dutchrock
kbrown96

should all religion be banned from constitution, law etc. and government institutions (ie school

dutchrock

Pro

Government should be independent of any source that could bias them. By removing religion we are simply removing a form of corruption and spreading equality. By removing religion from scripture we are improving it an making it more fair to minorities such as atheists muslims hindus etc.
kbrown96

Con

I will be accepting this challenge, as it has become increasingly more controversial nowadays. I will also, though it may occur here and there, try and refrain from making fallacious appeals to tradition.

I will, first and foremost, have to disagree with my opponent's opening claim.
>>Government should be independent of any source that bias them.
Though this seems just, bias is incredibly beneficial to government. Bias causes opinions, opinions cause arguments, arguments cause debates, and debates cause societies to move forward.

Removing religion from government (i.e. bi-partisan prayers, removing "one nation under God" from the pledge, etc.) would cause much more harm than could. Although opponent claims this would remove a form of corruption and spread equality, roughly 75% of Americans identify themselves as Christians, and attempting to end almost 250 years of tradition (not trying to APPEAL to tradition here) would only cause complete and severe social outrage in America. Ever since the Mayflower Compact, the "rule of the majority" has been essential in preserving the laws and stability of America, and removing religion from government would only cause social unrest.

Also, I am not sure what you mean by "removing religion from scripture"; please clarify.
dutchrock

Pro

dutchrock forfeited this round.
kbrown96

Con

I have no content to form a rebuttal, so I will await my opponent's argument in Round 3.
dutchrock

Pro

dutchrock forfeited this round.
kbrown96

Con

kbrown96 forfeited this round.
dutchrock

Pro

dutchrock forfeited this round.
kbrown96

Con

"Where has my opponent gone?"
A poem of sorrow and mystery.

Where has my opponent gone,
The man I once so fondly knew?
The man from which debate was drawn
Whose arguments have been past due.

Could he be out in the woods?
Contemplating trees and life?
Or is by himself at home
Wishing that he had a wife?

Maybe the wild is his place
And Wilderness his stately bride.
In which case he does not debate
Because internet access is denied.

Oh, how I wish for his return
To join this joyful conversation.
But for now I must discern
His motive for expatriation.

And as I heave one final breath
In hopes this debate will be re-lit
I sadly must conclude its death
For I must go and take a sh*t.
dutchrock

Pro

dutchrock forfeited this round.
kbrown96

Con

kbrown96 forfeited this round.
Posted by harrypotterfantng 4 years ago
harrypotterfantng
I'd be happy to take this one, but I see that the user Ragnar wants to also after clarifications. If it is not accepted by tomorrow, I will take it if no one else does.
Posted by medv4380 4 years ago
medv4380
"removing religion from scripture" was that an intentional choice of words?
Posted by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
I think he's arguing for the banning of anything inspired by faith, from anything paid for in tax dollars.

I'll gladly take this one... But first, clarifications would be nice. Which country is this referring to for starters?
Posted by UndocumentedIntellect 4 years ago
UndocumentedIntellect
Can you be a little more clear on your position? Are you arguing for the removal or ALL practicing of religion, public and private? Also, are you arguing to remove every religion, or just Christianity?