Razenbran
Duncan

should anime and manga be incorporated into schools?

Duncan
Started: 9/19/2013 Category: Arts

Razenbran

Pro

I believe that anime and manga should be incorporated into our schools for the following reasons:
1. Anime has helped me out with depression; now i say this point because there are some middle schools, and high schools that do not have a counselor( my school does not have one.). Anime can both help and teach people.
2. our libraries are being under used, they have hundreds of books and only some of them are actually checked out. Manga is quite popular in the states, and i know at least 100 people who like to read manga, they tell me, "Why don't we have any manga here in our library?" I have to tell them, " i don't know, i could ask the administrators, but they do not think manga is educational, more like a waste of time." have they ever read it themselves? i highly doubt it.
3. I have learned at least a dozen life lessons from manga and anime, that i would not and have not learned from school. Do you learn how to deal with the loss of a best friend from school? NO, and you cant get help with it because the school does not have a counselor.
These are my arguments, please feel free to debate it :)
Duncan

Con

I'll open up with the fact that I do like mangas and animes. In fact, I was at a convention only last summer. (Went as Desmond Miles) You may have missed it, but before my picture was a gentlemanly shark, it was Doctor Stein. But I still don't think that mangas should be incorporated into school. I will explain on the same points you had.

1; Just because your school does not have a counselor does not mean it requires mangas. Depression is different for everyone. My depression was ended by a mixture of video games and debating. It's different for everyone.

2; I run my own school library. I have a wad of Bleach novels that i intend to bring in tomorrow as well. The issue is suitability. What would you put in a secondary school, where twelve and thirteen year old children can visit? Maybe High School of the Dead? No, Hellsing? Screw that, Soul Eater and Death Note. Manga's aren't child friendly. Even Yugioh involved torture 5 episodes into the manga.

3; This one ties back into point one, but not everyone finds life lessons in mangas. What lessons did you learn and where? The aforementioned mangas provided little life lessons for me.

4; How many mangas do you have? I have more than twenty now, but the're seven euro and can be read in mere minutes. They're twice as expensive as any other comics. A counselor would probably be cheaper anyway. The costs of mangas can be rather steep, and few schools can afford it right now. Your school is but one of thousands in the world, not a clear representative.

5; How would you incorporate mangas in? Other than putting them in a library, you can't do an English study on them, and many art teachers scoff at the simplistic faces and clean, colourless images. Incorporation of comics is a difficult thing to do.

See you next round,

Duncan.
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 3 years ago
wrichcirw
RazenbranDuncanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Essentially, CON rebutted PRO's main point that manga are educational and can provide life lessons. The Yugioh/torture point was interesting. The bottom line for me is that if the libraries became known as purveyors of comic books, it would defeat the purpose of a library. S&G to CON for "i" multiple times. Conduct to CON for PRO initiating a 1 round debate.
Vote Placed by DeFool 3 years ago
DeFool
RazenbranDuncanTied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO argues that Manga can be therapeutic and educational as well as popular in a certain school. CON points out that they could anger some of the more conservative parents, are not universally popular among students, expensive, and time consuming to incorporate. Arguments: CON. Lowercase "i's" required note.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
RazenbranDuncanTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was a very weak debate, without any back-and-forth discussion. Don't ever propose a one round debate. Pro's resolution was that some anime and manga be included in school library. Con seemed to concede that some anime and manga was worthwhile, but argued that the cost and the selection would be problems. Cost and selection are problems with all the books in the library and are not viewed as obstacles. Pro's claim that anime and manga would be read by students. Putting something in the library is a modest proposal, and it would be useful to at least some students.
Vote Placed by donald.keller 3 years ago
donald.keller
RazenbranDuncanTied
Reasons for voting decision: This wasn't a largely interesting debate. Pro, next time aim for for than 1 round. Conduct and S&G were the same. No one was rude and no one had noticeable misspelled words. No one used source either. Con refuted all of Pro's arguments, and made points that applied to everyone, where as Pro only made points that apply to himself.