Layne-vs-Kagan
Itsallovernow

resolved: debaters should believe what they say

Layne-vs-Kagan

Con

to start, ask me questions (in this first round) and I'll answer them. Also, I just want to say that I don't necessarily believe what I say in this debate. Finally, I'd like to say I'm a CX debater so, other policy debaters, you might have fun with this
Itsallovernow

Pro

Thank you for this debate. I believe the resolution is forthright, and it can not be subjected to semantical arguments, for it is the premise of this debate. If my opponent answers no to any of these, I ask that he elaborate in numerical order.

1. Do you not agree that debates are based on logical/reasonable facts?
2. If the premise and purpose of debate is based on facts, what grounds would the debater have to disbelieve what they say?
3. If the person is operating off of lies or nonfactual claims, would not the purpose and meaning of debate be lost, losing it's definiton and purpose?

My contentions are centered around the fact that while a debater may not agree with what is being said or the position they're defending (such as lawyers), what they say in order to satisfy the definiton of debate must be fact, which is based upon knowledge. If they do use facts to lucidate truth based on such factual evidence, then there is no possible way that they can disbelieve the facts that they know and say.

If they lie, that does not satisfy the definiton of a debate, and it is not a debate. Therefore, it does not apply.

CONCLUSION

With the above points, I invite my opponents questions as long as he effectively and to reasonable satisfaction answers mine.

DEFINITIONS:

1. Debate- To engage in a formal discussion or argument. (http://www.answers.com...)
2. Argue- to present reasons for or against a thing: He argued in favor of capital punishment. ( dictionary.reference.com/browse/argue )

NOTES:

A) Since no definitons were offered in the first round, these definitions will be the ones operated on in the debate, due to the impracticality of offering definitions in subsequent rounds. This is to better define the resolution and ensure a clear communication based from an unbiased source. The definitions can not be altered to change the resolution, and are exclusive to the links in which they are associated with.
B) Debate is inclusive only to the actions of the debators. Outside sources, such as judges etc. have no weight or relevance in the personal beliefs of the debators, to which the resolution is exclusive thereto.
Layne-vs-Kagan

Con

Layne-vs-Kagan forfeited this round.
Itsallovernow

Pro

My opponent has forfieted the round. My arguments are extended.
Layne-vs-Kagan

Con

Layne-vs-Kagan forfeited this round.
Itsallovernow

Pro

Itsallovernow forfeited this round.
Layne-vs-Kagan

Con

Layne-vs-Kagan forfeited this round.
Itsallovernow

Pro

Itsallovernow forfeited this round.
Layne-vs-Kagan

Con

Layne-vs-Kagan forfeited this round.
Itsallovernow

Pro

Itsallovernow forfeited this round.
Posted by Itsallovernow 4 years ago
Itsallovernow
*then it would grow, since it was not accurate that it did not grow in an instant.
Posted by Itsallovernow 4 years ago
Itsallovernow
How about this on the Pinnochio scenerio. "Now" identifies an instant, the shortest unit of time. If in that instant it doesn't grow it would grow after he said it. Even if it's 0.000001 seconds afterwards.
Posted by unitedandy 4 years ago
unitedandy
I'd take this, but 5 rounds seems a bit much. Also, I'm unsure what you mean when you ask a potential challenger to ask questions. Questions about what? The parametres of the debate seems pretty straightforward to me, so I would think all it would take would be for someone to make their case, without having to clarify anything.
Posted by Beachgirly 4 years ago
Beachgirly
so play ugh i would have took you up on this if you were pro because my only rebuttal would be Debaters Play The Devils Advocate!
Posted by Oldfrith 4 years ago
Oldfrith
It's more like this: with me, whenever I walk into a round, all ideas I have about a topic are replaced by an intense, buning passion for whatever side I'm about to debate, and that makes me believe it.
Posted by harmurph1 4 years ago
harmurph1
IFLY - It would be a lie. For the man to always lie the statement "i always lie" would have to be both incorrect and true. However, just because he can't always lie doesn't mean he has to tell the truth all the time. To tell the truth he would have to say "i sometimes lie". UNMINDFUCKED
Posted by Buddamoose 4 years ago
Buddamoose
2A- Its not a prediction, hes saying his nose will grow
NOW." The statement is then false, so his nose grows, but then that just makes his statement true, so his nose shouldnt of grown... Essentially pinnochio saying "my nose grows now is the same as saying, "This statement is false." So it must be false, but if it is false that means its true, but if its true it has to be false, and thus it gets repeated ad nauseum. Also the einsteins of relativity shows that all events in spacetime(past, present, future) occur simultaneously. REPARAD- WAIT

1A- Who said this? Oh dear Lord, theres been a lea- I mean, LIES, ALL LIESSSS.
Posted by TheDiabolicDebater 4 years ago
TheDiabolicDebater
I was hoping you would be pro, then I would have accepted. Sigh.
Posted by IFLYHIGH 4 years ago
IFLYHIGH
I've heard two answers to this before(On yahoo answers)

1)A secretive international organization would send a sniper to dispose of Pinocchio, due to the fact he found a breach in the security of truth and false. He would either be captured and become an agent of lies, or be a tortured by impaling him on a sharp triangle through his ***. LOL

2)A prediction is neither a truth or a lie, regardless of whether it turns out to be a right or wrong prediction later. You can't lie about an event that hasn't occurred so nothing will happen. UNPARDOXED
Posted by Buddamoose 4 years ago
Buddamoose
Lying is something that we just inheretly do it seems. The truth? The truth we have to have trained into us until our first instinct is no longer to lie.

Lol IFLY total mindfreak. Heres another, what would happen if pinnochio said, "my
nose grows now?" PARADOXED