bubbletluv
S.Weekes

selena gomez is a terrible example for young girls!

S.Weekes
Started: 5/3/2014 Category: TV

bubbletluv

Pro

Selena Gomez got her 'lucky' gig on Barney when she was a youngster. Her mom had her when she was only 18!! Selena goes around talking about not to have kids at a young age TO YOUNG KIDS"but kids are not going to take that the right way. Their minds aren't even fully developed. The majority of kids (especially these days) think "oh i wanna have a baby at age 16 and i'll bring him/her to a talent agency and then they can become famous?!" cause what mom wouldn't think their kid isn't cute? I mean look at the kids on the maury show? Selena gomez also lip sings in almost all of her tour performances. There are kids out there who have real talent, and selena isn't one of them.
S.Weekes

Con

I'd like to start by saying that I have no prior knowledge about this topic.

Selena Gomez, from what I can see on Wikipedia, was born into a deprived family. Since that moment her parents worked very hard to raise her in a way in which she respected working hard and giving back. She is a very prominent philanthropist and at no point in her career has she needed to make an indecent video in order to achieve recognition. If anything Ms. Gomez is a shining example for young girls.
bubbletluv

Pro

bubbletluv forfeited this round.
S.Weekes

Con

Just some examples of Selena Gomez's philanthropy:

Gomez was involved in the UR Votes Count campaign which encouraged teenagers to learn more about 2008 presidential candidates Barack Obama and John McCain. In October 2008, Gomez participated in St. Jude's Children's Hospital "Runway For Life" benefit. She is the ambassador of DoSomething.org after being involved with the charity Island Dog, which helps dogs in Puerto Rico. She got involved while filming Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie in Puerto Rico Gomez is also involved with the charity RAISE Hope For Congo, an initiative of the Enough Project, which helps raise awareness about conflict minerals and violence against Congolese women. From 2009 to 2012, Gomez was involved in Disney's Friends for Change, an organization which promotes "environmentally-friendly behavior", and appeared in its public service announcements. Gomez, Demi Lovato, Miley Cyrus, and the Jonas Brothers recorded "Send It On", a charity single with all of its proceeds to the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund It debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at number 20. Also in 2009, Gomez made a surprise visit to a Los Angeles elementary school as part of the "A Day Made Better" program that was sponsored by OfficeMax. During her visit, Gomez gave the school an award and $1,000 worth of school supplies, and talked to students about the importance of giving back to the community. On January 22, 2010, Gomez participated in the Hope for Haiti Now Telethon with a number of other celebrities. In April 2012, Gomez was named ambassador to the Ryan Seacrest Foundation.

How is she not a good example for young girls?

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org...
bubbletluv

Pro

First of all, thank you for replying. Second, most of Selena's charity stems off her movies or networks that she works with. This is because it is more convenient. For example, when Selena was on Disney channel she did a lot of advertising for young teens/children to pay attention and take better care of the environment (and how to eat healthy). The only reason she, and other child celebrities(either on nick or disney) do this is to be in good terms with the public and earn children's trust and love. BUT THAT DOES NOT HIDE THE FACT THAT SHE IS AN INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS TOO MUCH FAME AND BY THAT IS MAKING POOR DECISIONS AND THEREFOR IS A BAD ROLE MODEL FOR CHILDREN. Currently, according to people magazine and TMZ, there are reports of her smoking pot with justin bieber AGAIN! She smokes the most dangerous kinds of cigarettes. If you go on her instagram, you'll see pictures of her in a recording studio smoking a pack of ciggs (which she smokes almost every day). Whenever she goes on talk shows she claims that she does yoga to stay fit, but that's obviously not true"she smokes to stay skinny because when you smoke, food will taste bland and smoking suppresses you from eating. I've tried smoking"it makes you not hungry. and if she does do yoga, she would post pictures on her instagram of her doing yoga instead of her smoking all the time!
S.Weekes

Con

You seem to be forgetting that this is a FACTUAL debate and not a four round slag-off. The FACT of the matter is Selena is successful, She didn't need a sex tape and she didn't need to create a controversy. I don't know if it is jealousy or actual hate but you can't acknowledge this.

Every single one of those films is directed at children and in every single one she plays the good girl. She's philanthropic THROUGH her channel not because of her channel and she's bloody good at it as well. She's done more for charity than you therefor I respect her. I respect the messages she portrays in her films and wouldn't hesitate to let my kids listen to her music and watch her films if they also became such philanthropists.
bubbletluv

Pro

To begin, you do not know how much I gave to my community. She is a celebrity first and foremost, therefore she has the power to influence many people period. So let's stick to the topic. She has time to do all of those things because she can afford to and she is forced to in a way to get in good ends meet with the people like I stated in my last argument if you were reading. It's all a big POPULARITY CONTEST. That's how the celebrity world works. And if i were jealous, I wouldn't be specifying about celebrities in general as well. I am happy with my life and this is a debate not a place to trash talk. I can say the same to you, but again, this is a debate, not a "guess what my opponent does more or less of game." And with the facts, I stated that you could go on her instagram or twitter and read for yourself what she posts. I'm not saying that she will be a bad role model forever. I am just agreeing to the fact that she is in the present moment because of the things she is CURRENTLY doing. TMZ, twitter, instagram, and interviews on youtube are reliable sources"MORE than your wikipedia. Did you know that in wikipedia people can just post up any crap on there? Not everything can even be 100% true. I'm going off things that Selena actually wrote herself! and pictures she took of herself. It seems like you don't get how the actual celebrity world works considering my aunt works in that industry. So are you stating that my claims are false??? Is that why you keep giving me links to wikipedia???
S.Weekes

Con

Next time you go on Wikipedia go down to the bottom of the page. You see those? They're called sources. Have you provided me with a single source? No. The FACT of the matter is: Selena is an adult, if she wants to smoke she has every right to. If she wants to post pictures of her smoking she has every right to. If parents want to prevent there kids from seeing these pictures they have every right to. The characters she portrays in her films and T.V. shows are good role models. Her philanthropy makes her a good role model. Her smoking makes her human.
Vote Placed by Phoenix61397 3 years ago
Phoenix61397
bubbletluvS.WeekesTied
Reasons for voting decision: No facts or sources given by pro.