enersonm
smlburridge

should animals be in zoos?

smlburridge

enersonm

Pro

Should animals be in zoos?
I think they should
1. They could save a animal from being endangered
2. Zoos provide medical care for animals
and lots other things

What do you think?
smlburridge

Con

First of all, I'd like to thank enersonm for this debate and for allowing me to argue against them.

I'd like to address my opponent's contentions:

1. They could save an animal from being endangered.
The concept of "endangered animals" isn't restricted to just one individual of a species. Instead, it is the entire species that is endangered, usually directly or indirectly by humans. That being said, a zoo is, no matter how hard we try to make it, not an animal's nature habitat. Preserving a species in captivity is not really preserving them at all. It is artificial. These animals come to rely too much on their caretakers, and when released into the wild have hard times trying to adapt to the natural order.

2. Zoos provide medical care for animals.
Only for the animals they keep. The whole reason these zoos have medical care is not out of what is morally right, but for their audience. The more animals, especially exotic ones, that are sick, the less of them people see, and thus the less people who visit the zoo and pay for tickets and concessions. Zoos are ultimately, for profit.

Now, I'd like to provide my own contention:

1. Exotic animals should not be captured from the wild, transported to foreign countries, and put on display.
Separating animals from their environment is inherently bad for their quality of life, even if they are provided medical care and adequate nutrition. Many have problems adapting to the new environs of the climates they have been transported, unwillingly, to. They easily become sick, and can be exposed to other animals who are not native to their own native habitats. Animals bred in captivity lose the natural instincts and learning they would have received from living in the natural environment of their home habitats. When they are released back into the environment, they have hard times trying to adapt to it. Trying to conserve almost extinct species by transporting them into captivity is the last nail in the coffin of extinction.
enersonm

Pro

This is what i'm saying nothing but good things even my component is saying yes to having zoos!
smlburridge

Con

I never specifically stated I agreed with your position. Could you clarify for me? Zoos generally have better healthcare, yes, bt at the same time taking wild animals from their habitats is unjust and cruel to them. Those raised in captivity and released into the wild as adults suffer because they have to suddenly adapt to what is supposed to be their natural environment or else they die.
enersonm

Pro

enersonm forfeited this round.
smlburridge

Con

My opponent has failed to address the ethical problems associated with animals in captivity, and I have addressed every single one of their contentions. For these reasons, I urge you to vote against this resolution.

Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
enersonmsmlburridgeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by o0jeannie0o 2 years ago
o0jeannie0o
enersonmsmlburridgeTied
Reasons for voting decision: an easy win for con