teddy_bear241
Aietius

school attendence should be voluntary

Con Tied Pro

teddy_bear241

Con

School attendence should be voluntary because kids who don't go to school will do crimes and it will grow rapidly. The tax will increase because the government would have to pay for the activities. Without education, people cannot get jobs which makes them rob to survive. Moreover, kids do not know the purpose in their lives which leads to suicide. Attending school would make the students concentrate on their studies and succeed in life but without education, they will be in big trouble later in their life. Also, there would be lower level class not as big as the higher class. This will lead to a huge gap. Kids cannot make their own decisions so they realize that they don't have education later in the future. They become and idiot.
Aietius

Pro

Thank you, TeddyBear, for this debate. It's an interesting topic and I've never thought of advocating for voluntary school. In the interest of clarification 'm just goint to assume that you initial statement, "School attendance should be voluntary," was actually supposed to be "School attendance should not be voluntary." You are the Con and the resolution states that it should be voluntary.

Or perhaps you meant should and you just forfeited the debate. This is cool, too. But of course I will present my argument in the interest of a lively and spirited debate.

In the interest of clarity I would like to point out that the resolution states that "school attendance" should be voluntary. What this entails is that we are debating whether or not students should have to attend a specific sanctioned building that is considered a school, public or private. I'll show why this is significant in a moment.

I will start with an articulated argument as to why school attendance being voluntary would be a good thing. In any discussion of school, what we are inherently valuing is societal welfare; indeed, the purpose of school, much like all other government-operated functions, is to promote the general welfare of society as a whole. Therefore, if I can demonstrate that school being voluntary would promote the welfare of society, then you should vote pro.

My first contention is that school being voluntary would not necessarily lead to drastically lower attendance. In fact, school IS voluntary for students when they reach the age of 16. However, school dropout rates are very low; a recent study of public high schools in the Northeast showed that no more than a fraction of 1% of all students actually drop out of high school without returning shortly after. Students are still motivated to pursue their education even when they are not forced to by the government.

Furthermore, students drop out of school at 16 often to pursue jobs. In many situations it is to provide a supplementary income for the student's family; perhaps she is from a single-family home, or maybe her parents are sick and unable to work. If this student was unable to drop out of school and pursue work, perhaps her family would fall apport and she would be placed into custody of the government. As such, societal welfare would not be upheld.

Following this train of thought, students may wish to drop out of school temporarily to pursue more beneficial prospects. Young actors, for instance, might choose to drop out of school at 12 to pursue a career, while supplementing their lack of formal schooling with tutoring and home-schooling.

Finally, we are debating school attendance, like at a public or private school. What my opponenent fails to acknowledge is that home-schooling and private tutoring can be just as effective, if not more effective, than going to the classroom. My making school attendance mandatory, we make home-schooling and private tutoring impossible, even if it might be a better system of education.

I will now proceed to rebut the arguments of my opponent.

For the sake of clarity I'll just list out his arguments in rough numerical order.

1. Teddy begins his argument by stating that "kids who don't go to school will do crimes." This is an erroneous assumption, one with no evidence and no base. In fact, one could argue that crime might increase if students who would otherwise have brough in an income for their family instead had to resort to petty robbery to supplement income.

2. My opponent's second argument is that taxes would increase because "the government would have to pay for the activities." First of all, what "activities" is he referring to? This statement, like the rest of his case, is ambiguous and ill-defined. Furthermore, I would argue that the contrary is true: by making school attendance mandatory, those students who had been working or were home-schooled would instead have to attend public schools, schools which the government would have to pay for. Not only that, but those families that would collapse without the extra income of working teenagers would then have to be supported by the government through social welfare programs.

3. My opponent also makes the argument that without education, people would find it hard to find good jobs and would have to resort to crime to survive. I do not disagree with this, but I think that students would not dropout in droves if school attendance were made voluntary. I'll cite the evidence I gave earlier that only a fraction of students over 16 actually do drop out. Also, if we made school attendance mandatory then home-schooling wouldn't be an option, arguably giving many children a poorer education, leading, as my opponent stipulates, to an increase in crime.

