margaretl
OtakuJordan

should a gender neutral pronoun be instigated in the English language

OtakuJordan

margaretl

Pro

I think that there should be a gender neutral pronoun in regard to the multiple genders that are becoming widespread. This way transition periods and gender fluid persons can avoid being asked what pronoun to be called. this can also give more anonymity to those applying for schools and jobs, ensuring fair chances for all genders. It would not replace the pronouns already in use, and so there should be little confusion.
OtakuJordan

Con

I would like to begin by thanking Pro for challenging me to this debate. I look forward to an interesting discussion.

Argument #1 - The size of the LGBTQ community does not justify a change in the language of our nation
The best statistics on the percentage of LGBTQ Americans suggest that they make up only 2%(1) to 3.4%(2) of the population. Of this small minority, only a small fraction would fall into the Q category, denoting themselves as gender-queer or gender-fluid.

According to scholars, pronouns are the most conservative and the least malleable aspect of the English language.(3) One must question, then, whether it is worth changing one of the basic elements of the English language in order to avoid the moment of awkwardness that my opponent claims occurs when gender-queer people are asked what they like to be called.

Argument #2 - Such a change may not be in the best interest of those in the LGBTQ community
Such a massive change, which would have to be accomplished through changes in the education system, could only serve to help the claims of those who believe in a "gay agenda."

Also, referring to gender-queer people with a queer-specific pronoun would most likely not have the effect of making them feel accepted, but rather of making them feel like they belong to an outsider group.

My opponent presented no evidence to show that gender-queer people want to avoid being asked what gender they are. Such questions give those in the Q community a chance to share their story and a way for their friends and family members to show that their feelings are valued.

I do not understand how having a gender-queer box on applications for schools and jobs would give anonymity to applicants. If anything, it would simply allow school administrators andemployers to know exactly which applicants are gender-queer, thus increasing the likelihood of discrimination.

1. http://www.theatlantic.com...
2. http://www.slate.com...
3. http://www.slate.com...
margaretl

Pro

margaretl forfeited this round.
OtakuJordan

Con

Pro forfeited R2. My arguments stand.
margaretl

Pro

margaretl forfeited this round.
OtakuJordan

Con

Pro forfeited R3. My arguments stand.
margaretl

Pro

margaretl forfeited this round.
OtakuJordan

Con

That is unfortunate. Please vote for Con.
Vote Placed by janetsanders733 3 years ago
janetsanders733
margaretlOtakuJordanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Thanks to both debaters. However, Con actually showed that putting a "gender" queer box on an application would lead to discrimination. And, by instigating Pronouns for the LGBT community I think would be discriminatory.