should 6 year olds play video games

the tital sums it up have fun and good luck!

Should they?

I will allow you to open up the debate.

i am the king of many lands the ruler of all the oceans, the builder or the destroyer i am anything you would want to be.

this sums up video games! a community in what you can be who or what you want to be, why should six year olds not also be in on it! many games are also good helping tools like the new sesame street game.

if u mean more mature games here is a speech

Video Games and Life

An original oratory by luner124

Video games originated as a new form of relaxation back about 30 years ago, with the first ones being just basic ideas and basic goals. But as time has gone on they have grown into a far greater thing spanning to all walks of like. Today I would like to show you how video games can compare to life and human nature in almost every sense. I hope by the end of this you will see them in a different light instead of just some escape from reality.

For a game that truly parallels life in the most minimalistic of terms we look towards Geometry Wars. Geometry Wars is a game where you are small white shape in a square arena, in which everything is out to get you. Think of the arena as your life and pressing start at the beginning is you being born. You start off the game with zero points and the most basic of weapons, the game also will only send at you its most basic enemies in a much smaller amount than what is to come. This is perfect to show the beginning of your life, you are are only exposed to what they think you can handle and you must decide from there what you will do with these basic obstacles to to prepare you for what is to come. As time goes on and you start destroying more and more of these enemies or life obstacles you gain a multiplier that multiplies the number of points you get according to how many enemies you kill without dieing, showing how in life can being going so well and as things start going well it becomes exponentially better, but it could all be taken away by something as simple as making a wrong turn. So as the game goes on your weapons change just as your skill set in life does giving you new ways to the by Text-Enhance" href="">problems or enemies that are increasing in frequency also. As you meet these new enemies or should I say people you must do your best to keep them from stopping your success. Just as in life, its you that decides how far you will take yourself, some will die before they reach one hundred thousand, and others will make it to a million plus, it's all just how you look at everything and deal with what's in front of you at the time.

Freedom is another point I would like to hit on, showing how humans can show their true selves in video games that allow them to. For this example I will use the three games Fable, Grand Theft Auto and Halo. These games allow you the freedom to choose what you do in them, with things such as killing, speech, and morale choices. Some more than others but all of them do in one way or another. This lets people show their personality in ways no other entertainment medium can, which is one reason why video games can explain life in ways movies, books and music can't.

Now we move on to the place where you can see visually where people stand on the moral scale, Fable. Fable is a Role Playing Game where the person playing can do things however they see fit, from marrying people, killing anyone they want, stealing things or even making fun of people. But for every decision they gain a point towards being evil or good and their appearance changes accordingly. A persons first play through is the best way to show a persons inner self. Some people, like myself, can't help but be good their first play through. It seems to me that when I'm trying to play as myself I feel to bad to do many evil things and most of the time when I do I have to reset the game because I feel I have made the wrong choice. Some of my friends on the other hand take this new found freedom as the chance to do anything they can't in the real world, thus they become extremely evil their first time through. This shows that when people are given the freedom to act how they please they tend to act how they normally would or how they would like to act. It can be almost scary to look at how some of the nicest people you would ever meet can turn into a tyrant as soon the freedom is in their hands.

Now for the final point I would like to bring up, emotion. True emotion is something that is hard to capture in any art or media form but is the one thing most artists strive for. In my 15 years of video game playing I would have to say only one game has touched me enough in this why for me to even think of it. This game is called Braid. Braid is a simple game in almost every way but the story. The story is where the game pulls itself into the extraordinary by touching so close to home to so many people. The entire game is told through books and what you see which leaves most of it up to your interpretation but that is where the beauty of it all is because it makes you start relating parts of the story to yourself and you wonder if it was speaking to you instead of telling you the story of the game. But what blew my mind is the ending that can only be seen if you collect all of the puzzle pieces throughout the game.

The idea of the game is not a new one, find the princess. But at the end of each world when you see a castle a guy comes out and says “The princess is in another castle.” When you get to the final castle though something different happens, the same guy comes out and says “I'm sorry the princess isn't here in fact I don't even know if she exists.” Since you have been looking for the princess this entire time and leaving everything behind to search for her it dons on you that maybe what you have been searching for this entire time isn't real. This was the first time the game touched me because everyone gets the feeling at one time or another that maybe there is something better out there but I just have to look for it. This thought at times can cause you to make decisions that you normally wouldn't and in turn make you leave what may already be a good thing behind.

In short I just wanted to say video games are far beyond something just to escape from reality. They are tool for showing people things they don't normally see or maybe can't see from where they are in their life. When it comes to art showing life in the purest since, video games go above and beyond the Call of Duty. :)

I hope everyone enjoyed it. please be nice. sorry for the wall of text.

ConservativePolitico forfeited this round.

luner124 forfeited this round.

Posted by victoria_kim 4 years ago
yes, 6 olds may play video games, but of course, certain amount of time. it's okay for children to play video games, because it is also a kind of development for their brains in a creative sense.
Posted by angelcoba 4 years ago
Lol, this is funny! Well a 6 year old should be allowed to play video games because if that is taken away basically a childhood can be taken away (sort of.) Well since a 6 year old's brain is still developing that 6 year old will have crazy imaginations and will want to do those crazy stuff in the real world which they won't be allow to, so by playing video games that can help prevent problems of both the child and parents, although I think there should be a limit to playing games!
Posted by bossyburrito 4 years ago
I'd debate this.
Vote Placed by AlwaysMoreThanYou 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited and dropped all of Pro's arguments.