4. Teddy states that without schooling, kids would not know the "purpose in their lives," which would lead to suicide. This is a ridiculous and baseless assumption. It is not the job of schools to give kids "purpose in their lives," anyway.

5. His fifth argument is that there would somehow become a class-structure if school were voluntary. This assumption has no evidence and there is no logical connection.

I hope to have an interesting discussion. Your turn, Teddy =D
teddy_bear241

Con

teddy_bear241 forfeited this round.
Aietius

Pro

=( Opponent having no response really blows. I thought we could have a pretty interesting debate! Oh well . . .
teddy_bear241

Con

teddy_bear241 forfeited this round.
Aietius

Pro

Awww, again, no response =(

Oh well, I mean, I guess hooray because I won? The only problem I have with this site is that some people just ditch debates.
Posted by Johnny3Tears 6 years ago
Johnny3Tears
Do any of you have sources for this debate?
Posted by orville 9 years ago
orville
nice job tius..^_^ let me first state my opinion of te raised issue.. it`s actually a pretty interesting debate that your opponent, teddy raised.. however, he seemed to be very obfuscated primarily on the side he`ll be in.. attending school should and must be voluntary.. or for some families, they just don`t have much of a choice for many factors involve, including the most obvious which is money.. however, there are public shools that are for free.. but does this still diminish the dilemma of a family which has an income appropriate only to their basic needs? of course not.. there will still be PTAs and other projects that would demand money and evidently, in a family of low income, or an income appropriate only for their basic needs, this is vividly unappliclable.. i think a question like that should`ve been raised by teddy, that way, this deabte would`ve been a more interesting as it already is.. i commend the con for raising it.. but nevertheless do i give huge props to tius for not only making good points, but for stating a very vivid argument.. i give this round to the PRO.. nice job man..
Posted by DrAlexander 9 years ago
DrAlexander
I think that if school were to be voluntary that would increase tensions between the parent and kids. Plus i believe EVERYONE should, at the very least get up to a 9th grade education. I just want a smarter America :D
Posted by elphaba1389 9 years ago
elphaba1389
i think that school attendance should be voluntary. At my high school, for me to simply check out because I feel bad requires an act of congress. I'm 18 years old, and an AP student, so if I feel bad then I don't think I need to sit in the office and wait for my mom's permission to drive my car home.

Also, I live in Alabama and there are A LOT of kids who would much rather be somewhere else, other than school. And that's discouraging to the teachers that put all their time and effort to teaching. I think that if you truly want an education, than that is your choice. Those who don't want one will suffer later on. It's a simply sense of responsibility and planning. College isn't mandatory, that's why colleges are so tough on their students. Because you chose to be there, no one forced you to, so you should be ready to do the work.

Looks like an interesting arguement. I'll make my final vote when it's over =)
Vote Placed by bexy_kelly 9 years ago
bexy_kelly
teddy_bear241AietiusTied
Vote Placed by WeaponE 9 years ago
WeaponE
teddy_bear241AietiusTied
Vote Placed by orville 9 years ago
orville
teddy_bear241AietiusTied
Vote Placed by DrAlexander 9 years ago
DrAlexander
teddy_bear241AietiusTied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
teddy_bear241AietiusTied
Vote Placed by Converge 9 years ago
Converge
teddy_bear241AietiusTied
Vote Placed by SportsGuru 9 years ago
SportsGuru
teddy_bear241AietiusTied
Vote Placed by candice 9 years ago
candice
teddy_bear241AietiusTied
Vote Placed by left_wing_mormon 9 years ago
left_wing_mormon
teddy_bear241AietiusTied
Vote Placed by Jokerdude 9 years ago
Jokerdude
teddy_bear241AietiusTied