bonitaco05
NOTHISISPATRICK

school needs to be shorter

bonitaco05 has forfeited round #2.

bonitaco05

Pro

The period people go to school can be told as the most important period of life.
During the puberty, they form values and relationship with people.
Many of them feel unstable and can get crooked, too.
Therefore, they need to spend more time and communicate with family so that they can feel their love.
Also, a family can be the best friend to talk their mind with.
And the school is taking the time to spend with family.
Contrary to the concentration of students, the class time is too long.
Many students seem to be capacity on following the whole class.
Since they have a problem concentrating the class, they feel bored.
Also, it can be connected to the increase of stress.
With a lot of stress and low production, it is better to spend the time on their personal progress.
NOTHISISPATRICK

Con

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for allowing me to debate against you on the topic of school needing to be shorter. I am currently a Sophomore student and personally, I am on the fence about the topic as a whole. If it is okay with you, I would like to post my comments and questions before and after my paragraphs in order to cross examine different claims and strengthen my case while digging deeper for information on your side.

From Pre-K, to Elementary school and Middle School, all the way through High School into your College days, school has been all you have truly known. As a student, we often-times get the biased view on how "school days are too long and the classes are pointless," but we forget the main purpose of school; to form our future, successful members of society. While days are seen as long, they are only 6.7 hours on average. The issue is not how long the educational teachings run, but the time we begin the classes. In an article posted by the University of Rochster's Medical Center on the effects of depression and anxiety of adolescents, it was observed that "Teenagers with school starting times before 8:30 a.m. may be at particular risk of experiencing depression and anxiety due to compromised sleep quality..." Many school districts, such as the Hillsborough County School District in Florida, have begun to adopt the revised schedules in which school times were moved to 8:30am while keeping the same duration from the morning bell to the dismissal bell at the end of the day. The issue with shortening a school day is the trouble of preparing for standardized tests and making sure students have retained new information without ample repetition to ensure all students have memorized key information.

Questions for you:
- In what way will you modify schedules and ensure the success of students in the long run?
- Are there any studies that have brought about the results of schools and puberty being linked to students being unstable and crooked?
- Do you have concrete evidence to support claims of school times being too long, or is the argument based on biased views from former and current students who may have failed to see the importance of our school system?