shuffledybot
ObiWan

should Lance Armstrong have had his tour de france titles stripped?

Started: 10/24/2012 Category: Sports

shuffledybot

Pro

Basically Lance Armstrong took PED's and he deserved to have his titles taken. People are giving him the benefit of the doubt because the guy has one testicle. thats not the point. he cheated. he deserves to be punished for cheating.
ObiWan

Con

I think stripping Lance of his titles would be unjust and unneccessary. My opponent may present his case.
shuffledybot

Pro

I begin my argument with the definition of cheating.
Cheating: to deceive; influence by fraud

Based on this definition Lance Armstrong cheated. He deceived people into believing that he won that race by himself with no help.

He rightfully deserved to have his titles stripped because it is not fair that someone who cheats hold a record or a title. He didn't win it, his PED's did.
ObiWan

Con

He deceived people into believing that he won that race by himself with no help.
If, to win the Tour de France fairly, you have to win it by yourself, with no help, then there going to be a lot of titles stripped. When cyclists compete in races like the Tour de France, they race in teams. Each team will generally have a rider who they will race for, by doing things like setting the pace of the pelaton, making breakaways of even just preventing them from being boxed in by other riders. So no, no one who actually vaguely follows cycling things he won with out any help.

This is really the matter at hand. Know that Lance has been found guilty, the argument that he didn't take drugs now can't be used in his favour. But was what he was doing really giving him an unfair advantage over his fellow competitors?

We know that Lance is not the only cyclinst ever to take performance enhancing drugs, in fact, the issue has marred the sport perhaps worse than any other professional sport in the world. The question is, if you know that your oponents are taking the drugs as well, is it not cheating yourself by not taking the drugs?

Let me put it this way... If you're in a sword fight to the death, and your discover that your opponenet is going to break the rules and wear chain mail under his clothes, would you take the chance and go unprotected as well?

While what Lance did may have been agaisnt the laws of the sport, it may have been that, because so many cyclists have been found to take PED's, he couldnt have won the race without them.

shuffledybot

Pro

shuffledybot forfeited this round.
ObiWan

Con

This forfeit was rather disssapointing seeing as I was actually challenged to this debate personally.
Anyways...
Extend my unrebutted arguments.
Vote Con