Amanda1242
Ragnar

should abortion be illegal in The United States of America?

Ragnar

Amanda1242

Pro

I feel it should be illegal but allowing for exceptions such as rap or life or death situations....
Ragnar

Con

I accept this debate.

"exceptions such as rap"
Given that pro believes that the involvement of rap should open an exception to allow abortion, there is a slippery slope that could allow almost anything to be an exception. What if the man took her to dinner and gave her flowers for example? His actions made her do something she otherwise might not have, manipulating her mental state in more devious ways than the case of mere rap.
Amanda1242

Pro

What are you trying to point out?
Ragnar

Con

The idea of this anti-abortion law seems racist in design, as it would disproportionately affect the children of Black Men, as their culture makes them more likely to commit rap. Further it would be nearly impossible to prove rap was not involved in conception. Any girl wanting an abortion, would merely claim rap to make it legal.

Of course it is my firm belief that rap is not only morally neutral, but that women actually enjoy it! As proof of their interest in it, let’s consider how they get dressed up, and go into the cities (often alone) to look for it. If they don’t want it, why encourage it with such outfits?

Looking for rap.
Amanda1242

Pro

I don't mean to insult you but anyone with a brain could realize and see that women do not and I repeat do not enjoy being raped. Seriously thats sick. I still stand on my belief on when a person should be allowed to have an abortion. There are appropriate times for abortion and there are times that it is not appropiate such as inmaturity. And cultures, I am just talking about in the USA.
Ragnar

Con

Rebuttals:
Women do not and I repeat do not enjoy being raped.
I agree, but such as irrelevant to the debate at hand. How they feel about rape, has no bearing on the rap exception.

And cultures, I am just talking about in the USA.
The USA is a nation of well over 300 million people, by nature it would be impossible to have them all be of a single culture.
For example: Someone could have grew up urban or rural, creating a different cultural experience even while they retain the same nationality. In relation to this debate, the urban person is more likely to enjoy rap, and the rural person is more likely to enjoy country.

Possible Confusion:
This debate was clearly from R1 onward about rap music.

In R1 I clearly stated “manipulating her mental state in more devious ways than the case of mere rap,” leaving no room for confusion with the physically coercion of rape.

In R2 I pointed out that “rap is not only morally neutral, but that women actually enjoy it!” Which they do, they dress up and go to concerts. I even provided a picture of Miley Cyrus dressed up in a manner to suggest she enjoys being rapped at; as a separate activity to sex (even if both can be enjoyed at the same time, along with drugs).

In R3 pro attempted to shift to goalpost to rape, which is entirely unrelated to rap.

Conclusion:
Pro’s proposed law leaves a giant loophole making abortion effectively legal, as all a girl need do is claim to have listened to rap (I assume during conception) to allow the abortion. This key point went unchallenged.

However the true issue of this debate was the value of spelling and grammar, with pro insisting “spelling is not the debate so there's no need for you to clean out any Aaron Spelling,” and myself disagreeing. While I believe I have won by either standard, I suggest only a Spelling & Grammar vote.

Posted by anon898 3 years ago
anon898
Amanda

I wasn't necessarily calling you an idiot, but the fact that you are religious probably means that your religion is a factor in your opposition toward abortion, which is something I look down on. And I still believe that anyone against abortion is either a right winger, sexist, or a primitive bible basher, or all three.
Posted by Amanda1242 3 years ago
Amanda1242
Well, for everyone who has voted on my debate I must say I strongly disagree with you all but a friendly debate is all I ever seek so all is all good.
Posted by Amanda1242 3 years ago
Amanda1242
I'm confused, what's funny?
Posted by 1harderthanyouthink 3 years ago
1harderthanyouthink
I cracked up SO hard
Posted by lit.wakefield 3 years ago
lit.wakefield
@Ragnar: I reported the vote bomb.
Posted by lit.wakefield 3 years ago
lit.wakefield
@Ragnar: I reported the vote bomb.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
@1davey29: While I'm fine with your vote as is, in future I advise making protest votes solely affect conduct. Any offence I have inflicted upon victims to rap, fail to reveal any flaw in my English, nor does it magically make my opponent have used evidence.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
For my views on an actual a rape exception, I debated it pretty well here: http://www.debate.org...
Posted by Amanda1242 3 years ago
Amanda1242
sorry anon, I spelled your name wrong. My apologies.
Posted by Amanda1242 3 years ago
Amanda1242
Please y'all, lets keep this a friendly debate. This don't have to be nasty.
Vote Placed by GaryBacon 3 years ago
GaryBacon
Amanda1242RagnarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con gets spelling and grammar, because he understands the difference between "rape" and "rap." He also gets arguments, because it made me laugh.
Vote Placed by TheGamer1998 3 years ago
TheGamer1998
Amanda1242RagnarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Honestly, it shouldn't be illegal cause if the mother doesn't want to give birth or doesn't think she's ready to be a mother, than she shouldn't have to give birth
Vote Placed by lit.wakefield 3 years ago
lit.wakefield
Amanda1242RagnarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Con for Pro's irrelevant responses. Spelling and grammar to Con for Pro's many punctuation errors. Arguments to Con because Pro failed to meet the burden of proof and Con made good points about Pro's exception of rap.
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 3 years ago
Actionsspeak
Amanda1242RagnarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro went 3 rounds without posting an argument (round 3 was the only reasonably decent round)
Vote Placed by Jay-D 3 years ago
Jay-D
Amanda1242RagnarTied
Reasons for voting decision: S&G goes to Con for impeccable writing, whereas Pro had quite a few issues, especially in punctuation. Pro wasted an entire round(#2) by submitting a single sentence. Arguments to Con, since all Pro had to offer were personal beliefs and ad hominems. I award it 4-0 to Con.
Vote Placed by NatetheGreat365 3 years ago
NatetheGreat365
Amanda1242RagnarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Besides personal bias feeling that anti-choice stances/policies on abortion to be oppressive, immoral, illegal and unconstitutional, the con clearly won this. The affirmation never even made an effort to correct her typo and the negation was merely running a case of pure refutation verbatim what the affirmation said and did so successfully. The affirmation also had very poor spelling (i.e. 'rap' instead of 'rape' as well as MANY other instances) and grammar as well as punctuation, etc. No sources were cited on either side though, but that's just a technicality. In summary, the con offered a very strong and solid case that was also very entertaining and not challenged on any solid ground by the pro who offered no clear points while the cons case of pure refutation did keep a structured debate format. And did I mention he was extremely entertaining while keeping a serious and valid case? Bravo.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
Amanda1242RagnarTied
Reasons for voting decision: No proper arguments presented by Pro, where as Con refuted every single arguments of Pro and also made a better case for his position. As pointed out by Con, the possible confusion about "Rap" is irrelevant. The debate was about "Abortion" and in R1, Pro made a spelling mistake, instead of writing "Rape", she wrote "Rap". This seems to have a confusion about "Rap" and "Rape". Its quite ridiculous bringing "Rap" into this topic.