should animes be banned?

Con Tied Pro

our elders say that anmies should not be wacthed by us kids but, i want to know how are they differant from our cartoons their just in a differant aspect really.

Greetings Victoria,

I will accept your debate and the resolution that "suggestive" "Animes" should be banned in North America. The reason I say "suggestive" is due to the fact that my opponent clearly has been told by an elder that s/he shouldn't watch an anime program. Without reason, one might assume that it is controversial in some manner.

I will allow my opponent to expound.

i myself has not been told i have not been told i can not wacth them but several friends have and< to my opion there are really no differance in our cartoons and anime. the only differance is were they are made and for them to be banned from north america is discrimanation.

My opponent asserts that discrimination is the reason Anime cartoons should not be banned.

Let us briefly review the history of cartoons: caricatures and cartoons of American and European style have existed for hundreds of years. These cartoons addressed a variety of Western issues, follow Western morals, traditions and values, even if they are sometimes slightly controversial. During the fifties and '60s, comics became increasingly lewd, violent and even horrifying to children. In order to bring comics back to the audience intended, the Comics Code Authority has been established. Therefore, comics are not only designed to appeal to the Westerner, but, if they are family friendly, boast the CCA seal.

Marvel and DC comics strictly govern their superhero comics.

However, Japanese cartoons suddenly flooded the market with cheap, quickly made cartoons of an uncensored and untraditional nature.

1. Violence - dozens of anime series are extraordinarily violent.
  2. Suggestive Themes
  3. Language Nudity/improper dress (Even on the "friendly" Kid series "Pokemon", there are certain individuals to may be improperly dressed to some. Many Anime series portray brief nudity or indecency. Also, Anime does include the adult and implicity branch, "Hentai," which no child should be watching or reading.
  4. Intense monsters and scenes
I will allow my opponent time to garner a good reason why we shouldn't enforce Anime publishers or producers to govern their comics and cartoons to Western standards before accepting them into our homes.

what my oppenet is falling to look at is what kinda cartoons we have today.

1.) spongbob square pant is highly sexually think about it the names of places ect.
yes i admite their are some problems with anime but there is also the same amount of problems with our cartoons.

so i face my oppenet to tell me what the differance in our cartoons and anime is other than their made by differant kinds of people.

I request that my opponent perhaps enclose one or two examples in Spongebob that are controvertible. As for myself, the only "highly sexual" name I could possibly think of is the name of the town Spongebob lives in. Incidentally, the name of the town is related to the beach, and, by itself, not explicit or licentious.

It is time for me to reveal the original internet petition that my opponent's elders must be referring to

"Here in America, we live in a climate of moral decay. What is the cause of this? It is called "anime". Anime is a perverse, evil, insiduous form of animation from the dark land of Japan, and is corrupting America's youth at unprecedented rates. Here are a few examples of anime which are circulating on the Internet and may very well be in your home:

1) "Ah My Goddess": A sick and disgusting show which causes children under the age of 18 to think they are capable of love. The main female character is clearly under 18, and is forced into a romantic relationship by an older man who "wishes" for her to be his girlfriend forever. He even KISSES her, and she appears (inappropriately). That poor girl must be so confused.

2) "Love Hina": I'm not even going to mention the unspeakable, disgusting, pedophilic, pornograhpic events which transpire during this show, but suffice it to say, groups of young men on Love Hina-fueled rampages are taking advantage of children at a level unheard of since the 60s.

If you are a parent or a decent human being, I urge you to sign this petition to ban all forms of anime in the United States. Anyone who is found in possesion of anime should be arrested and jailed for an exhorbant period of time. Anime is a dark scourge upon our beautiful nation, and we don't need this Japanese filth corrupting the hearts of the children." ~

Disclaimer: I don't agree with the sentence cast upon Anime viewers by the author, and I am not capable of vouching to the author's authority, or even mental faculties, but that seems to provide a reasonable reason to ban "suggestive anime" from North America.

