frankienstien
aburk903

sex ofender registry

aburk903

frankienstien

Con

Recently msn ran a story on the fight against the sex offender list. I was shocked at just might cause one to end up on one. I'll cover a few.

Public urination, while I don't think people should go around peeing in public, it sure as hell doesn't equate a rape or molestation. And the same can be said for most statutory rape offences.
aburk903

Pro

Thanks for the topic, Con. I"m sure this will prove to be an interesting and informative debate.

For the sake of clarity in this debate, let"s agree to define sex offender as "generic term for all persons convicted of crimes involving sex, including rape, molestation, sexual harassment and pornography production or distribution" (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...).

My opponent has stated by his position on this debate that he is against sex offender registry. However, as we see almost immediately in his first round, he only really disagrees with what is considered as a sex crime. There is certainly a large gap between the concept of ensuring sex offenders of my above definition are registered and the flaw in our current legal system"s interpretation of what is a sex crime.

To win this debate, my opponent must show that sex offender registry is intrinsically corrupt, not just that we need minor legal reform.
frankienstien

Con

I have been very busy this week. I'm not able to give this the time it needs at the moment. That said, I will state some things that people might need to look into for themselves. I think answers are available fast by web searching "sex offender registry doesn't work."

We will find common ground in the fact that it might work in limited situations, and with out public knowledge. The public knowledge ends up promoting other crimes as they become alienated.

The registry looses credibility in it's current form. If I can prove someone that pees in public is compared to a violent rapist, then I can get many in the main stream media to think the registration is a joke altogether... And they will be less likely to take the intent of it seriously.
aburk903

Pro

This topic stands nearly exactly where it did in the previous round.

I. Voter are not obligated to search for information on sex offender registry. It is your job as my opponent to present that here, and the voters job to eliminate all personal bias and consider only what is presented in the course of our debate.

II. You concede that it can work in some situations and assert that it often causes additional crimes in its current form, but you offer no sources or alternative options. Therefore, these claims are neither factually or logically considerable at this time.

III. As I previously stated, it is fine that you disagree with what is currently considered as a sex crime, because that does not devalue sex offender registry. Your BOP in this debate is proving that the concept of sex offenders being registered is wrong, not that our current system is flawed. As such, many of your contentions are ultimately concessions.
frankienstien

Con

frankienstien forfeited this round.
aburk903

Pro

My opponent has failed to offer any evidence against my points. From the beginning, his only contention has been with the current definition of what a sex crime is, not the concept of sex offender registry. Vote Pro.
Posted by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
Honestly, I find the argument against sex offender registries to be compelling if given right. Kinda sad to see Con waste the opportunity by making such a basic argument.
Posted by ANONYMOUS2282 2 years ago
ANONYMOUS2282
wo would go against this?
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
frankienstienaburk903Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con should spend some time working on his resolution to insure he's debating the topic he wants to debate. I think he wanted to debate the sex offender registry doesn't work in it's current form. He was supposed to be arguing against the registry, instead he argued that certain people shouldn't be included on it.
Vote Placed by TN05 2 years ago
TN05
frankienstienaburk903Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited, so all votes go to Pro.
Vote Placed by Jonbonbon 2 years ago
Jonbonbon
frankienstienaburk903Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had noticeably bad S&G, most notably in the title. He also forfeited, which counts for the conduct point loss. Also, pro presented arguments that made it to the end of the debate and a source. Con didn't. Thus, pro has earned seven points.
Vote Placed by PotBelliedGeek 2 years ago
PotBelliedGeek
frankienstienaburk903Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not present arguments, and FF'd the debate. All points to pro.
Vote Placed by SeventhProfessor 2 years ago
SeventhProfessor
frankienstienaburk903Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF+Con only expressed reasons to redefine sex offender, not get rid f it entirely (as Pro pointed out)
Vote Placed by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
frankienstienaburk903Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The basis for my vote can be found on multiple points. By the end of the debate, the only one with a solid explanation of what was being discussed was Pro. I'm not certain that Con's case is against sex offender registries as a whole, but as he does not clarify his case, I'm forced to accept Pro's interpretation. I also accept Pro's argument that simply showing problems with current legislation isn't enough, though again I'm uncertain about whether the burden is being skewed here. Without response, I'm forced to accept Pro's interpretation. So without a single piece of offense about why the registries are good, nor a single defensive argument defending current law, Pro has managed to win this debate with just burdens analysis. Conduct also goes to Pro due to the forfeit. Lastly, sources go to Pro, despite the lack thereof. Again, Con dug his own grave here, telling voters to search his arguments for him. I understand that you were short on time, but that warrants a points loss.
Vote Placed by WilliamsP 2 years ago
WilliamsP
frankienstienaburk903Tied
Reasons for voting decision: My RFD is very simple: Con forfeited, Con did not capitalize "MSN", no real arguments were made, and Pro used a source in order to clarify something.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
frankienstienaburk903Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm nulling this vote. The resolution was unclear, and Pro's attempt to strongarm Con into his interpretation of the resolution flew in the face of Con's R1 that was up prior to Pro's acceptance and seemed conduct-worthy. But Con forfeited, which is definitely conduct-worthy. As this debate never really got off the ground, I can't award arguments, either. I will say that Pro's point to Con about making his own arguments is entirely valid.