aider
Lexicaholic

school uniforms

Lexicaholic

aider

Con

students should not have to wear uniforms, because they get no chance to show their personality, and the students hate them.
Lexicaholic

Pro

Introduction and Resolution

Resolution Summary: Students should wear school uniforms when attending compulsory educational courses because (1) school uniforms reduce peer pressure and (2) consequently improve the educational environment.

Greetings, Debate. org. As the Pro side of this debate, it is left to me to propound a resolution in response to my opponent's claims that students should not wear school uniforms. My opponent has suggested that school uniforms should not be adopted because (1) students don't like them and (2) school uniforms suppress expressions of individuality. I will not debate that students do not like school uniforms - I certainly was never fond of them, and I am sure many of you, who are students, are or were not fond of them as well. I will, however, argue that on balance, the benefits of school uniforms outweigh the perceived negatives of having them. Specifically, it is my contention that, where students are compelled to attend educational courses in an institution of learning, such as those schools supported by the public education systems found throughout the United States, uniforms serve the important purpose of reducing peer pressure and social stigmas, which in turn enhances the learning environment for all students.

Argument

Argument Summary: Studies have shown that students feel less peer pressure when attending schools that enforce a dress code. Consequently, students attend classes more often and focus more on learning than on social prestige. Inducing learning is the primary function of a school. Ergo, dress codes enable schools to better perform their primary function.

A school is "an institution for the teaching of children" for the purposes of this debate, as we will be discussing compulsory education (i.e. education of individuals below the age of majority). http://bit.ly...;. The purpose of the educational programs being utilized within such schools (at least within the United States) is, apparently, "to provide every child with a complete and competitive education that will enable them to succeed in a global economy based on knowledge and innovation." http://1.usa.gov..., emphasis added. Therefore, we can conclude that the primary purpose of a school is to teach children so that they have the knowledge and innovation necessary to succeed in a global economy. A school that fails to teach children for these purposes could be considered, under the relevant criteria, a failure. As no school should want to fail, schools must implement such techniques as are necessary to succeed at the stated goal of teaching children.

Studies have shown that the use of school uniforms increases attendance and improves performance amongst the members of the adopting school's student body. http://bit.ly...;. Generally, every study performed seems to suggest some correlation between the adoption of school uniforms and reduced concern for social standing vis a vis attire. http://bit.ly...;. The reason for such correlation is probably best expressed in this study by Professor Richard Elliot - http://bit.ly...;. Elliot's study found that students perceived clothing as an indicator of social status, and that in some cases violence could actually occur to students perceived as not displaying the proper knowledge of social attire. As the factors implicated in Elliot's study are as much a matter of the American educational system as the British educational system (and as both are examples of compulsory educational programs), it is easy to understand how uniforms can provide the positive benefits they have been shown to produce. In an environment where impoverished students may face peer pressure based upon their limited attire selection, which peer pressure would in turn serve to disrupt their educational experience, it is not surprising that the elimination of attire selection would result in such students more readily attending school. After all, if there is no clear indicator of social status to mark them as outcasts (or to make them feel like outcasts in response to the greater wardrobe of other students), such students would have no reason to fear confrontations beyond those academic and ethical conflicts that arise even amongst a gathering of equals.

This is not to say that reduced self-expression is good. It isn't. It is, however, a small price to pay for the safety, security, and comfort of the student body. In fact, regarding the safety of the student body, uniforms have been shown to help reduce educational difficulties related to students displaying gang-related attire. http://bit.ly...;

In conclusion, students experience a better educational environment in schools that utilize school uniforms. While uniforms may not be appropriate for all educational institutions, to the extent that students are compelled to attend a school environment where negative social interaction based on displays of prestige can be expected to interfere with the students' education, school uniforms should be encouraged.
aider

Con

I will have you know that I am a student, and I have seen schools with uniforms, and most of the kids are jerks. I have said that the kids don't get to show their personality, so they go wild at special events, so there are little or no special events.
Lexicaholic

Pro

My opponent has made several contentions: (1) I am a student, (2) I know uniformed students - I hate them, and (3) uniformed students become so repressed they party too hard when they let loose.

My opponent's arguments represent, respectively:

(1) an appeal to authority. While my opponent may be a student, he is not necessarily every student, nor does his status as a student confer upon him any special abilities to discern the advantages and disadvantages of uniforms; and

(2) & (3) sampling bias. My opponent has not provided carefully scrutinized statistics but rather his own selective sample of a group of uniformed hooligans. These hooligans may not be representative of the entirety of students who wear uniforms. In addition, the earlier mentioned problem with regards to the elimination of raucous parties appears to be no problem at all if the elimination of such parties preserves the safety of the students.

I am sure there are some nice uniform-wearing students in the world, Con. You just need to meet them. Perhaps you could don a uniform and approach them in disguise. If they accept you, the uniforms must be working.

As an aside, I went to a school that had a uniform and a school that had a dress code (elementary and high school, respectively). I don't know about all of the students, but I was an okay enough individual. Methinks uniforms might not be the cause of the issues of which you complain.
aider

Con

aider forfeited this round.
Lexicaholic

Pro

Forfeit noted. Arguments extended.
aider

Con

aider forfeited this round.
Lexicaholic

Pro

Forfeit noted, arguments extended.
aider

Con

aider forfeited this round.
Lexicaholic

Pro

Con has forfeited the debate. My arguments have been extended without rebuttal. Please vote Pro, uniformly.

Posted by Lexicaholic 3 years ago
Lexicaholic
Well, this is a bit frustrating. Just so you know, Con, there is an entirely legitimate argument against school uniforms you could be making, even under my narrow approach to the subject.
Posted by Lexicaholic 3 years ago
Lexicaholic
If it helps, aider, do a Google search for "arguments against school uniforms", then pare down your sources so that you use only the ones which seem supported by empirical evidence or careful analysis.

I know you've represented that you're a student, though I have no idea your age - as a former student, I thought I'd provide some tips, in case your studies have not yet inculcated within you these techniques. ;)
Posted by Lexicaholic 3 years ago
Lexicaholic
Okay. You're up. Get that argument in while you have a chance!
Posted by aider 3 years ago
aider
I forfeited because my dad hogged the computer last night, and I couldn't get on
Posted by Lexicaholic 3 years ago
Lexicaholic
With re: opening statements the last bit.ly address seems to have gone wonky. Here's the URL for the site: http://www.statisticbrain.com... .
Posted by Lexicaholic 3 years ago
Lexicaholic
Lol, I'll take the bait, but not the bet. Pro side incoming.
Posted by aider 3 years ago
aider
I will win, and if i don't, that's a 5$ bill lost
Vote Placed by 1Devilsadvocate 3 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
aiderLexicaholicTied
Reasons for voting decision: F.F.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
aiderLexicaholicTied
Reasons for voting decision: OUCH! FF.