xxx00
wrichcirw

sex tourism is great opportunity

wrichcirw

xxx00

Pro

sex tourism is the practice of having sex when traveling. often beautiful sexy prostitutes are hired to please the tourist. this practice prevails most part of south east Asia.

i will argue that sex tourism is ok. con will argue it is not ok.

first round acceptance only.
wrichcirw

Con

Thanks xxx00 for hosting this debate. Seems kinda racey. Should be interesting.

Accept.
xxx00

Pro

before telling that sex tourism will benefit the economy i want to tell how and why sex tourism will benefit the country:

sex tourism acts as a competitive advantage to the players of tourism industry which has tough competition. everybody offers “tourism” but you offer “sex + tourism”, so one additional value “sex” which is attractive to everyone, will attract people. sound logic, isn’t it?

now the result of sex tourism:

1. sex tourism increase tourist traffic in a country. it attracts people like nothing and tourists come to the country. thus it increases the flow of foreign currency fund into the country.

2. since sex tourism increases tourist traffic into a country, it helps develop tourism industry which in turn create more jobs in the country.

3. since sex tourism develops tourism industry, the industries that are ancillary to the tourism industry will also be developed. industries like: hotel, motel, train, airways, theme park, entertainment park etc. will also be developed.

so ultimately sex tourism will result into:

foreign currency + jobs + development of tourism industry + development of ancillary industry
= overall economic development.

thats why sex tourism is ok.
wrichcirw

Con

After reading PRO's argument, I am just going to hit PRO over the head with a baseball bat.

1 & 2 & 3) PRO argues that "sex tourism increase tourist traffic in a country," which " increases the flow of foreign currency fund into the country...which in turn create[s] more jobs in the country," leading to " industries that are ancillary to the tourism industry [being] developed. industries like: hotel, motel, train, airways, theme park, entertainment park etc. will also be developed. "

There is no question that sex is big business in the countries that have it:

"Prostitution in South Korea is illegal, but according to The Korea Women's Development Institute, the sex trade in Korea was estimated to amount to 14 trillion South Korean won ($13 billion) in 2007, roughly 1.6 percent of the nation's gross domestic product. [1]

However, to link this economic activity to "theme park, entertainment park etc." type economic activity is outlandish. The only real infrastructure that would come from this is building brothels and love motels, both of which are not only prominent in South Korea, but are built next to middle schools, libraries and family restaurants. It is a complete and utter travesty in gender-related justice issues.

To further this point about gender issues:

"Lim’s study of Korean sex trafficking victims in the U.S. and a Namseoul University study on prostitution in South Korea suggest that lack of economic opportunity for women plays the major role in driving women to make risky decisions like being smuggled into America or willingly engaging in prostitution at home. Personal debt explains why women have been enslaved in many cases." [2]

"The lack of opportunity is simply explained by gender inequality...The latest data from the OECD has it that the gender-income gap in South Korea was a whopping 38.9 per cent in 2009 – the largest among the 27 member countries at the top of the world’s economy. The second highest, yet still ten per cent lower, is Japan at 28.3 per cent (no surprise the two East Asian countries are the leaders here). [2]

Furthermore, "At least half of South Korea's 200,000 runaway youths, 60% of whom are female, have worked as underage prostitutes. The young girls, who often run away to escape academic pressure, sell sex over internet chat, and live with "families" in jjimjilbang, or bathhouses with fellow prostitutes. According to United Voice for Eradication of Prostitution, these teen prostitutes are sometimes raped, gang raped, or contract syphilis from their activities." [1]

Bottom line, misogynistic societies create gender inequality, which forces many of these women into desperation. These desperate women fuel the gigantic prostitution industry in South Korea. Children in middle school learn about the brothel next to their school and girls figure out pretty early that they have no future unless they are pretty enough to get married early, and they have to pray their husband, who has near absolute power due to a woman's inability to get a job in such a misogynistic society, does not abuse them. This is a total travesty, and abuses the human rights of women to a near incalculable degree.

A first hand account:

"...it seems that frequenting prostitutes is an accepted part of life for Korean married men. In fact, it is often required of businessmen if they want to be successful and accepted among their coworkers.... For example, I have a friend who was offered a highly coveted position with a certain large corporation. While working there, he was required to regularly go out drinking and visiting prostitutes with his team. Given the strong hierarchical nature of Korean society, he felt unable to say no to his superiors, yet his religious beliefs compelled him to reject this lifestyle. As a result, he had no other choice but to quit and try to find another line of work."