It's too bad that I have a reputation to maintain, or I would borrow a debating technique or two from Brian.

an example of sponge bob square pants is the krusty crab , also saying patrick is a retard is an ofense to people who have that disabillity. "our" cartoons try to prevent our young viewers from maturing by hiding the truth from the innocent auidence. and with this, anime isn't even ment for children, did you ever think about how it's only air at a certain time, in hopes of this countrie's families following the strypical ways of life (bed time) but this isn't usually even followed, so how are parents gonna argue about something being wrong for their children if they don't help them their selves? i believe anime is peftectly fine, notice the symbol on the top left of the screen, suggusting young to stay away, ya! if america followed the rules they set we'd be fine.... oh, and anyway, are we considered racisit if we're against the japanese's way of entertainment and what they find suitable. if anime was banned that wouldn't help our struggling economy.... also if only teens and up are watching then tere should be absolutlly nooo problem at all. its not intendened for childern under 17 or 18. if you would study the u.s. cartoons then you would notice the problems but, instead uyou are looking at a differant countries cartoons and all of a sudden saying their cartoons are bad. another example, lion king. why did scar, the "evil" lion have to have a darker shade of fur? and if you watch the part where scar has the heinas march, and compare it to the "nazi march" there isnt any differance. "our cartoons" dull the intelligance anyway... lying to children, telling them that everythings going to be just fine, that you can be rude ( flaunchance, disrespect, poor manners in general) ect. im just rummbling on now, but just look at barbie, her clothes are begginig to look a bit scimpy, right? and by the way, we made robot chicken, family guy, ect. not to include the numurous animated porns you children can find ANYWHERE that are made by americans!

I'm not quite sure how "Krusty Crab" is anything more than an amusing depiction of the character of the crab.

I have stumbled upon a website that indicates that Japanese aren't as subjective to Western values as we would like to believe. An age of responsibility isn't as high as ours, and parents are not necessarily as responsible for their children's activities as those in the West. Prostitution in Japan is unlawful, but various activities similar to that amoral activity are not illicit. Therefore, it isn't unlikely that anime films tend to cater to Japanese desires and values. However, anime controversies should not be tolerated in front of children in North America.

Here is an example that Japanese anime has actually resulted in criminal activity: japanese-teenage-anime-lovers-who-became-real-thieves-447299

You are correct, many do have indications for the appropriate age range, but, as I'm sure you're aware, parental responsibility is simply not enough, anymore. My opponent seems to think that children will obediently turn the channel if they see a "17" label, but that is not the case. Parents often don't comprehend what their children view. Therefore, it is the corporation and the government's responsibility to protect them.

If corporate responsibility is to cover and protect the parents, and if Ronald McDonald can be retired due to children's obesity, then anime can be banned from North America!!!

It isn't prejudice, but merely corporate responsibility. Thank you.

Unfortunately I will not be available for Round 5, but I think I have made all points possible and thence couldn't possibly continue without beginning to repeat myself.

Thanks for the debate.

well if the goverment needs to protect children then there will be almost nothing if anything to watch because, if they were doing just that then they would be taking of south park, NCIS, law and order, days of our live, syfy , mtv, mtv2, nickolendion would have fewer shows , history channel would most likly be cancled because to little things that dont have vielonce, oxygen channel, u.s.a, comody central . with looking at this little list here alot of channels would be cancled. todays kids watch what ever they want usually. another american show that i know that a 3 year old watchs is south park thats alot more worse then her watching anime that has been combed throught by a older sibbling. also dont forget we americans would have very little movies because most have violence/ negative language/ sexual activity/ must i go on. such as saw, haloween, orphan, devil prodigies, chain saw massacar, i could go on for hours. also my oppenet decied not to go on to the fifth descusion thinking he had it made i think he needs to look at a greater picture them what hes looking at.

1stLordofTheVenerability forfeited this round.
Posted by dinokiller 5 years ago
Anime banning?!! NEVAR!!
Posted by 1stLordofTheVenerability 5 years ago
I thought Ronald was a nice touch, to be certain.
Posted by victoria56 5 years ago
my oppenet thinks he has it made. well he is not looking at what we as americans have in our t.v. shows cartoons ect........
Posted by victoria56 5 years ago
looks like my oppenet will lose because he has to prove am write with this all cartoons have stuff they shouldnt so no banning animes
Posted by victoria56 5 years ago
i say my oppenet needs to look at the full picture. what s/he is saying makes some sense i will admit but he is falling to look at mordern day cartoons for the u.s.a there fore he is missing out on the full consept
Perhaps it looks appalling because it is. There has been no argument whatsoever from my opponent. Therefore, nothing to rebut.

Actually, I personally don't have any problems with anime, and chose to take the pro stance in this scenaro for amusement and objectivity. So far, I've received neither. Constructing reasons to ban anime is quite difficult, unless it it, indeed, hentai or some other subjective material.

I am arguing that Anime should be banned, Vardas. :P
Posted by lovelife 5 years ago
-sigh- I'm really sorry but so far it looks terrible on both sides.
Posted by vardas0antras 5 years ago
Pro, you're supposed to prove that animes should be banned and not the other way around...
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.