishments pushes everyone, not only blacks, to accomplish more.

Regardless of Black History Month, African-American history will still exist, just like German-American, Irish-American, British-American history etc. will exist. Black History Month, again I say, is only to emphasize the struggles and accomplishments rather separate it from American history. America is a combination of many different cultures put together into one country. Black History Month is recognized over all because Blacks endured the most struggles in American history, rather than being the only ones to struggles. We can take the time to remember the struggles of the Irish, Chinese railroad workers, Native Americans etc., but none were on a scale as large as Black Americans. The Black struggle was so difficult it nearly drove the country to separation. A month to remember that Blacks, who endured struggles on the largest scale in American history, is not much to ask. Taking Black History Month away is not the proper solution rather making it clear the intention of emphasizing the history of a people who played a huge role in the development of the country, while not separating it from the its history. Saying we no longer recognize Black History Month is the same as saying you do not recognize the history of this group of people.

frozen_eclipse

Pro

I must say you chose a touchy subject to start off with but good luck.

cons last post proves my point that BHM does a dis-service to African Americans. Con has proven my contention being , " unintentionally via BHM African Americans have separated themselves as Americans," to be obviously true since he plainly did it himself. He blatancy said as I quote, "African American history is different from American history." It is this ridiculous belief that they have that allows them to be different. Their is nothing wrong with acknowledging ones history but reserving a month for it and having these racist effects are not ok. Why are Africans any different from the Japanese who were slaves or the Chinese eunuchs who were castrated to be royal slaves for the rest of their lives? What the North Koreans who still to this day have their families enslaved and roasted 3 generations long for simply saying I don't like Kim il sueng who died a very long time ago. Why does America not give them a month? Why does America not give a month to the Europeans that came to Ellis island and broke their backs to build America? What about those who founded New York and California through long trips and offered themselves to cannibalism to build this place.why is it that African Americans believe so adamantly that they have suffered more than any other race? I can confidently say atleast 75% of African Americans believe this. It is truly ridiculous that African Americans force America to see them as separate yet want so desperately to be considered Americans and equal BHM is completely contradictory to peace and social relations. Every one of Americas Ancestors had their struggles.

As I was saying all of the ethnicites that make up America has its sins ands its own history and struggles. No culture needs to degrade themselves by only recognizing their history by a month. Not Mexicans, not boriquas, not Europeans, not Africans Americans, not pacific islanders or anyone else. Im still angered by the fact that you and a large majority of African Americans have the audacity to say we have suffered more than anyone else in America. Where do you get this since of entitlement. Let me educate the masses of something. Because African Americans don't like to admit it. Many African Americans say we were kidnapped from Africa well about 98 percent say so. However the Africans sold you to the Europeans, the Spaniards, and the French etc... those who the tribes no longer wanted or war criminals were given to them and shipped out also to pay large debts.

this source below proves the ashante tribes etc... did so.

http://hnn.us...

Let us also realize that Muslims, and Arabs were enslaved as well. Why can't they get a month?
Awnser me that. I eagerly await your response.

Also many African Americans are the racists today. It is in our culture to be racist towards them and have hatred towards europeans. It is oh so prevelent during BHM. America we need to get rid of it. African Americans get over yourselves. You want freedom and equality yet you yourselves still hold in to racist veiws. The europeans, spaniards, and french enslaved you. They also freed you forever. Yes I said it Europeans gave you freedom.

Voters we need to abolish black history month. BHM is an injustice to African Americans and the rest of America. It encourages hatred towards Europeans and encourages racism, and lastly African Americans should not consider themselves separate from society. All of these problems can be helped to be fixed as soon as we start the process by abolishing BHM. Vote or so we can move towards peace and equality.
Rok

Con

First I would like to mention that I believe my opponent is under the assumption that I am only African American. I would like to say that I am of Caucasian (approx. 25%), Black (approx. 40%), Native American (approx. 25%) and Jewish descent (approx. 10%).