"It’s impossible to go anywhere in this country without being faced with a constant barrage of prostitution venues. Of course, they often masquerade as something else- massage parlors, karaoke rooms, barber shops, tea shops, PC rooms, bars, rest houses, etc., but they all offer at least the possibility of sex. It’s not exactly comforting to walk around in the middle of the day and see middle-aged men in business suits going into cheap motels on their lunch breaks or after work before returning home to their families."

"When I ask my female friends how Korean women put up with this from their husbands, they tell me that it’s what the men must do if they are to be successful... I can’t conceive of how Korean men can not only hurt and disrespect their wives like this, but also spend all their time fraternizing with coworkers and women rather than spending it with their children. This aspect of Korean culture is toxic to families, and is one of the reasons I don’t believe I could raise a family in Korea." [3]

Imagine if it was a woman looking for work in South Korea, and had to make a choice as to whether or not she would go with the other salarymen to a brothel. It is easy to see why gender inequality is so high in South Korea, and why women in South Korea are lucky if they have a job when they hit 30 years of age.

I have not even begun on STDs, other health issues, rape, kidnapping, exploitation, murder and etc that flows from sex trafficking and prostitution in general.

I'm sure my opponent has a healthy sex drive, but one must consider the consequences of what he is proposing.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://www.koreaandtheworld.com...
[3] http://thegrandnarrative.com...
xxx00

Pro

my opponent must live in bronze age, in a pre historic era and have pre historic value system.

the first point of my opponent, i think is about respect of women which is a very vague and relative and subjective and idealistic issue. in this debate we are dealing with concrete issues which are real, objective in nature. so this issue of women’s respect has very little or no value in today’s competitive business world.

my opponent’s next points i can guess are STDs, other health issues, rape, kidnaping, exploitation, murder and etc that flows from sex trafficking and prostitution in general.

i want to remind my friend of tremendous scientific progress that was made in these decades. STDs and health related issues have definite full-proof remedy provided by modern science. my opponent must not have any respect for science.

rest of the issues rape, kidnaping, exploitation, murder are very common and natural to every nation around the world with America being the top. they have nothing to do with prostitution and sex trafficking.

i will request my friend to give related concrete points against the motion.

thanks.
wrichcirw

Con

PRO states:

"my opponent must live in bronze age"

PRO's views are much more representative of the Bronze age than mine.

PRO states:

"the first point of my opponent, i think is about respect of women which is a very vague and relative and subjective and idealistic issue. "

I agree that PRO has no concept of respect of women, which makes any notion of women's rights "very vague, and relative, and subjective."

PRO states:

"i want to remind my friend of tremendous scientific progress that was made in these decades. STDs and health related issues have definite full-proof remedy provided by modern science. my opponent must not have any respect for science."

One word: AIDS.

PRO states:

"rest of the issues rape, kidnaping, exploitation, murder are very common and natural to every nation around the world with America being the top. they have nothing to do with prostitution and sex trafficking. "

I will not even dignify this with a counterargument.

PRO states:

"i will request my friend to give related concrete points against the motion."

PRO has given no sources, no citations, no numbers, nothing, except weak assertions and Bronze Age views on gender equality.

Thank god this debate is over. I thank the audience for voting CON.
xxx00

Pro

xxx00 forfeited this round.
wrichcirw

Con

An article demonstrating the pressures on South Korean women:

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

Again, South Korea is a country where prostitution is the norm. Why pay these women to work when they can just become prostitutes? Hence, the 38% wage gap between men and women.

VOTE CON.
xxx00

Pro

xxx00 forfeited this round.
wrichcirw

Con

I repeat:

Vote Placed by Clash 4 years ago
Clash
xxx00wrichcirwTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't successfully refute Con, and forfeited his last two rounds. Clear win to Con.
Vote Placed by The_Master_Riddler 4 years ago
The_Master_Riddler
xxx00wrichcirwTied
Reasons for voting decision: epic
Vote Placed by Chicken 4 years ago
Chicken
xxx00wrichcirwTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con dominated Pro, Pro Ff'd and failed to adequately address con's argument of aids (Which was a refutation)