philosphical
Nathan.fraly

resolved: the proper judgement for a missing assignment is for the child to re-do the assignment

Con Tied Pro

philosphical

Con

ok this is another debate where i would PLEASE like to be informed about whether you want to be con or pro before accepting, so i have time to make my first argument.

if you don't understand the resolution, here's a brief analysis:
When a student claims that he/she turned in an assignment, but the teacher cannot find it, is it more proper for the student to re-do the assignment, or for the teacher to excuse the student from the assignment? please post in comments box whether or not you wish to be pro or con before accepting
Nathan.fraly

Pro

Sorry... clicked accept without reading your first post. I'll leave my post at this to make sure that we get the same number of posts. Sorry for anyone that wanted to take this debate.
philosphical

Con

Its ok :) thankyou for accepting and for allowing me the oppurtunity to permit my first argument. well i guess since i am already signed up to be con, i will be against the resolution.

I negate the resolution resolved: the proper judgement for a missing assignment is for the student (correction from child) to re-do the assignment.

I am on who is a strong believer in justice, And i believe that justice should be served to keep all things fair.
Therefor, my value for the round will be judgement.

I am also a strong believer in responsibility, and i believe that every one should be accountable for that which they commit to. I think responsibility plays a big role in maintaining justice, so my criteria for the round shall be responsibility.

contention 1:
There is many cases in school where a student may finish a worksheet or assignment and turn it in, however the worksheet gets lost before grading can be done, and there arises a situation. Both sides then need to come up with an agreement, and this is where things get a little sticky. Obviously the student after spending time on the assignment, does not want to have to do it again. The teacher's point of view is that he/she does not want to be unfair with the other students and just grant the student with an excused grade. I think that the student should be excused from the assignment, because after all the time the student has put into the work, it really isn't fair that he/she should have to do it all over again, because the teacher has misplaced the assignment. the second the paper left the students hands, and into the teachers posession, it is the teachers responsibility to make sure that the assignment gets graded properly. Just because it has gone missing does not mean that the student didn't spend just as much time on the worksheet as the teacher did. So, is it then just to make the student do extra work? No, the student should be granted an excuse seeing as it his not his fault the assignment didn't get turned in properly.

Contention 2:
now there is also the common situation in which it is not the teachers fault that the assignment got misplaced. maybe someone else took it, or the TA's misplaced it, or something else that the teacher had not known of happened. So in this case, is it still okay to make the student re-do the assignment? No, because although it wasn't the teachers fault that the students paper was misplaced, it wasn't the students' either. Thus it is only fair that since the student fulfilled his/her responsibility of completing the assignment and turning it in, he should be given an excuse on the assignment. Now lets say the student makes a mistake, and turns it into the wrong basket, or something else; is it the students fault? in this case the answer yes. The students responsibility is to turn it into the right place at the right time.

Contention 3:
Now one of the main problems that we face here is whether the students is lying or not about turning in the particular assignment. The teacher has to grade probably hundreds of assignments a day and most likely wouldn't remember seeing him/her turning into the assignment. This is where it gets tricky, because the teacher doesn't want to be handing out un-fair grades. But also the teacher can't prove that the student is lying. So this can be seen un-just on both sides. But that doesn't mean that there isn't other options.
If the problem occurs with the student multiple times, it can be resolved by having the student do the work on the library computers where he/she can save their work. And their are many more options at hand to. But either way having a student do more work then their supposed is wrong and un-just and it is for these reasons i urge you, the voters and the jury to vote con. thankyou :)
-philosophical
Nathan.fraly

Pro

Nathan.fraly forfeited this round.
philosphical

Con

as of the moment i will wait for my opponents response.

philosophical forfeits this round
Nathan.fraly

Pro

Nathan.fraly forfeited this round.
Posted by philosphical 8 years ago
philosphical
i guess we didnt get to debate after all :/
Posted by philosphical 8 years ago
philosphical
after this just tell me whether you would like to be con or pro
Posted by philosphical 8 years ago
philosphical
i will debate you two on this also
Posted by alto2osu 8 years ago
alto2osu
Same here. Logic has first dibs, though :) As a teacher, I can see this going either way...
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
I'll take the debate, but I don't care about whether I'm CON or PRO. You pick.
Vote Placed by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
philosphicalNathan.fralyTied
Vote Placed by trivea 8 years ago
trivea
philosphicalNathan.fralyTied
Vote Placed by philosphical 8 years ago
philosphical
philosphicalNathan.fralyTied
Vote Placed by sherlockmethod 8 years ago
sherlockmethod
philosphicalNathan.fralyTied
Vote Placed by Nathan.fraly 8 years ago
Nathan.fraly
philosphicalNathan.fralyTied