My opponent has decided to make his point in comparing the struggles of African Americans to the struggles of other races in American history. As I previously stated, blacks endured struggles on the largest scale. At no point did I hint that blacks were the only ones to struggle.

“What the North Koreans who still to this day have their families enslaved and roasted 3 generations long for simply saying I don't like Kim il sueng who died a very long time ago. Why does America not give them a month?”

I believe this is irrelevant.

“Why does America not give a month to the Europeans that came to Ellis island and broke their backs to build America? What about those who founded New York and California through long trips and offered themselves to cannibalism to build this place.”

I don’t believe you know how Black History Month was started. America didn’t create Black History Month. Black History Month was started in 1926 as “Negro History Week”. It was recognized by the U.S. in 1976 as “Black History Month”. So the fact that those groups of people do not have a “month” would be because those groups of people don’t have some unofficial week dedicated to teaching about their own history. Another reason would be because Black History Month is not solely about the struggles of blacks in America. It is about their accomplishments as well. Blacks have a much longer history in America being here long before those Europeans arrived in Ellis Island and before the founding of California.

As to the “long trips and offered themselves to cannibalism”, slave ships were not hospitable. A quote from Olaudah Equiano’s autobiography describes this:

“The closeness of the place, and the heat of the climate, added to the number in the ship, which was so crowded that each had scarcely room to turn himself, almost suffocated us. This produced copious perspirations, so that the air soon became unfit for respiration, from a variety of loathsome smells, and brought on a sickness among the slaves, of which many died — thus falling victims to the improvident avarice, as I may call it, of their purchasers. This wretched situation was again aggravated by the galling of the chains, now become insupportable, and the filth of the necessary tubs, into which the children often fell, and were almost suffocated. The shrieks of the women, and the groans of the dying, rendered the whole a scene of horror almost inconceivable.”

http://historymatters.gmu.edu...

Equiano also states that he would have preferred jumping overboard and drowning to serving a life in slavery, as many blacks actually did. The ships were packed with over a hundred slaves with no room to move. Sickness would spread and the slaves were malnourished. Many would die on the trips and those who lived wouldn’t meet a joyous fate. As compared to the others, the blacks had no choice in the matter.

This is an image depicting an slave ship http://0.tqn.com...

“why is it that African Americans believe so adamantly that they have suffered more than any other race? I can confidently say atleast 75% of African Americans believe this. It is truly ridiculous that African Americans force America to see them as separate yet want so desperately to be considered Americans and equal BHM is completely contradictory to peace and social relations. Every one of Americas Ancestors had their struggles.”

Obviously all of America’s ancestors has their struggles, that is not in question; however, in American history there were more African slaves peaking at almost four million before abolition. Black History Month is not asking for separation, but recognition; Recognition that blacks are not worthless as America viewed them for so long. If anything, Black History Month says: “Hey, we took all you threw at us, we endured those struggles and we’re still here.” It’s asking for the due respect and equality blacks deserve.

“Im still angered by the fact that you and a large majority of African Americans have the audacity to say we have suffered more than anyone else in America. Where do you get this since of entitlement.”

I would like to point out that subjectivity is causing you to overlook the facts. I said blacks suffered on the largest scale, not the most. No other group of people suffered more than blacks than Native Americans. Native Americans suffered longer than blacks and were nearly annihilated completely. I am surprised my opponent did not mention that many Native American tribes were destroyed completely and that they also were taken into slavery; however, many Native Americans evaded Europeans and there were many attempts to assimilate Native Americans into Americans society before blacks were even given their freedom. It is not a sense of “entitlement”, it is understanding facts.

“Let me educate the masses of something. Because African Americans don't like to admit it. Many African Americans say we were kidnapped from Africa well about 98 percent say so. However the Africans sold you to the Europeans, the Spaniards, and the French etc... those who the tribes no longer wanted or war criminals were given to them and shipped out also to pay large debts.”

