geenaluvkuromi
Porthos

should Students be given homework during the weekends

Porthos

geenaluvkuromi

Con

there is a 5 working days rule. Students already study 5 days a week leaving only 2 days for breaks and family time. As a student myself i find it really ridiculous when my teachers give me homework over the weekends. Where is the time for bonding with my family and friends?
Porthos

Pro

Students should be given homework during the weekends. Your not the only one that dislikes it. Practically everyone does. A lot of teachers will give it to you over weekend breaks, so that you have more time to think about your work . Taking that kind of time can let you review your work and ultimately receive a better class grade. Your teacher's mainly give it to you though so that you'll be prepared. I don't know what grade you're in, but being given a little push can prepare you for the your next school whether it be middle school, high school, or college. When you get to the next school and the next standardized tests at those schools, they won't be so difficult because you'll have been training on that work constantly and will be used to getting a larger amount of work even on the weekend. If you're not in it already, trust me, high school won't always be so pretty for you. Life has it's downfalls, but as humans we persevere through the difficult times. As for making bonding time for your family and friends, you've got to make it yourself. Get all your weekend homework done as soon as possible and organize things in advanced. Trust me time management also won't be so kind to you, the older you get. At my middle school we had more homework than most other schools. I was placed in the magnet program there and it wasn't always easy. You just have to work with it though, because in the end you'll probably realizes that it wasn't that much work, and laugh upon it. As Bob Marley said," Every little thing is gunna be all right." And as Jimmy Eat World said," It just takes some time, little girl you're in the middle of the ride, everything, everything will be just fine, everything, everything, will be alright, alright." To conclude, students should be given homework during the weekends.
geenaluvkuromi

Con

geenaluvkuromi forfeited this round.
Porthos

Pro

As it appears my opponent has forfeited this round. Her profile says that she was last online three days ago. She made her account three days ago as well. Anything interesting about that? My theory is that she went home on a Friday and was bummed about receiving homework for the weekend. She wanted to share this with the world and at last discovered DDO. She thought this is my chance to rebel against school, for my voice to be heard! And yet it seems as if she gave up. Didn't bother to check back up on the debate. You've got to be committed for things like these though. Sure it's just the internet but how do you think your opponent feels and more importantly the people who want to vote on this matter with your intake in mind. Now they've got to wait forever unless you log on sometime soon. I think it's going to take a while for her to get back on, to get committed folks. You know what? I bet that's how she feels about her homework too. She gets a lot of it, it's too much, too boring. Well what about you who is going to be the next generation to fix America's problems? Can't you put up with a little work for a happier lifestyle in the end? What if your parents said we're not going to work for the rest of our lives. That would mean little or no education for you, little or no food, shelter, phone, etc, for you! Sorry if I'm going at it too hard but common people go through more difficult things in life. I could go on for years telling you those things but, no offense, I'm bumbling you in this competition. So instead I'm going to help you with your problem. This is your entire first argument: there is a 5 working days rule. Students already study 5 days a week leaving only 2 days for breaks and family time. As a student myself I find it really ridiculous when my teachers give me homework over the weekends. Where is the time for bonding with my family and friends? End. First off you say that students study five days a week. You don't say that you receive homework during that time. Bond with your family and friends after school on those days. There you go, I solved you problem. If you do have homework on those days get them done first thing you get home, at school, lunch time, and or on the bus. Two words, time management. Thank you.
geenaluvkuromi

Con

geenaluvkuromi forfeited this round.
Porthos

Pro

As you can see my opponent still hasn't posted an argument and has forfeited for the second time. I hope for the next two rounds of this debate to gather more evidence for my case, but in the meantime please watch this video. It supports what I'm saying about the excuses of geenaluvkuromi not participating in our debate: . Also before I forget, for the title of this debate geenaluvkuromi put the title as: should Students be given homework during the weekends. Yes they should so they would know that sentences start with a capital letter for the first word, that students as the second word in a sentence should be lower cased, and that questions end with a question mark. Geenaluvkuromi should have made the title of the debate look a little more like this: Should students be given homework during the weekends? I just wanted to point that out before I forgot, but anyways please go to that link and watch that video. Thank you everyone who is still in on this debate.
geenaluvkuromi

Con

geenaluvkuromi forfeited this round.
Porthos

Pro

Since this debate is coming to a closing and we"re at round four, I though I should introduce new evidence to my case. As I've been researching why we should have homework on the weekends, I realized mainly that we should have it because it provides extra brain training over your two-day break so that you will remember what you"ve learned during to week. To begin here is a list of ten benefits from homework in general.

