nrpaul1015
noprisu

should PE be a requirement?

noprisu

nrpaul1015

Con

PE should not have to be taken as a requirement to pass the high school education. this is ridiculous, that elective could have been used to study actual useful things that will help you later in life. it is unfair to those wishing to take three no required electives that are fun and educational. the PE class i must take has no structure, no discipline, and is filled with kids who don't care about education and can care less about learning. to conclude, i believe PE is a waste.
noprisu

Pro

I thank my opponent for creating a debate that i have not seen in a while. Good topic :)

If i could define PE for a moment, this would be the definition:
" instruction in the development and care of the body ranging from simple calisthenic exercises to a course of study providing training in hygiene, gymnastics, and the performance and management of athletic games"

I understand that this might be a disputed definition, so i will present arguments with and without the definition. Con may decide that my definition is incorrect and present a plausible replacement, and i will accept it based on accuracy and relevance, not based on how it affects my argument.

With that, I present my case:

CT1(My defenition): Need
Obesity rates among children in the USA have risen: The percentage of children aged 6"11 years in the United States who were obese increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 18% in 2010. Similarly, the percentage of adolescents aged 12"19 years who were obese increased from 5% to 18% over the same period.(1)

With the rise of fast food and cheap, fatty food, their is a rise in an unhealthy lifestyle among most Americans. This is a recipe (excuse the pun) for disaster of health within the age bracket of 12-19 yr olds. If their parents are living an unhealthy lifestyle, then without a conflicting, constant influence of good healthy practices, we will lose them to a life of highly processed "food" and simple sugary soft drinks. If we have any regard for the future of our country in terms of people who can work and lead others while setting a healthy example for others to follow. We need to keep PE a requirement to teach them about health and wellness, two things that will surely be used later in life.

CT2: Need
PE provides a unique opportunity to teach kids the habits of health through practice and example. It allows children to get access to safe, fun, structured, inclusive physical exercise that will develop into a habit in children in the future, reinforcing good health and the importance of regular exercise. It also allows an opportunity to develop teamwork and community, both skills that are important later in life.

Now to respond to some points my opponent made

"that elective could have been used to study actual useful things that will help you later in life" ( In regard to PE being "That elective")

If the concern is about education of useful things, the requirement is filled. PE teaches you about how to care for your body and why its important to do so. This knowledge is useful at every stage of life, as their will never be a time where your body is never a concern in most circumstances.

"it is unfair to those wishing to take three no required electives that are fun and educational"

Is is more important for kids to take what is fun besides what they need? Doing that is a disservice to their education, as the whole reason for educations existence is to give students the skills they need in order to thrive in todays society. As for it being educational, please refer to CT1 for an explanation on why it fits.

"the PE class i must take has no structure, no discipline, and is filled with kids who don't care about education and can care less about learning"

This is a localized problem, and until you can prove that this is a common occurrence, i simply can only see this is a rhetorical fallacy of faulty deduction structured in anecdotal evidence.

I thank you again for reading this and I await my opponent's response

(1) http://www.cdc.gov...
nrpaul1015

Con

Let's not make this discussion about fast food. Those who are obeis are so because a. they aren't motivated enough to change it. B. They have a disseaes limiting wieght loss. Or c. They are proud of the way they are. I believe that it is not the schools buisness if a child is overweight. It could be insulting to them to if a school finds them fat.
Also the time spent in PE can be used to learn computer programing or a foreign language etc.
I am not saying that PE should be banned I a saying that it should be taken out of free will.
You stated that PE focuses on these studies if human phisical actions but the PE class I took focused on hasing and favoritism. You had the jocks and the nerds.like me being bullied and left in a corner. I have had many conversations with friends agreeing with this. If this is what you want to be a part of then by all means do. But don't force it on us. I thank you for your complement on the topic and await your next argument.
noprisu

Pro

I thank my opponent for the rather speedy response.

Please note fellow reader: The opponent did not contest my definition, so my proposed one stands.

Now to address Con's contentions:

"Let's not make this discussion about fast food."

I apologize if you perceived it in that way; i was merely using the phrase as a synonym for an unhealthy lifestyle

"Those who are obeis are so because a. they aren't motivated enough to change it."

Have you ever wondered why this is? It could be perhaps that they can't find anywhere to work out or to exercise? The root cause of a majority of the cases of a psychological addiction to not exercising or eating properly is laziness. With PE, they will have to become active, and it is proven that exercise actually increasees dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin levels in the brain(1): all chemicals that stimulate feel-good pleasure and calmness, or what we feel as "happiness". This is can last up to 12 hours, which is substantially longer than what happiness laziness can get you.

"B. They have a disseaes limiting wieght loss."

Less than 1 in 100 people have a medical anomaly preventing weight loss(2). In your case, a high school, at about 1100 kids, the effective number at best would be 11 kids. The amount of people who would not directly benefit from PE are miniscule, and this is only considering the physical portion as well. The class aspect of it would still become useful to anyone, unable to lose weight or not.

"Or c. They are proud of the way they are. I believe that it is not the schools buisness if a child is overweight. It could be insulting to them to if a school finds them fat."

Just because someone is proud of something does not make it healthy or beneficial. Actually, it IS the schools business whether he is obese or not. The role of the school is to make sure its students are well equipped to face life in and outside of school, and this includes teaching them about caring for their bodies and the importance of exercise and proper nutrition. Yes they might get insulted, but is someones pride worth a chance at a new lifestyle that will forever change their health and experiences for the better? That, dear reader, is for you to decide.

"Also the time spent in PE can be used to learn computer programing or a foreign language etc.

Are those subjects important? Yes! Do they justify removing an equally important subject? No!

"You stated that PE focuses on these studies if human phisical actions but the PE class "I" took focused on hasing and favoritism. You had the jocks and the nerds.like "me" being bullied and left in a corner. "I" have had many conversations with friends agreeing with this."

This is all still ancedotal evidence. Unless you can present some information collected in a poll or study about PE hazing, I cant see this as evidence. Perhaps its a problem with the people rather than the program itself. If that's the case, then the problem is not exlusive to PE, but to school and hierarchy within the social class in general, but that is for another debate

(Not as an insult, but i would suggest proofreading your text before you submit it. It is a point we are judged on at the end of the debate. )

And back to you.

(1)http://www.self.com...
(2http://www.patient.co.uk...#
nrpaul1015

Con

nrpaul1015 forfeited this round.
noprisu

Pro

My opponent has decided to concede this debate on account of his forfeit. Vote Pro.
Vote Placed by ndedo 3 years ago
ndedo
nrpaul1015noprisuTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's argument was great. His S&G had no errors, and he had reliable sources. This contrasts with Con's weak argument, abysmal S&G, and ff.
Vote Placed by Nyx999 3 years ago
Nyx999
nrpaul1015noprisuTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's spelling and grammar were impeccable, his arguments were flawless, and he had many sources, as oppsed to Con, who had terrible spelling and grammar, anecdotal information, and no sources. (Although I too harbor a grudge against Physical Education. Actually, exercise in general. :3 )