Thank you for educating the masses. I believe saying: “98% of African American say that we were kidnapped” is completely subjective. From most of the African Americans I know, they have taken US History in high school and understand that Africans were sold into slavery by other Africans; however it was not purely “those who the tribes no longer wanted or war criminals”. The first African slaves were kidnapped of course, people don’t arrive to a new continent with a slave trade system already predetermined. However, African tribes would fight each other and the defeated would be sold into slavery. Africans would also kidnap other Africans and sell them into slavery. Mostly innocents were sold into slavery rather than “unwanteds” or “criminals”; but does it matter if Africans sold them or not? They were still purchased and mistreated, and what if the Africans stopped selling them slaves. Then they would be kidnapped by Europeans once again. Regardless of how the slaves were received, they were still taken from their home.

“Let us also realize that Muslims, and Arabs were enslaved as well. Why can't they get a month?

Awnser me that. I eagerly await your response.”

I’m glad you are eager to hear my response. Concerning American history, the Arab slave trade was not pressing. In relation to Black History Month, as I have said before, it is not all about slavery. It is about influential blacks in American history. The struggles of slavery produced many black “heroes” and “heroines” as well as those of other races. To answer your question, Black History Month is not Slave History Month.

My opponent seems to be stuck under the impression that Black History Month has only to do with slavery. The fact that slavery and prejudice is the main subject of Black History Month is because blacks in America were slaves until the mid 19th century and then received much prejudice until very recent. Again I would like to say that Black History Month is only meant to emphasize the accomplishments of blacks in American history, not separate them. Blacks, throughout most of American history, have been looked down upon and seen as lower class. 200 years ago, a poor white man was still ten times the worth of a wealthy, free black man. That black man wouldn’t even be considered a person at that time.

frozen_eclipse

Pro

My opponent makes the crazy and unfounded assertion that, "blacks endured struggles on the largest scale. Not the most."

I don't know where people get the idea that they have the right to say I have struggled more than you especially when it comes to race. African Americans have not struggled the most in America. How can you say they suffered on the largest scale but not the most? That doesn't make sense. You obviously think they have suffered the most.

But the funny thing is con contradicts his own statement towards the end of his post, " Native Americans suffered longer than blacks and were nearly annihilated completely." ". No other group of people suffered more than blacks than Native Americans. "

Con also says he never said African Americans struggle the most. This is a lie.

"Black History Month is recognized over all because Blacks endured the most struggles in American history."

Obviously con is making multiple contradictions in his case. His stance is crumbling.

Here's another contradiction con has made, "Black History Month is only meant to emphasize the accomplishments of blacks in American history, not separate them." ". African-American history is different from American history"
"Black History Month is not asking for separation, but recognition"

You've said twice that AF history is not separate however in your initial case you say it is separate or different. I think its clear what your shifting under pressure.

It seems starting to persuade con to change his views on multiple levels since he can not stick to many of his ideas.
he also like majority of the race consider themselves separate or have separated themselves do to the hatred and separatism that BHM creates. This effect has obviously taken its toll on my opponent. Look at the statement below

"200 years ago, a poor white man was still ten times the worth of a wealthy, free black man."'
This statement indicates some anger or negativity towards the caucasians because this sentence is mere here say.
A poor Caucasian couldn't afford a slave while a wealthy AF could. If a AF can buy a slave he has more worth than someone who. This article proves that AF bought and owned slaves which at the time the south succeeded the union cost around 130,000

http://clclt.com...

http://www.measuringworth.com...

This example obviously indicates a feeling of being separate and a view of the caucasians. This is a typical view shared during BHM that is false.

Con states my north Korean example is irrelevant. It is very relevant because Korean descendants now live in America. They suffer alot. They didn't beg for respect from America or impose upon America for it. They simply put up or shut up and proved themselves to be valuable members of society like every other culture in America. They didn't need a month because they realize their history is worth more than to be condensed into a month. They realize that they are American history.