1.It improves your thinking and memory
2.It helps you develop positive study skills and habits that will serve you well throughout life
3.Homework encourages you to use time wisely
4.It teaches you to work independently
5.Homework teaches you to take responsibility for your work
6.It allows you to review and practice what has been covered in class
7.Homework helps you learn to use resources, such as libraries, reference materials, and computer Web sites to find information
8.It encourages you to explores subjects more fully than classroom time permits
9.It allows you to extend learning by applying skills to new situations
10.It helps you integrate learning by applying many different skills to a single task, such as book reports or science projects

(Brought to you by http://blog.eskool.ca...)

I would like to thank the people at http://blog.eskool.ca.... That list states an excellent set of benefits from doing homework. Overall it"s saying that homework prepares you through difficulties in life. With the skills and good habits you obtain from homework it becomes easier to overcome your problems.

"In a study conducted by Hill, Spencer, Alston and Fitzgerald (1986), homework was positively linked to student achievement. They indicate that homework is an inexpensive method of improving student academic preparation without increasing staff or modifying curriculum. "So, as the pressure to improve test scores continues to increase, so does the emphasis on homework""

(Brought to you by http://www.studentpulse.com...)

There is the evidence folks, and like I said before it helps people overcome their problems and to achieve goals such as higher test score (also known as growth in education) to help society function correctly, and with a wise mind. If you don"t believe me about this test here is another test conducted carried out by the researchers at Duke University.

" DURHAM, N.C. - It turns out that parents are right to nag: To succeed in school, kids should do their homework.
Duke University researchers have reviewed more than 60 research studies on homework between 1987 and 2003 and concluded that homework does have a positive effect on student achievement.
Harris Cooper, a professor of psychology and director of Duke's Program in Education, said the research synthesis that he led showed the positive correlation was much stronger for secondary students --- those in grades 7 through 12 --- than those in elementary school.
"With only rare exception, the relationship between the amount of homework students do and their achievement outcomes was found to be positive and statistically significant," the researchers report in a paper that appears in the spring 2006 edition of "Review of Educational Research.""
Cooper is the lead author; Jorgianne Civey Robinson, a Ph.D. student in psychology, and Erika Patall, a graduate student in psychology, are co-authors.

(Brought to you by http://today.duke.edu...)

Once again readers, there is the evidence that homework is beneficial. Therefore, there is no reason for it not to be beneficial on weekends. Ultimately, homework given to students on the weekend is beneficial. If I still do not have you on board with my side I suggest reading this extra evidence.

Homework set prior to a lesson can aid understanding later in class. Homework also provides opportunities for reinforcement of work learned during school time and for children to develop their research skills. Children will need to seek information for themselves from reference materials such as encyclopaedias, books, CD ROMs and by doing so, are helped along the path to becoming independent learners.
Having the responsibility of needing to meet deadlines promotes self-discipline, an attribute that will impact on schoolwork and beyond.

(Brought to you by http://www.topmarks.co.uk...)

Thank you everyone for staying tuned in on my side of the case for: whether or not students should have homework over the weekends. Yes they should. Hey, I appreciate everything you guys and hope to for the final round of this debate to wrap up my argument with an overall conclusion of my case and how this, being my first debate, has been. Once again thank you.
geenaluvkuromi

Con

geenaluvkuromi forfeited this round.
Porthos

Pro

Hey everyone thank you for staying tuned too this debate for my first debate I supposed I enjoyed it pretty well, it was easy. I believe students should be given homework during the weekends because so many benefits come with it, education-wise. Once again thank you everyone, please vote pro. Thank you.
Vote Placed by Mikal 3 years ago
Mikal
geenaluvkuromiPorthosTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff