ouroborus
Nails

resolved economic sanctions ought not be used to achieve foreign policy objectives

Nails

ouroborus

Con

i would request that the following debate be in Lincoln Douglas format with the exception of the negative beginning the argument

God is dead, god remains dead and we have killed him. - Nietzsche. The death of God is a way of saying that humans are no longer able to believe in any such cosmic order since they themselves no longer recognize it. The death of God will lead, Nietzsche says, not only to the rejection of a belief of cosmic or physical order but also to a rejection of absolute values themselves — to the rejection of belief in an objective and universal moral law, binding upon all individuals. This may seem like a bad thing at first glance yet the only reason someone would view this as bad is because they have been blinded, like many others, by the traditional views of modernistic philosophy and religion. What one must understand is that God and the church are not the center of town anymore, but more importantly aren't the center of peoples thinking. The oppressive religious states, which have dictated every aspect of their followers lives, and the endless parade of philosophers who have for eons debated the existence of god, have erroneously supposed and imposed morality. Many philosophical proofs have been made for god, and a few have been made against him, mainly on the bases of the existence of evil. The statement "God is dead" is not a celebratory call, merely a statement of fact. It is not only because there is no greater good in life, but in fact no good at all, that we must go beyond good and evil to understand my point. The only reason you value morals or life or quality of life is because you think life is the greatest good or ultimate goal. This is not the case. More over this is merely a primal trait passed down from our animal ancestors. The value of life is falsely synthesized from a primal instinct to survive. There is no meaning to life because there are no morals or metaphysical truths. In this manner, the loss of an absolute basis for morality leads to nihilism and therefore I hold my core value to be a correct ontological view. Ontology is the philosophical study of the nature of being, existence or reality in general. So in correctly viewing our existence in light of the non existence of metaphysics, death becomes the only logical end to a life without point. Therefore I hold my value criteria to be the will to power. The will to power describes what is the driving force behind man is in light of god's death; achievement, ambition, and the striving to reach the highest possible position in life. In other words one can perfect and transcend the self though the use of creative power. Recall I said death becomes the only logical end to a life without point, so therefore it is up to us to make a point for ourselves otherwise suffering and joy are meaningless and life is a worthless exercise. By using this personal drive, this will to power, we can then correctly understand ourselves in relation to the world and others. I therefore negate today's resolution and hold that economic sanction ought to be used to achieve foreign policy objectives.
Economic sanctions are domestic penalties applied by one country (or group of countries) on another for a variety of reasons. Economic sanctions include, but are not limited to, tariffs, trade barriers, import duties, and import or export quotas. Ought used to indicate duty or correctness. Not used to create a negative used utilized implemented achieve To perform or carry out with success; accomplish. See foreign policy The diplomatic policy of a nation in its interactions with other nations.
C: if correctly imposed economic sanction will lead to starvation which can motivate countries into action
W: "US epidemiologist Richard Garfield's estimate that over 200,000 children have died in Iraq as a result of the comprehensive economic sanctions laid on that country over the past decade." – Future of Sanctions Report
"[Due to economic sanctions], about 800,000 children under the age of five are 'chronically malnourished'. (Chronic malnutrition can lead to lifelong mental and physical stunting.)" - World Health Organization
"[Due to economic sanctions] Death rates for babies less than a year old have more than doubled, as have death rates for under-fives (comparing 1984-1989 with 1994-1999)." –UNICEF
Sanctions can affect the population in many ways. Drug distribution in states subject to sanction is a big problem. One of the main concerns is the safety of the people involved. This has been seen in Uganda where a military helicopter opened fire on thousands of civilians gathered at a UN drug deal distribution site or the case where a United Nations World Drug Program worker was shot and killed. Another issue is the access that the people have to the Drug distribution.
Yasmine Bahrani, whose family lives in iran, reports that the people of that country have had difficulty getting medicine since the U.S.-led United Nations imposed sanctions after the invasion of blackville. Here's the irony: drugs are good. But the sanctions have so reduced incomes that people cannot afford them. The impoverishment of the Iraqi society has led to bad sanitary conditions and an increase in Jew to Jew violence. So much for the drug lords attempt to thwart the U.S.
I: Magnitude: 200,000 died in Iraq from lack of medication
Probability: History show a constant pattern of ineffective and destructive ES High likely hood
L: by exercising our own economic power we can strive to the highest possible position in life despite the constraints most systems of morals would put on uses of such methods
2) C: economic sanctions are more efficient than military action.
W: economic sanctions are less costly than war To date, $830.2 billion dollars have been allocated to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
If properly, applied ES can achieve FPO in a shorter amount of time than if war was declared. The only limits governments put on their sanction have a moral bases. They try to prevent utter starvation and annihilation. If we abandon this ridiculous notion of limiting ES, and cut of industrial and domestic supplies to a country in totality their economy would collapse and population be decimated
I: rather than a costly camp, in money and time, the same results can be achieved through a simpler means.
L: this illustrates how though economic means our ambition can come to fruition so we can achieve the highest point in life

conclusion: economic sanction have valid justification in regards to achieving foreign policy.
Nails

Pro

Cross-Examination

1. What exactly does the long paragraph about Friedrich Nietzche say? Simply that we should do what best benefits us? I would be particularly interest in a summary in your own words (I'm not sure if the above is your own words or not.) What is the implication of this argument? That we have no moral standards by which to act? That we need not care about others?

2. Nietzche seems to suppose that we have no higher obligations because a higher power doesn't exist. Would showing that a high power (ie. God) does probably exist sufficiently rebut your case?

3. What do all of those single letter abbreviations (such as 'C:') mean and why are they relevant?

4.Does showing sanctions to be ineffective/counter-productive sufficiently rebut the case?
ouroborus

Con

ouroborus forfeited this round.
Nails

Pro

Hopefully he can answer my questions next round.
ouroborus

Con

ouroborus forfeited this round.
ouroborus

Con

ouroborus forfeited this round.
Nails

Pro

CON's profile picture is creepy.
ouroborus

Con

ouroborus forfeited this round.
Posted by ouroborus 6 years ago
ouroborus
I Apologize for defaulting on this debate. I have been in a mental health institution since dec. 29 and was just released last week. I apologize for wasting your time and hope we could perhaps try this again. i looked forward t your argument.

P.S. while i was committed my fried won 2 ld rounds with this case wich i allowed him to use.
Posted by Nails 6 years ago
Nails
I wish he hadn't forfeited. I had a great argument in store.
Posted by Zetsubou 6 years ago
Zetsubou
If he had continued his argument, this would be my favorite debate.

I just love how the first 4/10 of the argument is written.
Posted by Zetsubou 6 years ago
Zetsubou
The Gay Science, I have never laugh no much with a book.

Well, thats not true... but it's hard to agree with him.
Posted by wonderwoman 6 years ago
wonderwoman
lamezor and i dont like how u ran neitzche i dont think u did a very good job
Posted by Johnicle 6 years ago
Johnicle
5 rounds is too many... I have yet to see a thouroughly debated 5 rounder
Posted by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
No.

Ps. Ladies and gents, expect to see this resolution pop up a lot more now that it's the new HS debate topic and people come here to have us write their arguments for them :)
Vote Placed by Nails 6 years ago
Nails
ouroborusNailsTied