Con says I don't know how BHM started. Regardless if I do or don't what does that have to do with our resolution?
However it seems your the one unaware of woodson, and how February was decided to honor Lincoln, and Douglas,

Around paragraph 4 this article explains the whole story which I will be referring to later

http://www.phillymag.com...

Con seems to try to prove that AF has suffered more than others where he goes into this type of history lesson.
Regardless of what AF may have gone through you cannot logically say AF had suffered more than others in America. Suffering and struggling is a subjective experience. Though a group may suffer something together the individuals of that group are going to experience it all on different levels and ways. Therefore it is illogical to say any race in America suffered more than another because one cannot accurately quantify how much a race suffers or struggles accurately. Not to mention no one knows what all the races did to transition to America.

Let's use the example of the native Americans that con contradictionaly used. He claims Native Americans may have suffered more than AF. If that's true why don't they have a month?why do we respect and know their history and seem their worth though according to cons logic we wouldn't know their history or respect them if a culture who went through something similar didn't have a recognized month? As we see this is a hole in cons failing case.

Con states, "The first African slaves were kidnapped of course"
I charge him to prove it. I want to also say that slave trade is not exclusive to AF. Have you forgotten the Romans. Or the Arabs we falsely kidnapped, and abused, and tortured, enslaved and traded.
guantanimo bay remember that? They didn't ask for a month yet we recognize and respect their struggle.

anyone see a trend happening?

Here's a quote from con, "Concerning American history, the Arab slave trade was not pressing." Wow so the only pressing slavery in American history is AF slavery of whom you say is separated from American history? Simply amazing, but AF Do not have a sense of self entitlement? Simply amazing. Regardless of if Arab or any other type of slavery in America was important in your opinion, the fact is they went through the same things. The same slavery, the same assimilation, the same type of struggle. Guess what they don't need a month to condense their history.

I want to say that though BHM was created by woodson to educate America that AF do have history. This has been accomplished, we are in the history books however BHM has talked about slavery so much that the history books almost exclusively talk about slavery and the achievements of slaves. Why? Because BHM is mainly about reminding America that we were its slaves and spreading anger , a sense of self entitlement, educating people on the names of some famous AF, separating the culture from America, expressing dislike or hate towards the caucasians,and spreading the false belief that America wants AF to fail and is against us. They fail to realize the Effects of BHM. They fail to realize that BHM promotes racism, that it is a insult to AF history, and that it stalls social progression and cross-cultural relations. For these reasons we need to abolish BHM.

Abolition does not equal Abolition of our history. There is absolutely nothing wrong with honoring ones roots and history. There is something wrong with reserving that to only one month and harming your entire race by allowing BHM to still exist.

cons case does not stand under scrutiny. Con ignores many portions of my case, since they are unrefuted they still firmly stand with my contentions. For this additional reason and because a pro vote is the only logical response to this debate I ask the voters to vote pro.

Rok

Con

I am seeing some confusion in the points I’ve made. While I admit there were some contradictions there is minor difficulty in my wording since English is not my first language.

I say that blacks endured struggles on the largest scale, meaning there were almost four million black slaves before abolition which equaled about 10% of the total American population. I do not mean their struggle was the most painful or difficult, nor do I mean no other group of people had their struggles.

I do not wish to make a spiel about everything my opponent has brought up, it begins to stray from the topic. Again I would like to say that Black History Month is not Slave History Month.

My opponent says and questions why other groups of people don’t have a “month”. With a little research we can find that other groups of people actually do have months or a day remembering their history.

So the problem is not with Black History Month but with how people interpret it.

My opponent agrees Black History Month was created to teach about the history of blacks in America. So what is this debate about?

My opponent believes that Black History Month promotes racism and hatred towards caucasians. Prove this. When I see things about black history I don’t feel anger nor hatred towards anyone. I can say that I’m proud that those people endured those struggles and fought for their freedom. Abolition was one of the biggest changes in American History. According to my opponent Black History Month has only made blacks have increased hatred towards others. How?

My opponent says: “There is absolutely nothing wrong with honoring one’s roots and history. There is something wrong with reserving that to only one month”. Black History is taught at all times of the year. Black History Month, once again, is only meant to emphasize this history.

About the Arab Slave trade… The Arab slave trade still sold blacks to Americans. We do not know where all slaves came from, that is why I say it is not pressing. Mostly black slaves were traded.

I have chosen to ignore much of what my opponent has said because I feel it is not relevant. What is wrong with Black History Month? “It is an injustice to other cultures and African Americans, it promotes racism, it separates African-Americans as Americans.” I have yet to see proof of this. Other cultures indeed do have a time of year where they remember their history.

Slavery is a main point of Black History Month because most of American history blacks were slaves. Should that main portion be cut out of black history? One may view slavery in America in two ways, whites are evil and enslaved blacks or blacks are a strong people who struggled for their freedom and prevailed. I choose to see it the way it was intended, in a positive way.

Every group of people in America has a different history, but those different histories collectively make American history. There is no problem emphasizing the teachings of black history as they indeed have suffered on the largest scale. The black struggle resulted in many deaths. Blacks were the main targets of much racism and prejudice in American history and still are. We can not honestly say that black history is so simple it does not need to be emphasized.
frozen_eclipse

Pro

I will finish refutation this round.

Con obviously concedes to his contradictions then continues to purport some. For instance, him saying blacks endured struggles on the largest scale.

That statement is so very wrong and in is the result of the racism that BHM breeds, the entitlement as well. All I need to do to defeat this contention is mention the Native Americans we just about exterminated, The Indians were slaved and killed while the AF were enslaved.Also I'm not speaking about before abolition I'm talking about Americas history in its entirety. No race can say I struggled most in this nations history across all of its time of existing. That is ludicrous.

con moves on to say he doesn't want to dispute many parts of my case. Therefore he concedes to those parts.

My opponent says other cultures have a month and provides a bad source. Everyone knows that wikipedia alone is not a reliable or credible source by itself since anyone can add what they want. I want to add that even if other cultures had a official month recognized by the American government, that does not mean it is ok. That would be following the logic of the bandwagon fallacy.

Here's a false assumption con makes about me, "My opponent agrees Black History Month was created to teach about the history of blacks in America. So what is this debate about?"

BHM was intended to educate America of the contributions African Americans had in American society, I don't agree it was meant to teach the history of blacks in America because if your talking about a AF while referring to one as black you sir are making a racist remark do to the fact that most African Americans do not match the color black on their skin. He also seems to be confused on what this resolution is. I encourage him to look next to resolved at the top of this debate in orange letters.

How does BHM promote racism you ask?
Well, lets see during BHM African Americans see themselves as separate from America, which con agrees with because he said so earlier.( so really he has proven the racism himself) if you ask a African American should there be a white history month during BHM they will say no because they hate that we talk about it all year (they only see it that way because Caucasian contributions to American history isn't separate like AF considers themselves).op

http://thoughtcatalog.com...

When you read this article it screams hatred towards caucasians to me.

Equality means, "of the same value" by allowing a month to be dedicated to any race is not congruent to any ideals of equality. We've allowed to become biased. The bias says, for this month any other culture that's built America isn't important as AF history. That is racial inequality promoted by BHM. AF may not see it that way but the rest of America sees the racism and entitlement. It needs to stop for the sake of equality in America.

I believe this refutation is sufficient since con concedes most of his case and I have have addressed the rest of his concerns last round and will summarize any others next round. Let me remind con that next round is the summarization which means no new contentions.

Rok

Con

I don't care enough to read my oponent's reply. He will begin by explaing what my "intentions" were then spout nonsense for the rest of his post.
Posted by Sfaulkner 2 years ago
Sfaulkner
Even Morgan Freeman thinks it should be abolished. If we continue labeling people as "black" or "white" racism, in an almost undetectable form, will grow.
Posted by frozen_eclipse 3 years ago
frozen_eclipse
Also I am so sick of africans thinking and actually saying that they suffered the most oppression in america. How dare you. I mean really?
Posted by frozen_eclipse 3 years ago
frozen_eclipse
No the simple solution is not allowing african history to be considered seperate..... society has aknowledged the history of other races and their contributions to this country. Africans allow themselves to be considered seperate via BHM.

As shukree hassan tillman said, " isnt segregation by month still segregation."

Carter G Woodson one of the men who encouraged BHM celebration wanted to inform others of african american history and contributions to america. He didnt do this in justnone month he did it whenever it was needed...., thus again african americans allow themselves injustice by not following his example....

they also allow themselves to still be called black.......unless your the collor note of tar none of you are black. You are african americans people......same goes for white people. You are not a color
Posted by 2Sense 3 years ago
2Sense
And yes, it is true. Black history, ironically but logically, is not just about black people. The efforts and victories made by black people were influenced by the societal context surrounding their situation. Meaning, other races were in fact involved in the outcome of black history. Some of this involvement was negative, some of it was positive (that's what is celebrated), but they're all still part of black history.

Black history as it is known will eventually evolve into another everyday part of American history, but unfortunately, society is not yet at the point of fully acknowledging the contributions and histories of other cultures in this country. The more it is acknowledged, the more it will become normalized, and that can't happen without months like BHM that puts that information on the table in the first place.
Posted by 2Sense 3 years ago
2Sense
@frozen_eclipse

Exactly what is the potential damage in recognizing other cultural groups' contributions to history?
Posted by frozen_eclipse 3 years ago
frozen_eclipse
Exist......my veiws and response to this is in my case
Posted by frozen_eclipse 3 years ago
frozen_eclipse
celebrates other groups......that is so not true......yes there are months that celebrate other cultures...those shouldnt exiat either
Posted by 2Sense 3 years ago
2Sense
@frozen_eclipse

I really question your actual knowledge of the origin of the month and its intentions. Black History Month is NOT only about the struggles of slavery. Black history month acknowledges the struggles AND achievements that African Americans experienced. Also keep in mind that BHM does not just celebrate black people, but other groups who were involved in African American milestones such as civil rights movements. It's a month that celebrates a significant part of human history that isn't usually focused on in day to day living. It's important because the month brings out facts, events, and ideas that people don't usually think about and wouldn't think about if not for its existence. Also, there are other months that celebrate other cultures as well, not just African Americans.
Posted by frozen_eclipse 3 years ago
frozen_eclipse
What do I want?....I want it to not exist!...it never should have existed in the first place. African Americans are not the only people to struggle through slavery......should we then have slavery day instead?....I mean thats truely what its all about...the struggle of slavery and empowerment of those slaves......why cant we have white, asian, jewish,mexican, cuban, north korean, or native american history month?......most african americans say we should never have white history , month....please realize this...the europeans enslaved us....by they also freed us from the rest of the world........so....the hatred and all this bs about the...quote "white man having the upper hand is all bull"........so african americans I say to you get over it and move on......
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
It's already the shortest month of the year what else do you want.
Vote Placed by AdamKG 3 years ago
AdamKG
frozen_eclipseRokTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had slightly better sourcing and argument. Con seemed to give up at the end of the debate. This debate started off interesting, but then started to deteriorate as both sides' arguments started getting poorer and they gradually started to lose good conduct. Pro's arguments were overall better and made better points while con made foolish, undefendable statements such as saying African Americans apparently suffered more than other races (some Native Americans would probably strongly disagree).